The GOP News Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where are you guys getting this "blame the Republicans" rant for the bad water in Flint?

The entire city council are Democrats.

It was a Democratic mayor of the city who brushed off complaints about the water from the residents.

Democrats are running the show there. They have been for years.

Look it up. It's true.

Because it's the Republican governor of Michigan's fault.

He circumvented local government by appointing unchecked "emergency managers" to take control of financial decisions of financially struggling cities. At the state’s direction, that emergency manager made the decision to switch from Detroit’s water system to contaminated Flint River water in theory to save $5m.

Snyder’s administration knew about the public health concerns yet it did nothing.

The Democrats you mention were powerless to do anything without the approval of these emergency managers.

What this shows us is that government is not a business, nor should it be run like one. And now every child in Flint has lead poisoning.

I guess it would all start with the Michigan State Department of Environmental Quality. What was their correspondence to the EPA and the Governor?

(My Step-Dad is retired from Pennsylvania DEQ, so I know they deal in matters so trivial you'd be shocked if they would not be on top of lead levels in a major city in the State)

I'm not terribly invested in the story and not gonna assign blame. If anybody wants to do the detective work see what Michigan DEQ knew and when did they know it.

I guess it would all start with the Michigan State Department of Environmental Quality. What was their correspondence to the EPA and the Governor?

Well that's a place to start, one is lead by a Republican Governor and the other Republicans are constantly bragging about defunding and slowly tearing apart from the inside.

So yeah, a pretty good place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well that's a place to start, one is lead by a Republican Governor and the other Republicans are constantly bragging about defunding and slowly tearing apart from the inside.

So yeah, a pretty good place to start.

The Governor doesn't wake up with water quality briefings everyday. On the other hand show me he ignored warnings from DEQ and declined funding to the department to fix it then you have a point.

The Governor doesn't wake up with water quality briefings everyday. On the other hand show me he ignored warnings from DEQ and declined funding to the department to fix it then you have a point.

But he is in charge of the department, he was in charge of the change in water source, and there is evidence that he knew and swept it under the rug...

But who moved the water source to begin with and why? Yes the Mayor tried to keep the public from a panic after complaints and they lost reelection, but the Governor was actively sweeping after knowing full well the water was contaminated. Where is his punishment?

I think calling this a Republican problem might be narrowed vision, to call this a Democrat issue is propaganda driven, this goes back to something Irvine said, you don't run a government like a business.

Ultimately this came down to running the government in the wrong way and ignoring the importance of the EPA and the DEQ.

Last edited:
He did not. He was given no authority over the matter because the state government stripped the city government of all of its power. What he is guilty of is naively following the lead of those in the state government and listening to them over the complaints of residents. Trusting Republican leaders was stupid of him, you won't get an argument from me there. Big mistake, and a costly one.

But he is not responsible for what happened. The GOP is entirely to blame. For you to suggest otherwise is simply a lack of understanding of what happened.

He did not. He was given no authority over the matter because the state government stripped the city government of all of its power.

thank you for pointing this out again. it bears repeating as much as possible. we should also point out that Michigan voters killed this law in a November 2012 referendum, but a month later, Snyder got the legislature to enact a law very similar to the one that had been rejected, and attached it to a spending bill so it couldn't be undone by another referendum.

this enabled him to lower taxes for rich people by poisoning poor people.

let's also remember that Snyder was elected in the Tea Party wave in 2010. he talked about "outcomes" and "deliverables" and called residents "customers." anyone who thinks that business and government are the same thing are simple-minded fools.

Last edited:
not bothering to read this crap

just enough to know that the children that have brain damage from this will take pleasure in knowing that many of you have fully grasped their suffering to further your own personal political bias, great stuff :up::up::up:

Right, because as humans we cannot discuss the politics behind the issue and still feel for the victims.

This is a GOP thread, not one about Flint.

not bothering to read this crap

just enough to know that the children that have brain damage from this will take pleasure in knowing that many of you have fully grasped their suffering to further your own personal political bias, great stuff :up::up::up:

please.

it's critical that we know WHY this happened so that it doesn't happen again. voting sometimes has life-and-death consequences. i'm sure the parents of these children would want us all to learn from the tragedy that has befallen them due to the extremism of Tea Party politics.

please.

it's critical that we know WHY this happened so that it doesn't happen again. voting sometimes has life-and-death consequences. i'm sure the parents of these children would want us all to learn from the tragedy that has befallen them due to the extremism of Tea Party politics.

Please tell me you wrote that last sentence in jest.

I'm not sick and tired, I'm outraged and devastated. Imagine if these were the kids you taught and they now all have lead poisoning because of the decision made by the governor to cut costs. These people were powerless to begin with, and then poisoned by the government that's supposed ton protect them. In the richest country on earth. It's a calamity.

What does the Tea Party have to do with what happened in Flint?

Flint Water Scandal -- Democrats Try to Pin Blame on Republicans

They passed the emergency manager law twice and put saving money over the concerns of citizens. The council had no power. Also, they're blaming the Democratic government of Flint for the economic crisis in the city and not the fact that GM fucking closed almost all the factories in the 80s at the same time they were making record profits. GM destroyed that city. Take away the main employer in any city and the city is going to suffer.

They passed the emergency manager law twice and put saving money over the concerns of citizens. The council had no power. Also, they're blaming the Democratic government of Flint for the economic crisis in the city and not the fact that GM fucking closed almost all the factories in the 80s at the same time they were making record profits. GM destroyed that city. Take away the main employer in any city and the city is going to suffer.

I assume you did not read the link posted.

Okay, the city council and mayor had no power. The blame is on the evil capitalist. All the cities controlled by Democrats are the shining gems of America at its best.

I assume you did not read the link posted.

Okay, the city council and mayor had no power. The blame is on the evil capitalist. All the cities controlled by Democrats are the shining gems of America at its best.

San Francisco and Portland are having problems because too many people want to move to them. That article simply repeated the myth that Democrats are the reason why cities suck. But many of the cities that ended up having severe economic problems were Rust Belt cities where manufacturing left. They were victims of neoliberalism and globalization.

Back
Top Bottom