The Pope resigns / New Pope discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was raised Catholic and went to church every Sunday and religious classes (CCD) once a week. Washing feet was not a major gesture during my upbringing, so from my perspective, not too many would think of Catholicism over that. As I said earlier, blessing yourself or receiving communion would be that.

It's not just Catholicism, it's all Christianity. Jesus washed the feet of Peter at the last supper as a symbolism of being washed clean of sin. Peter then asked Jesus to wash his feet and his hands as well but Jesus goes on to explain,

“Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. 13“You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. 15I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them."

Thus, its ritualism on Easter Thursday in Catholicism and as a general symbolism of purification in all of Christianity.

I can, actually. Washing of feet as a symbol of sanctification long precedes history of child molestation in the Catholic church, so I don't think the Pope should place himself in the shoes of those who are unaware of that. It's on them to inform themselves before passing judgment.

Err so yeah, what Martha said.

Much more eloquently said, thank you.

Well the argument was never that everyone will make that connection. It was that getting mad when someone does is misdirected. Be mad at the molesters and at the church for trying to cover it up and creating an atmosphere where these things are said

I don't know about that. I think it IS (justifiably) anger inducing when people jump to making a pedophilia connection first in a church that is much more than that scandal.

Though the cover up of said scandal is FAR more anger inducing.

I was never mad, just confused. As a Protestant, it does bug me seeing the connection in a practice my church partakes in as well.

Bottom line: if the catholic church doesn't want to be associated with pedophilia (which it unquestionably is) its on them to stop protecting the pedophiles. I can't understand how it's getting deflected onto the people making the comments

Bottom line: if the catholic church doesn't want to be associated with pedophilia (which it unquestionably is) its on them to stop protecting the pedophiles.

No disagreement that it's on them to stop protecting pedophiles.

I can't understand how it's getting deflected onto the people making the comments

Because the people making the comments are using it as an excuse to bash everything about the church. The church is more than its failings. If your first instinct when seeing the pope washing feet is to crack a pedophile joke, then you're not exactly taking the high road.

If the supposed high road doesn't include a healthy dose of ridicule, I'll happily take the low

I like this picture

3edb319cdf23b20a2d0f6a7067009bd6.jpg

I like Pope Francis, I know he has only been Pope two weeks, but so far I think he is a much better person than both Ratzinger or John Paul II.

Pope Francis rocked some religious and atheist minds today when he declared that everyone was redeemed through Jesus, including atheists.

During his homily at Wednesday Mass in Rome, Francis emphasized the importance of "doing good" as a principle that unites all humanity, and a "culture of encounter" to support peace.

"The Lord created us in His image and likeness, and we are the image of the Lord, and He does good and all of us have this commandment at heart: do good and do not do evil. All of us. ‘But, Father, this is not Catholic! He cannot do good.’ Yes, he can... "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! ‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone!".. We must meet one another doing good. ‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good: we will meet one another there.

Pope Francis Says Atheists Who Do Good Are Redeemed, Not Just Catholics

This is huge for a pope to acknowledge atheists - let alone anyone who isn't Catholic - in a positive way. Its almost too good to be true in a way, but then again he has a reputation for social justice and being humble, unlike the other guy.

That's massively different than the prevailing line of thought in most strains of Protestantism, at least in the US. Interesting.

It's nice I guess, but is it anything more than lip service?

now if only he could not be homophobic.

That would be nice. Or "Oh ya, wear condoms so you don't get AIDS" would be cool too.... but I guess atheists going to heaven is... something (a pat on the back?).
It's sort of like when Columbia House used to send me CDs I didn't want because I forgot to opt out

every now and then they say,

some of that stuff we used to say,
well, it was nonsense, just forget about it.

the rest of the stuff? it's legit, not a scam.
(until the next time we need to revise)

The bishops or cardinals or whatever came out a couple days later and said the pope was mistaken about that

I heard that exorcism story last week, but haven't looked much into it. Pope Francis is trying to wave it off, isn't he?

So far, a marked improvement on the last guy...

Francis showed a personal and spontaneous side as he met with thousands of children from Jesuit schools across Italy and Albania. Tossing aside his prepared remarks, Francis surprised the kids by asking them if they’d like to ask him some questions instead.

“Yes!” they shouted to cheers and applause — and the concern of teachers who fretted that no one had prepared anything.

One of the most touching moments came when Teresa, a bright-eyed redhead no more than six, asked Francis flat out if he had wanted to be pope.

Francis joked that only someone who hated himself would ever want to be pope. But then he became serious: “I didn’t want to be pope.”

Someone else asked him why he had renounced the papal apartments in the Apostolic Palace in favour of his spare suite in the Vatican hotel, where he has been living ever since the March conclave that elected him the first Jesuit pope and first pontiff from the Americas.

It wasn’t so much a question of luxury as personality, he said. “I need to live among people,” he said. “If I was living alone, isolated, it wouldn’t be good for me. A professor asked me the same question, ‘why don’t you go and live there (in the Papal apartments)’? And I replied: ‘Listen to me professor, it is for psychiatric reasons,“’ he said chuckling.

This week, the Vatican confirmed that Francis wouldn’t vacation at the papal summer retreat at Castel Gandolofo, in the hills south of Rome, and would instead remain in the Santa Marta hotel with a reduced work schedule. Francis’ predecessors have all decamped for at least a few weeks each summer to the estate, where the lush gardens, lakeside perch and cool breezes provide a welcome respite to the oppressive summer heat of Rome. The estate, which by acreage is bigger than Vatican City, is entirely walled in, making it a perfect escape for a pope who wants isolation and solitude — but not one who wants to eat breakfast each morning with a group of fellow priests, as Francis does in the communal dining room of the Vatican hote

He showed a similar ease on Friday as he engaged in a good 30 minutes of banter with the schoolchildren, casually making the points he has made in his homilies and speeches: about the “scandal” of poverty and how the world frets when the stock market dips but cares nothing when a homeless person dies, and how everyone should learn a lesson from the poor.

Once or twice a year, Pope Benedict XVI would take questions from young people, but the questions were always submitted in advance so he could prepare a response.

And:

Pope Francis has given a 17-year-old boy with Down Syndrome the ride of his life – sort of.

Francis invited Alberto di Tullio up onto his open-top Mercedes at the end of his general audience Wednesday, letting him spin around on the pontiff’s white chair while tens of thousands of people looked on.

So, John Paul II performed two 'miracles'...

How does obviously fraudulent information like that make believers feel? Honest question... with maybe a hint of snark... just a hint.

So, John Paul II performed two 'miracles'...

How does obviously fraudulent information like that make believers feel? Honest question... with maybe a hint of snark... just a hint.

Well, I'm a believer I haven't seen any miracles with the exception of the St. Louis Cardinals Game 6 of the World Series comeback against the Rangers. Joking aside - I do believe they are possible. I also think there will be a time when such miracles are commonplace, but it certainly doesn't seem that time is now.

I'm not the largest support of the role of Pope, but I do think the current Pope is setting a great example in Christian humility. Unfortunately, the other recent Popes played a role in the sexual abuse cover-ups and their legacies are marred in my eyes - with or without miracles.

I guess my point is, if John Paul is on his way to sainthood - I think it's safe to say we can agree that he didn't perform miracles - does that not cheapen the idea of sainthood? Does it not, as a believer, lead you to question the miracles supposedly performed by other saints? Doesn't it call a great deal of the lore of Christianity into question?

I guess my point is, if John Paul is on his way to sainthood - I think it's safe to say we can agree that he didn't perform miracles - does that not cheapen the idea of sainthood? Does it not, as a believer, lead you to question the miracles supposedly performed by other saints? Doesn't it call a great deal of the lore of Christianity into question?

Nah.

"...blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

Faith is strange thing for many of us. To quote Bono in Playboy Mansion, "And though I can't say why, I know I've got to believe."

For me, faith is just there. That doesn't mean it is devoid of logic and reason, but it plays only a part. As I came to know the New Testament, after studying Greek Philosophy - it not only made intellectual sense to me, it pulled at my heart and soul like nothing before -or since. It's as real as anything can be real - and my faith doesn't require any more miracles than the one of my own conversion.

Yet - I would love to see some actual miracles like those recorded in the Gospels taking place on a daily basis. Maybe soon...

Back
Top Bottom