The Opposite Of Loneliness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I knew many people in college who partied hard, and partied often. And they also studied very hard, and got a darned good education.

yes. and sports/activities could easily take up 20+ hours a week. you studied sunday night through thursday night. weekends were shaking off the hangover and then studying until 7pm and then going out.

again: i loved college.

these days, hangovers are very rare because they simply aren't worth it.

I was never one for partying or drinking but I don't look down on it or anything. I honestly just don't see the appeal.

You sound like (most likely a much younger version of) me. I had to look up what INTP is. I commuted all four years of college, I had to work part time and I knew that dorm life wasn't for me. My parents couldn't afford it anyway, and my debt would have been much bigger. I still enjoyed college, because I felt so insignificant and uncomfortable in high school and much more free and comfortable in college.

The older I get the more comfortable I am with being alone and (sometimes) lonely. That's probably not a good thing, but in some ways it is. I know people who just cannot be alone, and they make very poor choices as a result. And sometimes the loneliest people are surrounded by all kinds of people and friends. I take baby steps, sometimes they work out well and sometimes they're a disaster. Disaster makes me retreat and protect myself-but now it's just not the end of the world for me, not by a long shot. I can shrug it off much easier and the hurt doesn't last as long. I think it's great to get to that point, no matter how long it takes.

I don't mind being alone and it doesn't bother me, but I do wish I had an interconnected group of friends. Not being involved in college got in the way of making those "friends for life" kind of people. I know exactly what you're saying though and I can relate to that. I have to move my relationships in itty bitty steps because I'm far more cautious about it than most.

The funny things from the internet thread will just be a series of Dilbert strips once Jive turns 33.

35 was my tipping point. Once I hit 35, I had my first ever bout of bronchitis, and my first (teeny, tiny) cavity.

:(

I don't see how anyone can just get drunk and party in college, with the obscene amount of money it costs. Isn't that like an f you to your parents, if they're paying for it? And either way it's ultimately just an f you to yourself.

All I did during college was study and work, and the cost of mine was not as obscene as it is now. I could have never done that, I guess I was just too responsible :shrug: I don't drink anyway and I didn't back then either.

Actually partying at college should in theory be cheaper than partying elsewhere due to subsidised beer promotions and the like. I honestly reckon everyone should get drunk at least once at college, even if it's just to find out it's not for them. And for the record I was far from being a "jock" or party animal or any such thing at college. Spent far more nights in the library or just watching tv than out partying.

marina_r650x390.jpg

she lives

Musical by late Yale coed reportedly headed to New York festival

This might get a little dark, but I've got this weird fascination with the photos that get used for memorials or at funerals when someone dies. I don't quite know how to put my finger on it, but there's something kind of eerie or even poignant in hindsight to think about those pictures being taken and the juxtaposition in what they'll ultimately be used for. Or wondering if that photo has already been taken of you... I'm probably not expressing it the right way and it's probably kind of disturbing, so I'll leave it at that ;)

I understand exactly what you mean: you sort of are perpetually searching for one defining photo of yourself. I certainly don't feel it's happened yet. I wonder if others do.

I don't see how anyone can just get drunk and party in college, with the obscene amount of money it costs. Isn't that like an f you to your parents, if they're paying for it? And either way it's ultimately just an f you to yourself.

All I did during college was study and work, and the cost of mine was not as obscene as it is now. I could have never done that, I guess I was just too responsible :shrug: I don't drink anyway and I didn't back then either.

I guess if parents are paying for it, but that wasn't the case for me or my sibs or a lot of my friends. But, I didn't get drunk or party that hard. However, in the spirit of the article, the opportunities were certainly there if I'd wanted to! I never felt left out even when I abstained from the party.

I understand exactly what you mean: you sort of are perpetually searching for one defining photo of yourself. I certainly don't feel it's happened yet. I wonder if others do.

Ya, there's certainly an element of that... I also mean that, only after the death has occurred, looking back at that day. It could've been the most insignificant moment... It's hard to explain... Almost like looking into their eyes in the photo and knowing that they had no idea when it was taken, that picture would be the one used beside their casket. But if you were to watch a movie of their life after the fact, only then would it be a very poignant moment. And then trying to project that onto your own life. It's weird, I know

35 was my tipping point. Once I hit 35, I had my first ever bout of bronchitis, and my first (teeny, tiny) cavity.

:(

17 was my tipping point. I've had more cavities in my life than I have teeth. When I was 17 I found out I was showing early signs of osteopenia and that since I was 13 I had actually lost an inch of height (I have gained half an inch back with physical therapy). I found out about my joint problems and chronic joint pain. Got a formal diagnosis for my insomnia. Found out that I might need INVASIVE reconstructive surgery on a joint within the next 10 years, etc.

3+ years later I've managed to do things to make myself healthier but I'm still in pain.

Back
Top Bottom