The "Holy Shite - McCain Won Thread!"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then we all hope like hell he stays alive.

derp.gif

Three or four months ago, this would have been at least tolerable. But now that McCain has showed himself to be batshit insane and completely sold out to the GOP, this would really be awful for everyone.

It means that all of us in DC have about 6 months to live. The world will "test" John McCain just as surely as they'll test Barack Obama. The old man's a fool to think that the world's afraid of him simply because he got his plane shot down and survived being a POW.

DC = kablooey!

Thread=Epic Fail.:down:

If you're talking about the general level of responses, then yes.

The premise of this thread isn't an excuse to become assholes. Lets at least try and keep it on the level and answer the question without resorting to "batshit insane" comments and claims that we're all going to die, eh?

Last edited:
I'm not really sure what kind of responses would be appropriate for this thread.

Any speculation or predictions probably have already been pondered in other election threads.

But I'll add this: if McCain wins, I think we can all safely say that there will be a lot of disappointment, a lot of finger-pointing and a lot of heated talk. Oh, and some exaggerations of how anyone who voted for McCain must be racist or something.

But what will happen in terms of McCain being president? I don't know. Who can say what would happen if anyone becomes president? We all know that the things they talked about in the campaigns doesn't necessarily always happen.

And that's not meant to be a knock on the thread. Me, I'm hoping for the best (i.e., "my guy" wins) and preparing for the worst, just like anyone is doing on either side.

The world will "test" John McCain just as surely as they'll test Barack Obama. The old man's a fool to think that the world's afraid of him simply because he got his plane shot down and survived being a POW.

"The Test" referred exclusively to Joe Biden's young inexperienced running mate. That was Biden's guarantee.

Anyway, McCain is the one with the itchy trigger finger, right ??? I thought that was common knowledge by now.

It's too bad that McCain's experiences as a POW are discounted, particularly by some of the people who don't support him. I think it gives McCain a unique perspective on the real costs of war. And what wars are worth waging.

If you're talking about the general level of responses, then yes.

The premise of this thread isn't an excuse to become assholes. Lets at least try and keep it on the level and answer the question without resorting to "batshit insane" comments and claims that we're all going to die, eh?

Well, my comment was supposed to be funny. I guess not for some.

Anyway, to speculate on what we would do if McCain won is silly, IMO. No one here is giving a positive response. With a 99% Democrat poster rate, what do you expect in a thread like this?
I'm not trying to be an "asshole"; and frankly, I don't appreciate the remark.
I've never made the "batshit insane" remark or claimed anyone is going to die.
Why I'm being singled out here is beyond me.

You are not being singled out. I just used your post as a springboard - my comments were aimed at the thread in general and not specifically at you. Which is why the batshit insane and dying comments don't apply to you. I do apologize if you took it that way. And to everyone else if I came across a little snippy. In my defense, I had just gotten out of bed because the neighbors' dog was yapping incessantly. :crazy:

I do hope that this thread doesn't go down the route of melodramatic pronouncements of our impending doom. Believe me, the idea of McCain winning doesn't exactly thrill me either, but let's try and keep a level head, y'know?

"The Test" referred exclusively to Joe Biden's young inexperienced running mate. That was Biden's guarantee.

Anyway, McCain is the one with the itchy trigger finger, right ??? I thought that was common knowledge by now.

It's too bad that McCain's experiences as a POW are discounted, particularly by some of the people who don't support him. I think it gives McCain a unique perspective on the real costs of war. And what wars are worth waging.

Have you heard the full quote? And the context? Or only McCain & Palin's protrayals of it? The idea was that while many of Obama's followers have created a god-like image of him with equal expectations, the fact is that he's only a guy----something that will be made evident in the inevitable tough times that lie ahead. Biden was telling Obama's ardent supporters not to feel let down when the man fails to act with perfection and instead acts as a man. ANYone who becomes the next President is going to be tested by the world, simply because of the precarious footing that Bush will leave him and the country with. Frankly, it's stupid to think that there's no one out there dreaming of testing America early in the next presidency. If I were a terrorist, I'd strike hard on January 20/21st--right before a real transition has become complete. Weaken America's next four years right off the bat. It's really not that hard to think of that.

McCain's out there making ridiculous claims as if the world is scared of him. "They know I've been tested." How? What test has he had? The only one that's even slightly relevant is his POW experience, and that really has no bearing whatsoever on what he'd do as President of the United States. The man has a knack for unsubstantiated claims. "I know how to end this war." "I know how to catch Osama bin Laden." "I know how to get us out of this economic crisis." Bull-fucking-shit. Do it then.

"They know I've been tested"-----someone with the desire is still going to try and blow the shit out of the United States. What terrorist gives a crap about McCain's POW experience?

As for dissing that experience..... I honestly haven't seen much of that here. What I have seen is people calling out the fact that his experience is not the be-all, end-all of Presidential qualifications. Most of us who've called that out have also at some point said that we have a great deal of respect and gratitude for what he did.

You're right---his experience should give him a unique insight into the real costs of war. But he hasn't made that apparent. Listen to the way he talks about Iraq: "Never again will the United States hang their heads in defeat." He's referencing Vietnam. The guy thinks that we should've stayed in Vietnam until we "won." It's understandable that he feels that way---look at what he gave during that war, while the US "gave up." But are his feelings about it really "right?" No way. Seems to me that his POW experience has given him exactly the wrong insight into war.

Back
Top Bottom