The I Voted Early Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sent mine in on Tuesday. :) Was going to do it last week, but decided to do a little more research into a couple state and local issues before filling it out.

Hey, anyone who's voted early or thinking about it worried that all of these early votes will get lost or forgotten? I'd be lying if I said it hasn't crossed my mind.

Yeah I have thought about it, but I live in Ohio so I figure the machines might be an even worse bet.

I just heard a lady call in on Air America and ( not sure where she was) but she said that she was at the post office mailing stuff and the clerk at the desk started talking about the election with this woman and he asked her if she had voted early or not and then she said yes she did, she mailed her ballot in and then he said " oh , you shouldn't have done that. Obama is not really going to Hawaii to see his Grandmother, he is going to stay out of sight so he can rig the election"
OMG, the ignorance. And this person was working for the government at the Post Office.
She called the authorities on him...(not sure which ones.. the local postal psych ward I hope)
When will the hatred cease? There must be some underground dog whistle these loons hear that makes them come out of the woodwork.
They can't believe the rest of America is voting for the other guy. Get over it people.
If you aren't part of the future... then GET OUT OF THE WAY!
GO OBAMA! Vote hope not hate!!!:wave:

My roommate is losing his joy with his first time as a voter. Every day another local politician or other kind of person up for vote he doesn't know anything about (since he just moved here in August) is sending some promotional letter telling him why s/he is the person most suited to be State Auditor/Attorney/Secretary of State or whatever else is up.

I've also discovered very different campaigning here on campus. From the student Republicans the only thing you would see would be on the days of the debates their invitations to a debate party written down every few feet on the boardwalks. Nothing else.
Obama supporters were out every day on campus as well as in town to register new voters or simply displaying their support for Obama. Since the early vote began they are outside at the Grizzly statue which is right at the end of the campus oval where eventually every person will go by and asking them if they already cast their votes. They tell you how to vote early, where to go and I think they even provide you rights (and if you are voting Republican they do just the same for you). You see Obama supporters everywhere. Nowhere do you see McCain supporters, except for some signs in the windows or on their room dors.

I don't know if the Republicans here think they just don't need to put much effort into it since the rest of Montana will be solidly red (which according to some polls and news reports even isn't the case anymore, at least not as solidly as that you could just sit back). if they have given up against the overwhelming Obama support or if they have any other reason for not doing much here.
On the other hand, from what I've read this just seems to represent the different approaches of the two campaigns nationwide.

OMG, the ignorance. And this person was working for the government at the Post Office.
She called the authorities on him...(not sure which ones.. the local postal psych ward I hope)
Without more context this sounds positively Stalinist.

It also brings up a reasonable apprehension of bias - the Post Office doesn't want people like that working as clerks and accepting ballots for mailing, obviously. It's kind of outrageous in that context.

Hey those are real people doing those jobs, you bigoted elitist.

i voted today, though it was in person. the lines were so long, i loved it. glad to see so many people in my area are going out to vote, especially since it was pouring today.

oh, and i heard the oddest thing while at the station. they said no campaign or party hats, shirts, etc. but they also said no tattoos of any kind. :huh: is this some law i wasn't aware of (i mean wtf does a butterfly tattoo have to do with anything?) or was it just some stick up the old guy who said it's butt?

i voted today, though it was in person. the lines were so long, i loved it. glad to see so many people in my area are going out to vote, especially since it was pouring today.

oh, and i heard the oddest thing while at the station. they said no campaign or party hats, shirts, etc. but they also said no tattoos of any kind. :huh: is this some law i wasn't aware of (i mean wtf does a butterfly tattoo have to do with anything?) or was it just some stick up the old guy who said it's butt?
That has GOT to be BS, and it pisses me off how much misinformation (intentional or not) is out there.

The thing is, the people who workt he polls, at least in MA, aren't professionals. You can answer a craigslist ad and make $100 bucks or something. You have to go to a training for a few hours, and then be there on election day.

WTF

The thing is, the people who workt he polls, at least in MA, aren't professionals. You can answer a craigslist ad and make $100 bucks or something. You have to go to a training for a few hours, and then be there on election day.

WTF

Well... think about it. Just how much call is there for professional poll workers?

You don't have your Sarah Palin tatt?
i'm not in possession of a tramp stamp, so...no.

That has GOT to be BS, and it pisses me off how much misinformation (intentional or not) is out there.

WTF
i thought so too. it was annoying because he was this old guy and would not shut up. he'd keep telling people to move so more could stand inside (this made sense) then he kept rambling about how only a certain number of people could cross this line at one moment...i was like dude, you're just a poll worker, you're taking this job way too seriously. :lol:

No tattoos in general, or just political tattoos?

If it's tattoos in general, that's illegal & I'd report it.

I didn't officially vote, but I bought my coffee in an Obama cup at 7-11 this morning, and apparently they're counting the number of McCain v Obama cups they sell based on the bar codes.:lol:

Tattoos? :huh:

I know any form of political clothing/buttons/stickers is banned at the polls in many states, including Virginia (officials want to avoid any appearance of campaigning in the polls), but tattoos? That's ridiculous. :scratch:

:lmao: after I mailed the FWAB yesterday, as I predicted, my absentee ballot came today.

So... I have to wake up early enough tomorrow to go to a post office.

My office is closed on election day. :)

even though everyone in the office has already voted.

Wow, it's incredible hearing what you guys go through to vote. Here, I've never heard of registration hassles or people being turned away (although in our election earlier this month they changed the rules about what kinds of ID were acceptable. It was well publicized, though, so people had plenty of opportunity to make sure they brought the correct ID), and any time I've gone to vote, no matter which level of government was holding elections, I've never spent more than 5 or 10 minutes at a polling station. I can't even imagine standing in line for hours. Do they make exceptions for the elderly or the infirm? What do they do?

For what it's worth, it's not like that everywhere. The only time I've ever stood in line at all was during the recall of our governor and if I remember correctly it's because that was a special election.

My mom's mail in ballot hasn't come, they've told her they never received the request, and she's not sure she's up to going. If there is a line, she probably won't get to vote.

Back
Top Bottom