The most politically-insightful show in the history of US pop culture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
shart1780 said:
I've only seen through season 2 but holy crap it's so awesome. Watched the last episode of season 2 last night and was thinking "WTF!!! Crazy!!"

I'd have to say Lieutenant Adama is the biggest badass ever. Balta is also a great character. He's so selfish and pathetic yet you can't help but feel for him. Some of his scenes are really intense. Cool stuff. I love the show. Incredibly well made. Nothing like it on TV.

Oh, and NO ONE buy the mini series. Buy season one which contains an uncut miniseries and a bunch of episodes for not much more expensive.

I repeat: DO NOT BUY THE MINI SERIES.
I'm glad you're enjoying it. That Season 2 finale WAS awesome, eh? I just love Baltar because he's so human. He's petty and anxious and jealous, but I found his arc changed from the more selfish approach in Season 1 to gradually becoming a hero in most of Season 2. Only when, after turning down the presidency in favor of saving Roslin and then finding out she never liked or trusted him and that power was kind of being denied him as legitimate, did he turn. All of a sudden, he became very reckless and wanted power very badly, as all his insecurities came to the fore. I also felt so badly about how that cylon prisoner's death destroyed him. The writer Ron Moore and the actor James Callis have both mentioned how Baltar's decision to settle New Caprica rose not out of pettiness but a decision to follow the public will. I hadn't really realized that but he ended up trying to be democratic, even though he had initially misled them to that choice.

The premiere of Season 3 is just as great and may be out in August.

This series is a great series. So far, I think season 2 was the best.

AEON said:
This series is a great series. So far, I think season 2 was the best.

I actually preferred Season 1 as a whole, but thought Season 2.5 had 2 of the best episodes of the series so far: Pegasus (extended version) and Lay Down Your Burdens. Just awesome stuff.

I hear a lot of dissing on season 2, and I don't see why. Yeah, I think season 1 was better, but not THAT much better. Sometimes I kind of like the filler episodes. It's a little bit of a break for my head.

I'm different from a lot of fans because I actually don't like the action stuff. Season 2.0 had tons of that, while Season 2.5 had much more effective drama to me. I just loved "Pegasus", "Resurrection Ship 1 and 2", "Epiphanies" and then the final 3 episodes "Downloaded", and "Lay Down Your Burdens 1 and 2".

What were your favorite episodes from each season?

Spoilers maybe.

For season one (besides the miniseries which is too easy) my favorites have to be:

Litmus - Love the tension in the episode. The bombing angle brought up some interesting questions. Also Karen's scene's back on Caprica with the other cylons. Cool stuff. Adama's trial. One of my favorite scenes in the whole series. Oh yeah, and I loved seeing Karen and Tyrol together. They're two of my favorite characters. Come on why did he have to fall for Cally instead? Laaaame. She's not even close. Oh well, Helo is a really cool guy.

Colonial Day - I thought the way they handled the election on the show was just awesome. Extremely interesting and entertaining. Entertaining politics. Cool. Watching Roslin, Adama, and especially Baltar and Tigh get into the whole political game was awesome and hilarious. Plus we get to see a lighter side to Kara and Lee, which I'd like to see more of. Tigh's wife gets on my nerves. Watching Kara and Helo on Caprica was awesome too. I loved the dance party at the end. One of my favorite scenes. Again, Commander Adama is my hero. This could possibly be my favorite episode.

Six Degrees of Seperation - Mostly because of the great scenes with Baltar. This episode was pretty funny too. Bathroom scenes were hilarious. "you forgot to wash your hands". Bwahahahaha. The scene in the cell, while he was praying gave me some hope for him. Then Caprica Six shows up and I want to shoot myself in the face. I thought "noooo come on Baltar get rid of her now!!!". Oh well. Poor Baltar, he's so pitiful but you can't help but relate to him. It's kind of scary when you think about it.

I'll post on season two later. I have to think about it.

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:
Bwhahaha this series has Doctor Julian Bashir in it; awesome!
Yeah, a lot of people who've vaguely watched DS9 (for which head writer of BSG Ron Moore wrote) have confused James Callis' Baltar with Siddig El Fadil's Julian Bashire. Alas, it's not him. Bashir WAS in Syriana, and the last Ridley Scott film about the Crusades, and the recent season of 24.

Dudes, I mentioned this program to Daniel Lanois!

On my way to the cinema, I wondered if Lanois would be there for a Q & A, but it was the second airing and I doubted it. Still, I had some ideas about what I wanted to say. Before the film aired, Lanois came in and the introduced himself and his two producers to the crowd. The woman conducting the proceedings said Mr. Lanois would answer questions after it was over. I kept thinking how I'd formulate my recommendations for the next U2 album. Would he get mad it wasn't a question about his work specifically or the documentary? Would he cut me off mid-statement, saying it wasn't the time and place? I needed to be clear but not take up too much time from other Lanois fans, so I kept thinking about what I had to say, and I was so damn nervous.

The lights came on after it was over and I hesitated, as I was too terrified to ask first. After the first person, I quickly raised my hand. "You, in the back. Blue shirt," Daniel Lanois yelled.

I knew there were a lot of people there who were fans of his, so I thought I'd ask him first if I could make some recommendations about the upcoming U2 album.
He said, "The new U2 album?" "Yes" (some people giggled) "Yeah," he replied calmly.
I couldn't believe it. It was happening. My mind was cluttered, as I stumblingly said something like:

"You're probably familiar with concerns that U2's most recent work has tended to be simpler, less subtle, and more obvious lyrically.... When I listen to a song like "Love and Peace or Else", I think that Bono has missed the point.
(Here's why I think that
http://forum.atu2.com/forum.src?Act...25&SubjStart=26
"Because you guys write political songs, and ...God I feel so nervous," I muttered. "I wanted to suggest Battlestar Galactica as a kind of muse because it's the most politically-insightful show in the history of American pop culture. It's all about the dehumanization and homogenization of the other -- whoever that may be -- and it's about war and terrorism.... and faith. There are no good guys and bad guys, and the conflict comes out of differing interests and perspectives. And I just wanted to suggest that to the band as a kind of muse..."

The whole time, he was a gentleman. Neither he nor his producers smirked or looked annoyed (from what I could see, way up)
He asked, "Well, what did you think about the choir piece?"
I nervously slightly lied and said, "It was pretty good," even though I barely had an opinion, which is not to say it isn't good, but it was hard to tell.
I emphasized, "I mean, I loved Achtung Baby!....But when I hear a song like 'Love and Peace or Else' saying both sides just have to lay down their arms...That's just not the problem." (If I were thinking clearly, I would have said, laying down arms helps the Israelis continue the occupation, but not the Palestinians who only began resisting violently after being ethnically cleansed from their homes and land, and occupied after 1948. I would have also said that "Bullet the Blue Sky" was great for bringing up American mistreatment of Nicaragua, as was "Mothers of the Disappeared" great for discussing the actions of US-supported Latin American dictators who killed leftist activists, and "Silver and Gold" for discussing South African apartheid. I would have also expressed thanks for "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and especially "Please" for illuminating the ego-centric mentality of many terrorists. Yet, I would have said that's only half the problem in this war on terror. State actions of oppression and war are equally morally ambiguous as terrorism.)

He then said something; I can't remember what because I was so nervous, but then said, "Well, I'll pass on the message to them."
"Thank you!" I said.

I already posted a link to the feedback page to nicely ask the USA network to renew The 4400:
http://www.usanetwork.com/feedback/

However, written mail supposedly has far more weight, as the administration on the official site says "Writing an actual letter to the network is your best bet. One snail mail is worth 100 emails." So, here's the postal address:

USA Network
30 Rockefeller Plaza
21st Floor
New York, NY 10112

Or here's a link to a printable blank letter and envelope with the address filled out:
http://www.renewmyshow.com/2007/09/what-can-we-do-to-bring-the-4400-back/

I just want to say thanks to this site for allowing to make statements about terrorism in my first post, when atu2.com has a bunch of conservative moderators who, all of a sudden, decided my new BSG thread was off-topic in the "Real World" forum on the grounds they didn't like discussion of terrorism because it "pisses people and the admin off".

Muldfeld said:
I just want to say thanks to this site for allowing to make statements about terrorism in my first post, when atu2.com has a bunch of conservative moderators who, all of a sudden, decided my new BSG thread was off-topic in the "Real World" forum on the grounds they didn't like discussion of terrorism because it "pisses people and the admin off".
Wow. They just banned me for this. Bastards. Hope the admin all fails miserably.

Muldfeld said:

Wow. They just banned me for this. Bastards. Hope the admin all fails miserably.

@u2 sucks ass.......

I mean, what can can you say about a forum where they consider "ass" a censor-worthy word...........

toscano said:

@u2 sucks ass.......

I mean, what can can you say about a forum where they consider "ass" a censor-worthy word...........
Thanks, bub.

Not just "ass" but "tit" and "cock", so if I was talking about the singer of Pulp, Jarvis Cocker constituting his own album, that was censored. That was minor, though. The abuse from massively pro-U2 fans and admins was the real problem.

Mudfeld, have a look at this article, published in The Guardian (UK) a few months back: guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2112186,00.html

The miniseries that started off the new Batttlestar Galatica is reairing in Canada this Sunday at 9pm on Space. Here's the first few minutes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inCZ7seJjmc

BrianL said:
Mudfeld, have a look at this article, published in The Guardian (UK) a few months back: guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2112186,00.html

Brilliant. Thanks! Although I think "Heroes" is the same old comic book notion of good versus evil with a rather childish sense of causality, I think "Lost" has some interesting aspects and is thoroughly enjoyable. Of course, the whole reason you posted that link and my favorite part was this:

"It's not every day that you hear a justification for suicide bombing on a American TV drama - and certainly not one as vigorous and heartfelt as this "I've sent men on suicide missions in two wars now, and let me tell yo something - it don't make a goddamn difference whether they're riding in a Vipe or walking out on to a parade ground. In the end, they're just as dead. So take you piety and your moralising and your high-minded principles and stick them som place safe ... I've got a war to fight.

The fact that the character talking is not some swivel-eyed terrorist but, in fact, a hero - or, at least, what passes for a hero in this TV show's murky, shades-of-grey universe - makes his speech more surprising still. In a further do-not-adjust-your-set moment, the show in question is Battlestar Galactica. Yes, that Battlestar Galactica.

Well, nearly. The reimagined BSG, as it is now known, is light-years away from its cheesy late-1970s incarnation starring Dirk Benedict, later of The A-Team, and Bonanza's Lorne Greene. The premise is the same - the last vestiges of humanity are being pursued by the sentient monotheistic robots that they created as labour-saving devices - but instead of cheese, there's grime, the harsh realities of living hand-to-mouth in space, and some of the sharpest, smartest writing on television. Gone is the comforting binary of "humanity good, robots bad", and in its place is a universe in which the good guys practise torture and recruit suicide bombers, while the bad guys are devoutly religious, embarking upon a genocidal war in the belief that they are cleansing the universe of corruption.

This is science fiction for the 21st century. What's more, it's sci-fi about the 21st century. Fans of the genre have long known that quality sci-fi and its sister genre fantasy hold up a mirror to the times in which they were created, but never before have the TV shows involved seemed so resonant or indeed so influential. Science fiction has never been more now, fantasy never more real."

Last edited:
Canada's Space and Sci Fi are airing the TV movie "Razor" at 9pm Eastern this Saturday Nov 24th, 2007. It's a chance to see what the show's like in a stand alone, and see if you'd be interested to rent or buy the rest of the series. Check it out, my babies! The Razor DVD will be on sale December 4th, 2007. Please buy it if you're a fan and want to see more because it's a clear market signal to the people that funded it in the first place!

I remember my dad always talking about how Star Trek always had a really good social commentary, and was pretty progressive and all that. I wonder what it is about shows like this. If you can generalize from two shows...but I mean, it's just interesting.

AttnKleinkind said:
I remember my dad always talking about how Star Trek always had a really good social commentary, and was pretty progressive and all that. I wonder what it is about shows like this. If you can generalize from two shows...but I mean, it's just interesting.

It's actually much more insightful than that. It's more akin to films like "Letters from Iwo Jima", "Babel" or "Syriana" in trying to portray humanity realistically. Star Trek (except the amazing Deep Space Nine) was generally about ugly qualities in humanity projected onto alien races. Rarely was the crew itself or our heroes involved in anything flawed or nefarious. The heroes displayed mostly good traits, but upheld as perfectly good to attain. Most fiction is like this in having the heroes ideals. From such lessons about the ideal people then infer, in time of war, that they are heroes and that they are capable of perfection, when history shows how are greatest leaders are capable of terrible cruelty and lack of judgment.

This show is so much better in that it shows how our heroes can do terrible dehumanizing things and how the enemy can also be kind.

I hope you'll check the TV movie "Razor" out this Saturday Nov 24th just to get a sense of it. Your dad sounds pretty cool, though.

Muldfeld said:
Canada's Space and Sci Fi are airing the TV movie "Razor" at 9pm Eastern this Saturday Nov 24th, 2007. It's a chance to see what the show's like in a stand alone, and see if you'd be interested to rent or buy the rest of the series. Check it out, my babies! The Razor DVD will be on sale December 4th, 2007. Please buy it if you're a fan and want to see more because it's a clear market signal to the people that funded it in the first place!

It will be airing on Sci Fi channel in California too. 9pm and 1am

I will be sure to dvr it. (tivo).

SAT 11/24

Razor
9:00pm
Lee Adama embarks on his first mission as commander of the Battlestar Pegasus.
SCIFIP 69

1:00am
SUN 11/25

Razor
Lee Adama embarks on his first mission as commander of the Battlestar Pegasus.
SCIFIP 69

The incredibly politically-relevant "Occupation"/"Precipice" will be airing this Sunday Jan 6th on Space at 10pm Eastern. Best episode of the season and rivalling only a handful of episodes in the series.

10/10

The parallels are there with Vichy France, US occupation in Iraq, Israeli treatment of Palestinians and Lebanese, the Bush administration, but it's something that's greater than those parallels in speaking to human history and certain themes that repeat. An artistic and humanitarian feat. It easily should have won the Emmy Award for Outstanding Writing for a Dramatic Series for which it was nominated. Easily!

Then again, the Emmys thought "Heroes" has good actors...

The show has started up again, Season 3 is for sale and it's theme running through most of the season is the politics of collaboration in an occupied regime and the dispensation of justice and the morality of this issue in the aftermath of occupation. This theme is wonderfully depicted and resonates with historic themes of Vichy France and many other instances and present day issues of Israeli occupation and the US occupation of Iraq. I urge people to check this show out!

Newsweek finds Battlestar Galactica to be the piece of art most evocative of the issues of the Bush years.

Art and Culture in the Bush Era | Newsweek Entertainment | Newsweek.com

This is old news now, but since the thread is here....

Political insight to the max:

4/29truth.com � Blog Archive � John McCain is a Cylon

Crisis averted......
Good job America.

Both are great pieces.

BSG returns in a couple of weeks. SO SAY WE ALL! w00t!!!

Best. Show. On. Television. Anyone watching the webisodes?

I will go and watch the webisodes

I really don't like watching programs on a small computer screen

I have a mac book pro and the images are great, the built in speakers are just average though.

I hope this season is up to par.

Also, I high hopes for the spin off, Capricorn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom