The trouble with tobacco haters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, that's "the" David Hockney, unless there are two smokers'-rights proponents by that name living in Bridlington, Yorkshire. He's a spokesperson for some smokers' rights group and has made media appearances to argue against public smoking bans before.

He obviously isn't "someone who..." watched his mother die of cancer after smoking her whole life, like my mother did.

I like Steve Martin's take on the subject of smoking in public:
"Excuse me, do you mind if I smoke?"
"Why no, do you mind if I fart?"

I have a right to breathe clean air when I am out and about. I think smoking is a horrid disgusting addiction, but what you do to your own body is your own business. The problem is smoking becomes other people's business when it's done in public.

PS. That was written so badly, I couldn't even finish it.

I have a right to breathe clean air when I am out and about. I think smoking is a horrid disgusting addiction, but what you do to your own body is your own business. The problem is smoking becomes other people's business when it's done in public.

PS. That was written so badly, I couldn't even finish it.

i wish smokers knew just how much they smelled. seriously. smoke breath makes me want to puke.

+1 for both of these. and how much being around them makes my clothes smell like smoke. not to mention how much it sucks being allergic to cigarette smoke and still having to be around it, even in areas where smoking's banned. the number of times i've seen people standing in front of no smoking signs while smoking is ridiculous.

My mom and I always get a kick out of the people who we'd see in the parking lot at a store lighting up in their car or as they're getting out, smoking the short distance to the store itself, only to throw the cigarette in the trash before going in. Given how expensive cigarettes are, talk about a real waste of money on so many levels. And then there's the people who stand outside in the freezing cold because they HAVE to have that cigarette and can't smoke it indoors.

Cigarette smoke always makes my eyes water and gives me a headache if I'm around it too long. There's a friend whose home I go to sometimes, and she always opens the door and smokes in the doorway so most of it goes outside (that's her own choosing, I don't tell her to do it-it's her place, not mine), but still, what I can smell is...ech. And I do always smell like smoke when I come home. It is indeed a really nasty smell.

Back
Top Bottom