The Great Nanny State Debate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the iron horse

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Do you agree with the increasing government intrusion into our lives and the increasing restrictions being mandated to protect us from ourselves?

*iron sliding a cold glass of raw whole milk and a pack of Twinkies to all board members :wave:

Do you agree with the increasing government intrusion into our lives and the increasing restrictions being mandated to protect us from ourselves?

Absolutely not.

Women should be allowed to make health care decisions without government laws impacting their reproductive health. It is indeed an outrage that a legislator has more say in my healthcare decisions that I do. Thank God our new president feels that the government should have less say in my doctor's office.

It is no accident that the sinister image of the mad anarchist is so accepted. The State, the press and all the assorted authoritarian types, use every means at their disposal to present anarchy as an unthinkable state of carnage and chaos. We can expect little else from power-mongers who would have no power to monger if we had our way. They have to believe that authority and obedience are essential in order to justify their own crimes to themselves. The TV, press and films all preach obedience, and when anarchy is mentioned at all, it is presented as mindless destruction.

The alleged necessity of authority is so firmly planted in the average mind that anarchy, which means simply 'no government' is almost unthinkable to most people.

- extract from document produced by a Welsh anarchist collective, circa 1980.

Absolutely not.

Women should be allowed to make health care decisions without government laws impacting their reproductive health. It is indeed an outrage that a legislator has more say in my healthcare decisions that I do. Thank God our new president feels that the government should have less say in my doctor's office.

I take it your view is that abortions should only be performed by private physicians? I take it you are consistent on this and opposed to any taxpayer funding of abortions, except for perhaps cases of severe economic hardship?

Absolutely not.

Who should fund your reproductive choices?

One more time: Quote me.

I'm engaging iron horse in his thread. If he's here to engage, and not just spamming, he'll respond.

1,268 posts in four years seems a reasonable number and enough to avoid accusations of spammery.

*iron sliding a cold glass of raw whole milk and a pack of Twinkies to all board members :wave:

it depends on the particular intrusion or restriction. for instance, i would not agree with an fda agent confiscating your cow.

Which intrusions are you talking about?

The intrusions in our private lives telling us two consenting adults can't have the same rights you and your wife have because of genitalia?

The intrusions in our lives saying our kids need to learn about god in school?

Exactly which intrusions?

No thanks, my body is a temple...:wink:

I'll pass on the milk, but I'll have a Twinkie, thanks. You wouldn't happen to have some of those Hostess fruit pies wouldja? :drool:

Do you have low fat milk and no sugar added ice cream? I need to watch my sugar levels. :wave:

Hi Iron Horse,

What restrictions are you wanting to discuss? When, I first saw your post. I thought perhaps you were wanting to discussing the bail-out bill that congress is trying to pass. But, it turned into a thread about reproductive health and abortions.

Hi Iron Horse,

What restrictions are you wanting to discuss? When, I first saw your post. I thought perhaps you were wanting to discussing the bail-out bill that congress is trying to pass. But, it turned into a thread about reproductive health and abortions.

Didn't he already answer Martha?

I'm here
and I do read the threads.

A Libertarian

Greener Grass...

Its important in life to reach out, to strive for greater achievements, to go for that greener grass that is on the other side of the fence...to risk...to stretch the limits of our humble existences...

But one must also be careful

download

Sometimes, you can reach too far !

download

But when you find yourself over-extended and you're stuck in a situation that you can't get out of,
there is one thing you should always remember.......

Your government......Is there to help you!!!!

download

*EDIT - sorry, don't know how to get the pics in here properly lol.

I hate the health and safety shit that goes on in the UK. I hate that people are ALLOWED to sue others for petty shit.

If you get run over, then yeah, you can probably sue. If you slip on a wet floor for being a dosey tit then no, you cant sue, and you should be ashamed of yourself for even considering it.

I see kids amusements being done away with because, after neigh on 100 years, theyre suddenly unsafe. :| Seriously, whoever you are who makes up these rules, go suck shit. You arnt making anyone any safer. Just angrier.

(one more time)

Greener Grass...

Its important in life to reach out, to strive for greater achievements, to go for that greener grass that is on the other side of the fence...to risk...to stretch the limits of our humble existences...

But one must also be careful

cow1.jpg

Sometimes, you can reach too far !

cow2.jpg

But when you find yourself over-extended and you're stuck in a situation that you can't get out of,
there is one thing you should always remember.......

Your government......Is there to help you!!!!

cow3.jpg

I hate that people are ALLOWED to sue others for petty shit.

If you get run over, then yeah, you can probably sue. If you slip on a wet floor for being a dosey tit then no, you cant sue, and you should be ashamed of yourself for even considering it.

I see kids amusements being done away with because, after neigh on 100 years, theyre suddenly unsafe. :| Seriously, whoever you are who makes up these rules, go suck shit. You arnt making anyone any safer. Just angrier.

What does this have to do with a "nanny state"?

Isn't this a litigation/lawyer issue?

I take it as people telling me what Im sposed to be worried about, and making changes Im supposed to need.

We get the nanny state term thrown around a lot in the UK, its pretty ambiguous as to the definate meaning, that and the fact Iron Horse didnt elaborate mean Im posting my interpretation.

i guess it goes all ways.

on one hand, we have people who are sick of the government telling us that cigarette smoke causes cancer and that our SUVs pollute the planet.

and yet, others believe that their own views on marriage equality and a woman's uterus must be enforced by the government.

i tend to think that all this "get the government off our backs" stuff is really a way for people to say that you're not the boss of me.

cartman.jpg

Oh another good one, we cant have nativity plays cos the Muslims will be "offended".

Yeah ok. :|

There's a fine line. I've no problem with nativity plays, so long as other religions (and non religious beliefs) are represented in schools too.

Are you one of these "that's political correctness GONE MAD!" type of people that use such arguments to excuse, say, using the N word?

This 'nanny state' argument makes no sense to me. Which end of the political spectrum are you coming from? A nanny state where guns and exploitative capitalism are fine and don't warrant control, but abortion and equality opportunities do? :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom