The Murder Of Ahmaud Arbery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As Ahmaud Arbery, the 25-year-old black man who was fatally shot while jogging through his Georgia neighborhood, was lying on the pavement suffering from three gunshot wounds, his alleged killer yelled “Fucking n****r.”

That is what Georgia Bureau of Investigations Special Agent Richard Dial testified during a preliminary hearing Thursday morning, which was streamed online.

I saw an interview with Arbery's mother. She was asked if Trump had called her - no. Does she want him to call - no. She said in her view, her son died in February, if Trump cared, he'd have called by now.

I saw an interview with Arbery's mother. She was asked if Trump had called her - no. Does she want him to call - no. She said in her view, her son died in February, if Trump cared, he'd have called by now.

Trump phone call is the last thing a grieving mother needs or wants.

i recommend everyone listen to this podcast with Ta-Nehisi Coates, not someone noted for being terribly optimistic.

just the opening should catch your attention:

Ta-Nehisi Coates
I can’t believe I’m gonna say this, but I see hope. I see progress right now, at this moment.

I had an interesting call on Saturday with my dad, who was born in 1946, grew up dirt poor in Philadelphia, lived in a truck, went off to Vietnam, came back, joined the Panther Party, and was in Baltimore for the 1968 riots. Would’ve been about 22 at that time.

I asked him if he could compare what he saw in 1968 to what he was seeing now. And what he said to me was there was no comparison — that this is much more sophisticated. And I say, well, what do you mean? He said it would have been like if somebody from the turn of the 20th century could see the March on Washington.

The idea that black folks in their struggle against the way the law is enforced in their neighborhoods would resonate with white folks in Des Moines, Iowa, in Salt Lake City, in Berlin, in London — that was unfathomable to him in ’68, when it was mostly black folks in their own communities registering their great anger and great pain.

I don’t want to overstate this, but there are significant swaths of people and communities that are not black, that to some extent have some perception of what that pain and that suffering is. I think that’s different.

Ezra Klein
Do you think there is more multiethnic solidarity today than there was then?

Ta-Nehisi Coates
I do. Within my lifetime, I don’t think there’s been a more effective movement than Black Lives Matter. They brought out the kind of ridiculousness that black folks deal with on a daily basis in the policing in their communities.

George Floyd is not new. The ability to broadcast it the way it was broadcasted is new. But black folks have known things like that were going on in their communities, in their families, for a very long time. You have a generation of people who are out in the streets right now, many of whom only have the vaguest memory of George Bush. They remember George Bush the way I remember Carter. The first real president who they actually grappled with was a black dude. That’s a different type of consciousness.

https://www.vox.com/2020/6/5/212795...ePl8qsESx8yDOUHIf02yFjx9bXOy9dm4L4mvBMbKi4emw

I'll agree with that. The diversity of the people at the marches is very inspiring, indeed. And not just in race or ethnicity, but in other areas as well.

The fact that so many polls are showing a majority of Americans are supportive of the protests and police reform speaks volumes, too. People are well past ready for a change.

It's pretty clear that being African American and female makes your life worth even less. Injuries-none No forced entry.

Louisville police release the Breonna Taylor incident report. It's virtually blank
Tessa Duvall
Louisville Courier Journal

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Nearly three months after Louisville Metro Police officers fatally shot Breonna Taylor in her South End apartment, the department has released the incident report from that night.

Except, it is almost entirely blank.

The four-page report lists the time, date, case number, incident location and the victim's name — Breonna Shaquelle Taylor — as well as the fact that she is a 26-year-old black female.

But it redacts Taylor's street number, apartment number and date of birth — all of which have been widely reported.

And it lists her injuries as "none," even though she was shot at least eight times and died on her hallway floor in a pool of blood, according to attorneys for her family.

It lists the charges as "death investigation — LMPD involved" but checks the "no" box under "forced entry," even though officers used a battering ram to knock in Taylor's apartment door.

It also lists under the "Offenders" portion of the report the three officers who fired in Taylor's apartment, fatally shooting her — Sgt. Jon Mattingly, 47; Myles Cosgrove, 42; and Brett Hankison, 44.

What's missing from the report

But the most important portion of the report — the "narrative" of events that spells out what happened March 13 — has only two words: "PIU investigation."

And the rest of the report has no information filled in at all.

"I read this report and have to ask the mayor, the police chief and the city's lawyers: Are you kidding? This is what you consider being transparent to taxpayers and the public?" asked Richard A. Green, editor of The Courier Journal.

the libertarians are finding common ground with certain groups of BLM protesters: they both want to abolish the police:

Will Minneapolis be safer after its police force is disbanded? Only if the city follows a libertarian approach will the people be guaranteed greater protection for themselves and their property. All other methods jeopardize resistance to a police state.

[...]

Libertarians, especially those of an anarcho-capitalist bent, have long called for abolishing the police or at least severely downsizing or decentralizing them. However, there are reasons for them to be apprehensive about what Minneapolis appears to be spearheading.

The libertarian understanding of police is that they are not just the government’s law enforcers but more fundamentally a state response to the market demand for security of persons and property.

Like all government “services,” policing is financed through compulsory taxation backed by the threat of force. The moral and logical implications of this should be obvious, but the libertarian is also aware of the economic impacts when only one side of a transaction is voluntary.

Thankfully, it is easy to visualize what policing or protection services would look like under a totally voluntary arrangement. Most of what the police provide is already largely available on the open, voluntary market. In fact, what’s difficult is quantifying all of the products and services that go into this field, from cameras to alarm systems to weapons and security guards.

Now, when it comes to some powers like making arrests and incarcerating, police have more of a monopoly. Might that exclusivity be a contributing factor to unaccountability for police brutality and the troubling facts surrounding criminal justice and record prison populations?

In a libertarian order, where private property rights are secured through voluntary means, there is the benefit of economic signals in the form of prices. Under the status quo, governments may calculate some costs, but there is no sales revenue feedback, due to their “customers” being coerced into “buying” whatever is “offered.”

If police answered to customers just as grocers and hairdressers do, they wouldn’t be wasting time doing things that customers wouldn’t pay for, like pursuing the failed War on Drugs or petty rule infractions that generate revenue for governments.

Many police officers want to serve the public, and they nobly try their best to do so. But they’re up against a system that actually serves the government, as it makes the call on what is deemed a security threat. Police militarization is a consequence of this.

https://www.theadvocates.org/2020/0...-will-private-security-services-save-the-day/

imagine the business possibilities for ADT. maybe we can hire our own armed security guard as part of a package or promotion?

It's pretty clear that being African American and female makes your life worth even less. Injuries-none No forced entry.

Louisville police release the Breonna Taylor incident report. It's virtually blank
Tessa Duvall
Louisville Courier Journal

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Nearly three months after Louisville Metro Police officers fatally shot Breonna Taylor in her South End apartment, the department has released the incident report from that night.

Except, it is almost entirely blank.

The four-page report lists the time, date, case number, incident location and the victim's name — Breonna Shaquelle Taylor — as well as the fact that she is a 26-year-old black female.

But it redacts Taylor's street number, apartment number and date of birth — all of which have been widely reported.

And it lists her injuries as "none," even though she was shot at least eight times and died on her hallway floor in a pool of blood, according to attorneys for her family.

It lists the charges as "death investigation — LMPD involved" but checks the "no" box under "forced entry," even though officers used a battering ram to knock in Taylor's apartment door.

It also lists under the "Offenders" portion of the report the three officers who fired in Taylor's apartment, fatally shooting her — Sgt. Jon Mattingly, 47; Myles Cosgrove, 42; and Brett Hankison, 44.

What's missing from the report

But the most important portion of the report — the "narrative" of events that spells out what happened March 13 — has only two words: "PIU investigation."

And the rest of the report has no information filled in at all.

"I read this report and have to ask the mayor, the police chief and the city's lawyers: Are you kidding? This is what you consider being transparent to taxpayers and the public?" asked Richard A. Green, editor of The Courier Journal.

:gah: what BS!!! :sad:

yes a double down on a person who is a women and black.

(CNN)Dozens of people gathered at Palmdale city council chambers Friday as officials held a press conference on the death of a 24-year-old black man who was found hanging from a tree in northern Los Angeles County.

Shortly after 3:30 a.m. Monday, a passerby noticed a man, later identified as Robert L. Fuller, hanging from a tree in Palmdale, California. Fire department personnel who responded to the scene determined he was dead, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said in a statement.

Palmdale city described it as "an alleged death by suicide."

"Sadly, it is not the first such incident since the COVID-19 pandemic began," the city said in a statement that included information on resources for mental health. "The city remains committed to addressing mental health issues during these difficult times. We are in this together."

When a spokesperson for the sheriff's department announced the preliminary findings of Fuller's death during the news conference, outraged crowds demanded an investigation.

"We're working hard to try to figure out exactly what happened," Palmdale Mayor Steven D. Hofbauer shouted as he tried to calm people down.

Attendees asked for camera footage of the incident, but a city official said there's none. Throughout the news conference, officials repeatedly called it an ongoing investigation, saying a full autopsy is underway.

After the press conference, the city issued a statement saying it understands the community's call for a full investigation into the death.

"We will fully cooperate with the Sheriff's Department, the Los Angeles County's Coroner's Offices, and any and all investigative agencies looking into the matter," Hofbauer said.

"We are awaiting all available details surrounding this tragedy. In addition, we are working with local community leaders to increase the dialogue on how we can best work together and build a safer and more inclusive community," he added.

A full autopsy is expected to be conducted in the immediate future, the Sheriff's Department said.

Investigators have been in contact with Fuller's family members and are continuing their investigation into the circumstances surrounding his death, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

Palmdale city manager J.J. Murphy said he would be speaking to Fuller's sister after the news conference. CNN is attempting to reach out to Fuller's family members.

Palmdale is about 60 miles from Los Angeles.

:sad:
I heard about this last night on democratic undergeound (DU)
Suicide? Yeah, maaaaybe, maybe NOT!

As pointed out on comments there - why "hang yourself" right near particular building x ( think it was an Official City building). Some people think they're lying about "no" camera footage.
It's a deeply red area as well

The area were he was found had a park, City Hall, and a Library...

Mr Fuller's sister said she saw no reason that he'd do that, didn't appear as such.
Though sometime people can hide their intentions.

Still, seems damn suspiciousous to me. In such a public place I'd almost think IF it was a suicide there'd be a note like "... shame on you because you did/didn't ______..."
:|:|:|

I shudder to think... :(

the libertarians are finding common ground with certain groups of BLM protesters: they both want to abolish the police:

imagine the business possibilities for ADT. maybe we can hire our own armed security guard as part of a package or promotion?

Abolish the police = private security forces

It would be for libertarians, at least I hope that's what McBeal was saying.

Oh I don’t read good

don't worry bud, i'll sign you up for some classes in sept:

06caf877af295f4aa564ac373eb3ff87_md.jpg

What fine examples of law enforcement

(CNN)The Atlanta Police officer who shot and killed Rayshard Brooks at a Wendy's parking lot last week was charged with felony murder, and the other officer on scene was charged with aggravated assault, Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard announced Wednesday.

The decision comes just five days after Brooks was shot twice in the back in Atlanta during an attempted arrest. Officer Garrett Rolfe, who shot at Brooks three times, faces 11 charges in all, and officer Devin Brosnan, who was also on scene, faces three charges.

After shooting Brooks, Rolfe said "I got him" and kicked him, and Brosnan then stood on Brooks' shoulder, Howard said. The officers did not provide medical aid to Brooks for over two minutes after shooting him, Howard said.

Their demeanor after the shooting "did not reflect any fear or danger of Mr. Brooks, but reflected other kinds of emotions," Howard said.

Brosnan has agreed to be a state's witness, Howard said.

"I don't remember a circumstance where we had an officer, particularly in a case this important, to step forward and say that they would cooperate with the state," he said.

Two of the counts against Rolfe are for aggravated assault related to a bullet he fired that hit an occupied vehicle nearby in the Wendy's lot. Brosnan's three charges include two counts of violations of oath of office.

Rolfe was fired and Brosnan was placed on administrative duty in the wake of the shooting.

(CNN)The three men accused in the February 23 shooting death of Ahmaud Arbery were indicted Wednesday by a grand jury, a district attorney said.

Glynn County's Grand Jury has indicted Travis McMichael, his father, Greg McMichael, and William R. Bryan on malice and felony murder charges in Arbery's death, Cobb District Attorney Joyette M. Holmes said at a press conference.

"We will continue to be intentional in the pursuit of justice for this family and the community at large as the prosecution of this case continues," said Holmes, the specially appointed prosecutor in the case.

The charges also include aggravated assault, false imprisonment and criminal attempt to commit false imprisonment, according to the indictment.

FBI said they had photos of it in 2019, so did it look like this back then too? Was it a joke that finally caught up when a black driver joined the ranks ?

Or did someone tie it up like this for this year specifically

Back
Top Bottom