The God Questions - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #181
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
Well actually you can prove that dragons and leprechauns don't exist. These kind of examples that get thrown out are just flippant. They're mythical creatures (emphasis on creatures), they don't exist, they never existed in any literal sense. If they did exist they would exist as flesh and blood and it's relatively easy to take a look around and see that, nope, they aren't there (setting aside the difficulties of keeping track of species with very few members).

God is a very different proposition.
You can't prove that they never existed. There are millions of creatures that have existed on Earth that we haven't yet, or possibly never will, find evidence for. The example stands. I can change it to Thor if it makes you feel better.

"They're mythical, they don't exist, they never existed in any literal sense."

I don't know how this is relevant. Every other god except yours would fall into this category too, no?
__________________

Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #182
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Kieran McConville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Kony Island Baby
Posts: 10,244
Local Time: 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
You can't prove that they never existed. There are millions of creatures that have existed on Earth that we haven't yet, or possibly never will, find evidence for. The example stands. I can change it to Thor if it makes you feel better.
It doesn't make me feel better, actually.

yeah ok, but let's say for the sake of argument that dragons would be a little harder to miss than some of this earth's myriad weird species. Except as an analogue for dinosaurs, we can be... fairly sure they don't exist. And if we can't we can keep looking.


Quote:
"They're mythical, they don't exist, they never existed in any literal sense."

I don't know how this is relevant. Every other god except yours would fall into this category too, no?
Blah

Blah

Blah.
__________________

Kieran McConville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #183
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville

It doesn't make me feel better, actually.

yeah ok, but let's say for the sake of argument that dragons would be a little harder to miss than some of this earth's myriad weird species. Except as an analogue for dinosaurs, we can be... fairly sure they don't exist. And if we can't we can keep looking.
Most dead animals don't fossilize. There are countless animals that once lived that we'll never know about. I do like that we're suddenly so interested in solid proof of existence though. But now we're getting way off topic

Quote:

Blah

Blah

Blah.
Hmmmm. Interesting point
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #184
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 67,878
Local Time: 07:39 AM
Jive must have been forced to go to the shittiest church ever as a kid.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #185
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 11:39 AM
No, sir. Family of heathens
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #186
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,783
Local Time: 11:39 AM
I can't prove it doesn't exist doesn't mean that it des exist, when I also can't prove it does exist, so why is this even relevant anyway?
IWasBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #187
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored
I can't prove it doesn't exist doesn't mean that it des exist, when I also can't prove it does exist, so why is this even relevant anyway?
God and Jesus and Dragons and such
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #188
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,945
Local Time: 03:39 PM
Santa may exist. You can't prove he doesn't.

Asking someone to prove something doesn't exist is not a real logical argument to prove something does exist.
BEAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #189
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,783
Local Time: 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

God and Jesus and Dragons and such
Jesus was a dragon, duh.
IWasBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #190
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,728
Local Time: 10:39 AM
These back and forth conversations here are a very good example of why I have long described myself as an agnostic.

I have no idea what is out there. Is it possible that there is a higher power directing everything, whether actively or passively? Sure. Do I have proof of it? No. Do I think anyone has proven it one way or another? No. Do I think it's possible to prove? Honestly, no.

And I am happy living with this view. Some people will say that it's akin to fence-sitting, but to me it's just an expression of very honest thought and feeling. I don't know and it doesn't bother me. I don't believe that knowing, one way or another, impacts how we should live our short lives on this planet - honestly, honourably and hopefully happily.
anitram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #191
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 67,878
Local Time: 07:39 AM
I can't imagine anyone who has been on the internet long enough to navigate beyond the google homepage could still be interested in debating whether or not God exists. "Why is sky" and "shuwh wyeyru wmcsmcn72763" are equally viable questions to discuss, and nowhere near as divisive.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #192
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,783
Local Time: 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
"shuwh wyeyru wmcsmcn72763" .

I don't know, I could see that causing some really heated debates on Facebook. The kind that destroys friendships.
IWasBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #193
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 67,878
Local Time: 07:39 AM
The nation is crumbling because of that asshole wmcsmcn72763 and his socialist shuwh politics!!

SHARE THIS IF YOU AGREE
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #194
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,728
Local Time: 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I can't imagine anyone who has been on the internet long enough to navigate beyond the google homepage could still be interested in debating whether or not God exists. "Why is sky" and "shuwh wyeyru wmcsmcn72763" are equally viable questions to discuss, and nowhere near as divisive.
I never used to debate this topic (pointless and mostly uninteresting) but I did spend a lot of my time when I was younger, in my early 20s (seems so long ago), wondering about whether God exists, in what form, what happens to us after we die. Particularly the last one - that was the time when my grandparents started to die and so I think it made the question more real than it had previously been.

Now, I never wonder those things anymore. I have found a great peace in not wondering and just living my life as best as I possibly can. I found that when I mentally divorced religion from morality and salvation from good citizenry, it was wonderfully liberating.
anitram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #195
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,783
Local Time: 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
The nation is crumbling because of that asshole wmcsmcn72763 and his socialist shuwh politics!!

SHARE THIS IF YOU AGREE
If wmcsmcn72763 can get a million likes by next week, he will be able to prove that Jesus was a dragon!
IWasBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #196
Refugee
 
Cactus Annie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
Posts: 2,146
Local Time: 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
Dammit, I'm still on my phone and can't type that fast.

Annie needs to come back and tell me how politics, not religion, were responsible for various genocides throughout history. Stalin-era Russia is the only example of mass murder I can think of that was not entirely a result of introducing fear and/or hatred of another religion into politics.
The first world war was after the assassination of the Austrian Archduke in Sarajevo and was caused by increased conflict between kingdoms within Europe. The second world War was caused by the great depression and anger within Germany after what happened after the first War. There was some scary scenes in Greece with an extreme right-wing political party rising to power after the country's economy collapsed.

It's far too simplistic to suggest that one factor alone was the single cause of an outbreak of war.
Cactus Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #197
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 11:39 AM
Well hold on though. No one is trying to convert anyone. It was purely about whether you could make a logical argument for God
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #198
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,783
Local Time: 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Annie View Post

The first world war was after the assassination of the Austrian Archduke in Sarajevo and was caused by increased conflict between kingdoms within Europe. The second world War was caused by the great depression and anger within Germany after what happened after the first War. There was some scary scenes in Greece with an extreme right-wing political party rising to power after the country's economy collapsed.

It's far too simplistic to suggest that one factor alone was the single cause of an outbreak of war.
As it's also too simplistic to call it all politics. I didn't say religion, and only religion, was the cause of ever war.
IWasBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #199
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 09:39 AM
Undoing the damage of the University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
What does this even mean?
Exactly.
Quote:
And what is "scientism"? Is that a made up word for when one doesn't like the answers science gives?
Look it up.
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #200
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,058
Local Time: 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Undoing the damage of the University

Exactly.

Look it up.

Is this math you do as a Republican to make yourself feel better?
__________________

Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×