The Religion of Peace?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now go and poll those majority of Muslims and see if they agree on what Sharia Law means or if they all agree on the interpretation of these laws. We've had this discussion in here before and there's a large disparity of what these laws mean, if they are literal, or how they are to be upheld amongst Muslim scholars, so how are you to have the absolute answer if those that know the religion can't?

I showed you a poll at the very beginning of the thread

A thousand years? The end of the Golden Age of Islamic Science was some time in the 13th century. Even if we go by your 1500 date, where are you getting 1000 years from??? (and this was all more of an aside and not really relevant anyway)

I thought there was no golden age, and they created nothing. I thought that was the point you were making. Islam is the problem, right?

1500, you're correct, is somewhat on the downhill slide of their scientific high point, not so much their political high point.

i'm sorry, but this has to be said. let's not let political correctness stand in the way of moral courage and the bravery to do what's right.

It's time to face up to the problem of sexual abuse in the white community

Joseph Harker
guardian.co.uk, Monday 6 May 2013 07.08 EDT

Every day across Britain, it seems, there's a new and horrific revelation of sexual abuse: last week we had the guilty plea of veteran TV presenter Stuart Hall, who confessed to 14 cases of indecent assault against 13 girls, the youngest only nine years old.

Days earlier the possible scale of child abuse in north Wales children's homes was revealed. We now know there were 140 allegations of historical abuse between 1963 and 1992. A total of 84 suspected offenders have been named, and it's claimed the abuse took place across 18 children's homes.

But after the shock has subsided and we have time to reflect on these revolting crimes, the main question in most reasonable people's minds must surely be: what is it about white people that makes them do this?

Jimmy Savile is alleged to have abused 300 young people, and in his case and in north Wales, the abuse could not have happened without a wide range of co-conspirators either grooming children or ensuring the truth never got out. Hardly a week goes by without another white man being arrested in connection with sexual abuse.

I'm beginning to feel sorry for whites. I have many white friends and I know most of them are wholly opposed to sexual abuse. But they must be worried that their whole community is getting a bad name. I can imagine that, every day, with each unfolding case, they must be hiding their face behind their hands, pleading: "Please, God, don't let it be a white person this time."

And with so many senior community figures implicated, many of us are starting to wonder what will happen to the next generation of whites. How will today's young whites learn that abuse is wrong when their role models are so tarnished?

First, though, we need to find out what's causing the problem. Is it something to do with white people's culture? Is it something to do with their loss of empire, and their new role in the world, as a diminished state desperately clinging to its glorious past? Do they seek to impose their last vestiges of power on the most vulnerable in society?

Or is it that, having spent so much of their history waging wars against each other, they cannot cope with the relative peace of the last half-century, and their frustration at not fighting is taken out on the weakest? I may have no evidence for this, but that's not going to stop me putting it out there as a cause.

Or maybe it's their religion? Child abuse in the priesthood has, of course, also been tolerated for decades, allowed to continue unpunished through a conspiracy of silence among the church hierarchy.

And despite the recent falls in attendance, Christianity still dominates European culture. And the Bible, which many whites still look to, has such verses as: "Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you strike him with a rod, he will not die. If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol [hell]." (Proverbs 23:13-14) It hardly fits with white society's claims to care for children. And even those who don't believe, such as Richard Dawkins, a senior cleric in the atheist community, have sought to downplay the gravity of child abuse, believing it's no worse than religion itself. As he wrote: "Horrible as sexual abuse no doubt was, the damage was arguably less than the long-term psychological damage inflicted by bringing the child up Catholic in the first place." Of course, what we really need now is for brave white community leaders to come out and distance themselves from the abusers.

Maybe, say, the new head of the Equality and Human Rights Commission should come out and admit the issue is "racial and cultural" and that she fears that "in those communities there were people who knew what was going on and didn't say anything, either because they're frightened or they're so separated from the rest of the communities". Or a white cabinet member could say: "There is a small minority of white men who believe that young children are fair game. And we have to be prepared to say that. You can only start solving a problem if you acknowledge it first." Or the head of a leading children's charity could say: "There is very troubling evidence that whites are overwhelmingly represented in the prosecutions for such offences." Yet none of this has happened. And this saddens me. Because until we hear those brave voices speaking out against abuse, what are we meant to think?

I urge white people to break this conspiracy of silence. Call on your leaders to show leadership. To show us all that you're not like the people who dominate the news headlines. That you really do care about protecting children.

You may think all the above is ridiculous; that I'm stirring ethnic tensions on an issue that is clearly about individuals and small groups of people and has nothing to do with race or religion. And that by making this spurious case I'm ignoring the core issue, which is that children, many of them in vulnerable situations, were terrorised and physically harmed by opportunistic men who were able to get away with their crimes for years. You'd be right.

But all of the above arguments were made within various parts of our print and broadcast media when similarly small numbers of Muslim men were revealed to be grooming young girls for sex. If you think the claims about white people are wrong, then so is the stereotyping of Britain's Muslims, and the widespread questioning of their culture and their religion, because of the perverted actions of a few.

Since the "black crime shock" tabloid stories of the 1980s, editors have known that stoking fears about misunderstood minorities is good for sales. If you object to this article, then you should understand how it feels to be a Muslim reading similar pieces pandering to Islamophobia day after day – and you should object to those too.

It's time to face up to the problem of sexual abuse in the white community | Joseph Harker | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Fundamentalism isn't a bastardization of religion, it's religion in its purest form.

This is where you and I will part, you are arguing the simpleton's approach in order to prove your point. Taking the literal word of your edition of your religion's book is not religion in its purest form. Just like I can discuss context, original text, whether its parable or literal about the Bible; Muslims are doing the same regarding their texts. Socio-economic factors will take part in what side one will usually fall on. The less education will often breed those that cling to the text at face value. I know of American denominations of Christianity that actually believe the version they read wasn't even translated that God wrote the Bible in several languages, they believe that men can't wear shorts(I can't remember what verse they took this from), and that fire breathing dragons were once real. So religion in its purest form?

Yep, it seems white men are more likely to be the perpetrators of child molestation (but don't have a monopoly on it as evidenced by the 4 year old girl who was raped to death in India last month). Serial Killers are also almost entirely white men. The numbers don't lie. It could be a social thing. It could be hereditary. But there's also no White Man's Dogma that we adhere to irrationally. I'd much rather be part of a social group where bad people occasionally do bad things than one where otherwise good people are convinced to do bad things. Or one where good people do good things because they're afraid of eternal punishment.
What a stupid article

This is where you and I will part, you are arguing the simpleton's approach in order to prove your point. Taking the literal word of your edition of your religion's book is not religion in its purest form. Just like I can discuss context, original text, whether its parable or literal about the Bible; Muslims are doing the same regarding their texts. Socio-economic factors will take part in what side one will usually fall on. The less education will often breed those that cling to the text at face value. I know of American denominations of Christianity that actually believe the version they read wasn't even translated that God wrote the Bible in several languages, they believe that men can't wear shorts(I can't remember what verse they took this from), and that fire breathing dragons were once real. So religion in its purest form?

The simpleton's approach? As opposed to your completely nuanced "nope. not religions fault" approach? You're not even willing to dissect religious teachings and take some while condemning others. And you want to throw around the simpleton name calling? Yes, education has a lot to do with it. Just like education has a lot to do with not following Christianity so closely. And you know why education is so important? Because you're able to see religion for the bullshit that it is.

"Taking the literal word of your edition of your religion's book is not religion in its purest form."

Yes it is. It literally is. And you keep trotting out this whole "interpretation" crap. We're not talking about vague, possibly symbolic verses. We're talking about simple, clear declarations.

"Socio-economic factors will take part in what side one will usually fall on."

For the last time, WHAT socio-economic factors? You can't keep using this as your magic, cover-all word. Do some thinking and some writing. Actually, stop using that word all together and be specific for a change

And I'll ask you again, are you not willing to concede that there are parts of religion that are problem causing in this case?

For the record, 200 000 people were involved in these riots (so far)

"Of course, what we really need now is for brave white community leaders to come out and distance themselves from the abusers."

We call that the legal system. Those white men get thrown in jail because we don't tolerate that kind of behaviour

The simpleton's approach? As opposed to your completely nuanced "nope. not religions fault" approach? You're not even willing to dissect religious teachings and take some while condemning others.
No, just because you are arguing that it's purely religion's fault, does not mean I am arguing that it's purely not religion's fault.

"Socio-economic factors will take part in what side one will usually fall on."
For the last time, WHAT socio-economic factors?
How about one that you already conceded to; education?

And I'll ask you again, are you not willing to concede that there are parts of religion that are problem causing in this case?
I believe that religion will produce leaders, followers, and everything in between. The leaders preaching the word can manipulate, spin, or even "interpret" they way they'd like. The economics, education, and personal curiosity will determine how the followers will understand. Religions can be used for good, for bad, and everything in between. To pretend that you know that the Muslim who chases down and kills the infidel is practicing the purest form of the religion's original intent is quite absurd, and to pretend that other factors won't take part in how the religion is understood by its followers, or even by you is ridiculous. The violence does not survive in a vacuum.

right, because you'd rather dodge all the questions that poll answers

The first sentence alone makes it clear that there is no blanket understanding of Sharia Law.

Yet some of its staunchest backers are also strong supporters of religious pluralism

Religious pluralism would not be tolerable under some definitions of Sharia Law, so right off the bat it's clear there is no absolute.

Gee, I can't imagine why religious people would be reluctant to engage you in a discussion about religion.

I'm supposed to pretend it's not bullshit? It's not my problem if people are offended by that.

No, just because you are arguing that it's purely religion's fault, does not mean I am arguing that it's purely not religion's fault.

I believe that religion will produce leaders, followers, and everything in between. The leaders preaching the word can manipulate, spin, or even "interpret" they way they'd like. The economics, education, and personal curiosity will determine how the followers will understand. Religions can be used for good, for bad, and everything in between. To pretend that you know that the Muslim who chases down and kills the infidel is practicing the purest form of the religion's original intent is quite absurd, and to pretend that other factors won't take part in how the religion is understood by its followers, or even by you is ridiculous. The violence does not survive in a vacuum.

You're intentionally clouding the subject. Yes, of course there is more than one factor. But at the very heart of it is religion and people clinging to irrational beliefs.

You mean the one that leads people further from religion and toward rational thought? You're supporting my argument with that one. Any more?

I'm supposed to pretend it's not bullshit? It's not my problem if people are offended by that.

I'm with Diemen on this. Most people wouldn't discuss anything with someone who gets rude during discussion. Put it this way, would you want to discuss religion with someone who thinks atheism/agnosticism is bullshit and uses the same tone as you do?

I'm with Diemen on this. Most people wouldn't discuss anything with someone who gets rude during discussion. Put it this way, would you want to discuss religion with someone who thinks atheism/agnosticism is bullshit and uses the same tone as you do?

I'd be fine with that. I assume that most religious people think atheism is bullshit, whether they phrase it that way or not. And every religious person thinks every other religion is bullshit, whether they phrase it that way or not. If you're secure in your position, you won't be offended.

And now we have come full circle to see the real reason for your thread. Your pretending to truly "engage" was so completely disingenuous.

:wave:

What does this even mean? What is my "real reason for this thread"? My position is coherent, rational, consistent, and completely genuine (how many of those can you check off?). I guess it's an easy out for you though, so see ya. Good job not proving (or even having, it seems) any point whatsoever. At least now you get to pretend that you're leaving having done so.

I'd be fine with that. I assume that most religious people think atheism is bullshit, whether they phrase it that way or not. And every religious person thinks every other religion is bullshit, whether they phrase it that way or not. If you're secure in your position, you won't be offended.

OK, but who really likes abrasiveness during discussions? Even the most staunch atheist can be considerate with tone and language, and see that rudeness creates a split between the those involved - as a sort of us vs. them.

OK, but who really likes abrasiveness during discussions? Even the most staunch atheist can be considerate with tone and language, and see that rudeness creates a split between the those involved - as a sort of us vs. them.

In my defense, my language is fairly consistent in all parts of the forum :sexywink:

I'm not going to change my style depending on the topic. That would be dishonest

I modify /make changes from time to time.

What's honest and dishonest, that's kind of funny.

I used to think my style defined me.
A style is no more a person than an opinion, they can and should be changed, when better ones are available.

I'm not going to stop using naughty words because I'm writing about religion (I only used the word style because you did). I'm not defined by it; I'm just not going to edit myself.

I agree with your last point completely

I'm not going to change my style depending on the topic. That would be dishonest

It might help changing your overall style in FYM at least. It wouldn't be dishonest to try to be more patient with people who don't share your viewpoint.

I mean, what incentive is there for someone with a different position than you to engage you in discussion about religion if you're just going to shoot them down, insult their intelligence and call their belief system bullshit?

It's a shitty way to treat others. Probably because you don't have a good set of religious morals.

:wink:

whon whonnnnnn :)

I get frustrated when people refuse to address any real points and are more interested in making the same baseless declarations about their own stance (which would be fine if they weren't masquerading as someone interested in actual debate). You can see that this thread started off on a reasonable note. I'm more than happy to have a civil discussion with anyone about anything. But the mere act of criticizing religion puts people on the defensive and I refuse to pussy foot around it. You'll also see that I wasn't the one to deal the first insult. People decide for themselves how they're going to be treated. I'm happy to deal with them that way (I know what you think about that :wink: ). But I'm more happy when they see themselves out of the conversation (even if it takes some faux, insincere 'victory' by them first) so civil conversation can resume.

My point is this: If I were to say current gun laws are bullshit, nobody would bat an eye. If I were to say the conservative party's platform in this country is bullshit, nobody would get all uppity. On principle alone, I refuse to treat religion with a disproportionate amount of respect. Besides, I think I was able to make it to page 2 without any swears :angel:

I will try to be more Sam Harris, less Christopher Hitchens (minus the intellect), but I can't make any promises

I could care less about the tone, although, be abrasive and expect the same in return. But it's the intellectual dishonesty that annoys me. In this one instance I am with BVS: fundamentalism doesn't mean what you insist it means and so the whole discussion is off at cross-purposes right there.

I could care less about the tone, although, be abrasive and expect the same in return. But it's the intellectual dishonesty that annoys me. In this one instance I am with BVS: fundamentalism doesn't mean what you insist it means and so the whole discussion is off at cross-purposes right there.

I'm not being intellectually dishonest. Nothing I ever say is dishonest. I'm not a bullshitter. But go ahead an define fundamentalism as you see it.

And you couldn't care less ;) *bwink*

Back
Top Bottom