The world has never seen such freezing heat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At this point, circa November 2008, no governments are really serious about it. Not in their heart of hearts. Some are more open to the arguments than others, and I'd guess most now pay at least lip service to them, but really, what is one to do? The ideal solution (wholescale conversion to a new, and non-polluting, energy source) just isn't really quite there as yet. Here in Australia, the government is sensibly enough angling toward the lower end of the carbon emission reductions its own reports have recommended. I say sensibly enough as the real action is in the international arena. A single nation is reduced to walking an awkward tightrope between having enough credibility to participate in the international discussions, and keeping the peace domestically.

In truth, this one boils down to China and the USA. They are of paramount importance, over and above any other nation. All the rest can do is deploy their moral authority and/or support as they see best.

The Harper government is terrible on this. Just terrible.

I don't expect them to last longer than about 2.5 years though so the continuing damage should be minimal.

Actually he's working with Obama on a north american attempt at carbon trading but that will be paid lip service by both sides just like in Europe. All solutions push the price of energy up and people with struggling finances won't take it. Any politician that goes full tilt on it will experience political suicide.

If spun the correct way, a foundation could be formed. You create some new jobs through some government programs on it. It's nothing ideal, thanks to politics, but it's something that could be worked.

The budget will be easier to balance once we finally get out of Iraq.

Back
Top Bottom