The FYM Bar - All Alcohol Discussion Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
04cabres.gif

Very smooth Cabernet. :drool:

I'm not a jazz gal myself, but I hear good things about Jazz Alley - that might be right up your alley. Har har har. Oh man, sushi. :drool: Do you know where you'll be staying? There are a few options for the downtown/Belltown area (close to the Market).

I'd say you'll have a hard time getting alcohol or getting into bars if you're not 21. Sorry. :(

Let me know if you have other questions. I haven't talked to you much on the site, but consider yourself with a standing option of getting together for coffee or food or something, if you're interested in meeting a somewhat familiar face. No problem if you can't or don't want to. :)

And Diemen - YAY! Definitely let me know when you'll be back in Seattle. Would be cool to try and get together!

We are still looking for cheap places to stay. Since we have a car we are relatively mobile, but it shouldn't be too far from the city either.
The Jazz Alley sounds great, but entry is $30. We might still go there, but we will also check for some bars with live Jazz music and free entry.
I hope we can at least go into the bars. The one guy is 20 (turns 21 in the first week of January) but the rest of us is older. Maybe we will at least get in and have a nice time. Here in Montana it's even a crime if you drink in the presence of minors. Hopefully there it's less harsh.

I don't know exactly how our schedule will look like in Seattle. We are thinking of going to the aquarium on Thursday and to the air and space museum probably on Friday. In between and on Saturday we are going to explore the city, visit the first Starbucks (were you the one working for Starbucks, by the way?) and do whatever else there is to do.
I would love to meet with you sometime, though I can't say when would be best fitting. But I could PM you my cell phone number and we could try and set up a time somewhat spontaneously when I know more. :)

Ooh, you know what I just thought of? There's a bar in Pioneer Square that has a sign in the window that says "minors welcome until 10", and I know they have live music - usually jazz and/or blues, I think. Can't think of the name of it off the top of my head.

I'm the Starbucks gal - I work at the head office, which is south of downtown. Shoot me a PM, and if we can figure something out then great. If not, then oh well. :)

I will try, and if nothing works out I will let you know.

The bar sounds very interesting. I guess we might just go there and check the places around there. Thank you once again. :)

So I just had a little vodka (Stoli), and am now completely stuffed up. Runny nose and everything. I figured I have a wine allergy, as I will get stuffed up when I drink more than a small glass of red wine ... or sometimes even any wine, including champagne.

So now I just had about two shots of vodka, and am blowing my nose every three minutes. Scotch doesn't seem to bring this out in me. I've heard of red wine allergies, but this is ridiculous.

Unacceptable. I AM NOT HAPPY. :mad:

So I just had a little vodka (Stoli), and am now completely stuffed up. Runny nose and everything. I figured I have a wine allergy, as I will get stuffed up when I drink more than a small glass of red wine ... or sometimes even any wine, including champagne.

So now I just had about two shots of vodka, and am blowing my nose every three minutes. Scotch doesn't seem to bring this out in me. I've heard of red wine allergies, but this is ridiculous.

Unacceptable. I AM NOT HAPPY. :mad:

Where was the wine from ?

My wife doesn't have an issue with most California Reds, but French and Italian give her the same reaction

Oh, I have no idea. It wasn't anything fancy. Sometimes I can have a little with no problem at all. Other times I take two sips of vodka, and I have sneezing fits - like last night.

It's seriously annoying.

Oh, I misunderstood, I thought you had the sneezing fits after the red wine.

Never heard of a vodka allergy, maybe it was something you were eating or where you were ? Or what you mixed it with ?

Or maybe someone around you had been near a cat ?

When I have unexplained allergies I ask the kids if they've been in someone's house who owns a cat recently, and usually they have !

Oh, I have a cat and am allergic - but I take drugs for that and can be around the cat day in and day out with no issue.

Maybe a combination of the alcohol and the claritin, or alcohol and cat dander sometimes makes my nose go goofy.

See, now a year ago at Thanksgiving, I drank a few glasses of champagne, and I was stuffed up for hours.

Tonight? A few glasses of champagne and am completely fine.

I'll shut up now.

I brought along some wine for Thanksgiving dinner here at my sister's. The first I'd never tasted before but saw a great review at Wine Library TV: Gary Vaynerchuk's daily wine video blog (highly recommended if you're into wine).

2006 Domaine Lucien Albrecht Gewurztraminer Reserve
87797l.jpg

And one I'd tasted at the winery before and really loved:

2006 Hartford Highwire Zinfandel
a_wines_highwire.jpg

Both were fantastic. The Gewurztraminer was loaded with fruit - very peachy with a good spicy, gingery finish. The Zin was a big boy...loads of dark fruit, but not too jammy, with nice solid structure and pepper to balance it all out.

Yum. :up:

chivas regal
red wine
white dessert wine
occasionally a premixed, if it's icy cold and the weather is hot.
recently, jb + coke zero.

chivas all the way though.
:drool:

Bringing this thread back from the dead.

I had the chance to indulge myself (and my family) with lots of tasty alcohol over Christmas break with the family. I had a $40 bottle of Belgian beer that was simply amazing (Scaldis Prestige - my brother in law got it from one of his clients), I tried a bottle of Caol Ila 17 year Cask Strength single malt that was just amazing - smoky & peaty but so refined, with the smell of smoke and the sea all in one. I also had the chance to compare Macallan 12 to Glenlivet 12. There is no comparison - Macallan hands down. Glenlivet tastes pretty unrefined and a bit gasolinish in comparison.

And then there was quite a bit of wine to be had:
Rosenblum 2005 Rockpile Road Zinfandel -
Lucien Albrecht 2006 Gewurztraminer Reserve (had this one at Thanksgiving, too)
Porter Creek 2005 Reserve Pinot Noir
Hartford 2005 Land's Edge Pinot Noir
2005 Zabrin Atteca Armas (Spanish Garnacha) - holy crap this was good!
1998 Merryvale Profile - My sister bought a case of this when her first daughter was born. Very tasty stuff.
2005 Chateau Doisy-Vedrines Sauternes - if you've never had Sauternes I highly recommend it - it's a white dessert wine from Bordeaux that is just amazing. Probably my favorite drink of the holidays. :)

Amazingly no one got drunk (or hungover), but there were quite a few of us who were pleasantly buzzed for much of the evening! :D

And just today I've had the chance to compare the Macallan to a brand new bottle of Lagavulin 16 (it's New Year's eve, and I deserve something special! :D). As nice as the Macallan is, the Lagavulin is on an entirely different level. Much more complex - smoky, spicy, peaty but oh so smooth and balanced. Reminds me a lot of the Caol Ila, actually (both come from the same region). Turns out I'm not afraid of peatiness. :D

Anybody else indulge in some good stuff over the holidays?

:hmm:
Well, we did open a couple of Dom Pérignon bottles to celebrate the purchase of a business, just a few days ago.
:up:
But nothing compared to you.:up:

I was drinking some La Trappe beers - the Blonde and Double, if I'm not mistaken - right before Christmas, although I'll probably save my other bottles for cooler nights. Granted, the weather was cooler on Christmas Day than I was expecting, but still not cold enough to enjoy them to their highest potential. I'll be going to a Belgian beer cafe on Sunday with some mates, looking forward to drinking some lambics.

I had some mead the other night. I had never tried it before. Rather interesting, but not something I'm willing to try again anytime soon.

Finally, I had a red wine recently that I actually liked. I can't remember what it was, but I didn't think it sucked! This is a big deal.

Region, A_W?

Worked a couple of refreshing Aussie microbrews (Baron Lager and Yarra Valley Gold) and a Birra Moretti La Rossa (first time) tonight. Good stuff.

i received a bottle of johnnie walker black label for christmas. not a big scotch guy, but i'll drink it if i must. ;) any fans here?
I do know that Hitchens drinks Johnny Black, be careful or you might end up as a drink-sodden-trotskyite-for-war.

i received a bottle of johnnie walker black label for christmas. not a big scotch guy, but i'll drink it if i must. ;) any fans here?

big fan.

I went through a bottle of Glenlivet of xmas. very very nice.

I am waiting to win some money on something (cant afford/justify it until then) so I can buy a bottle of Johnnie Blue. $Au270 atm....

^ still, id love to say ive had a bottle of blue.

id like opinions on what others think is a good cheaper scotch. I am into Grant's atm, as its generally available for around 30 bucks, and is much smoother than other cheaper bottles

Back
Top Bottom