The FYM Bar - All Alcohol Discussion Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The local BevMo had the Macallan 12 for $40. I justified it by telling myself it should last for a while. A helluva lot longer than a $40 bottle of wine or $40 in belgian beer, that's for sure. ;)

And I have to say it's quite nice, too. I'm not the best at describing taste, especially in a kind of drink I'm not familiar with, but it's quite smooth, lots of honey on the front and backside, and a nice smokiness over the whole thing. Doesn't get too hot on the finish, either. Good stuff. :up:

I'll be curious to try something like the Glenlivet 12 and see if I can appreciate the differences between it and the Macallan. If I can't, then I know to save money next time around. ;)

I haven't had Glenlivet 12, i'll give it a shot, I'm low on my Macallan and my Dalwhinnie, and my Glenfiddich 18 which was a "best man" present is more of a "break out the really good stuff" drink. Macallan has been my standby forever, and Dalwhinnie I got into about 10 years ago when i got it as a 'thank you' from a Marketing guy at a company i worked at for helping him out.

Ironically, they don't sell Macallan 12 in Scotland......they have a 10 as their low end, skip 12 and go to 18 as the next one up. 18 is about triple the price of the 12 but when I was at Costco yesterday I noticed a "kirkland" 18 year old made by the macallan folks at about 80, might be worth a try.

So many drinks, only 1 liver..........

I found a good use for Johnny Walker Black - Making home fries

I may break it out tonight at 5 Pacific Time, which is when the polls close on the east coast.

Any hour prior to that is just unseemly. ;)

But yeah, once results start coming in, that's when I might need to self-medicate.

I may break it out tonight at 5 Pacific Time, which is when the polls close on the east coast.

Any hour prior to that is just unseemly. ;)

But yeah, once results start coming in, that's when I might need to self-medicate.

They close at4pm PST in some places (FL, VA, etc)

Not at all unseemly.

It would meet with wholehearted approval in Scotland......

Just order a case of Fat Tire Ale today - New Belgium really needs to start distributing out on the East Coast. The shipping costs more than the beer. :angry:

I've broken out my little bottle of Glenlivet. It's not bad. The aftertaste is very nice, but the first sensation is almost a perfumey taste I'm not sure I like.

I do like the warm feeling it's giving my tummy, though. ;)

I liked the kind I had at my friend's better, though. I asked him what it was last time I saw him, and it wasn't one of the ones you all had recommended. I'll have to get him to write it down for me.

I've broken out my little bottle of Glenlivet. It's not bad. The aftertaste is very nice, but the first sensation is almost a perfumey taste I'm not sure I like.

I do like the warm feeling it's giving my tummy, though. ;)

I liked the kind I had at my friend's better, though. I asked him what it was last time I saw him, and it wasn't one of the ones you all had recommended. I'll have to get him to write it down for me.

I've got the Glenfiddich 18 out, I understand what you mean by the perfumeyness, to some degree it's the nature of the beast though.

I only drank a little of it. It's a nice sipping drink.

I'm about to break open one of my bottles of champagne, though. :shifty:

Wow, that's pretty impressive. I'm going to try adding a bit of water and see how I like that.

I'm still working my way through my little bottle of Glenlivet (I think it's the 12, which this guy doesn't think much of). I've been having maybe 1-2 fingers of it a couple times a week. I don't care for the taste, but I have to admit, I get that nice, warm feeling from drinking it that I don't get from other liquor. It's cozy.

I wish the good stuff were cheaper - I'd rather spend $50 on some CDs than a bottle of booze. Oh well.

Wow, that's pretty impressive. I'm going to try adding a bit of water and see how I like that.

I'm still working my way through my little bottle of Glenlivet (I think it's the 12, which this guy doesn't think much of). I've been having maybe 1-2 fingers of it a couple times a week. I don't care for the taste, but I have to admit, I get that nice, warm feeling from drinking it that I don't get from other liquor. It's cozy.

I wish the good stuff were cheaper - I'd rather spend $50 on some CDs than a bottle of booze. Oh well.

You can download the music, you can't download the alcohol.....priorities woman !!!

C'mon, $26.99 for Macallan 12 at Costco..........."yes we can"

"Macallan 12
The Macallan 12 is quite an interesting malt from the standpoint that many of the scotch "authorities" rate it highly, and many plain old enthusiasts rate it rather lower. I'm with the authorities, I think it is quite good, and great for the $$. I think many enthusiasts let the fact that the 12 is not very smoky or peaty lower their overall rating, where to me, it is simply a different style, but excellently executed. I certainly like it over the similar style Glenfarclas scotches I've had, since the Glenfarclas has a sort of sulpher taste that bothers me a little bit"

You can download the music, you can't download the alcohol.....priorities woman !!!

C'mon, $26.99 for Macallan 12 at Costco..........."yes we can"

First of all, I'm very picky about my music - a download of an album off iTunes is not the same as having the physical CD on my shelves. It's my collection, man!

Second of all, I don't have a Costco membership. :(

But one of my coworkers' husbands works there ...... :hmm:

You might like the Macallan 12 then. You get that nice cozy feeling, plus I think it tastes pretty good, too. :) I've tried adding a little water, but prefer mine straight. Or I guess "neat" is the right term for a scotch aficionado.

Yeah. I think I've pretty much hit my spending limit with the Macallan. Though I paid about 40 for mine. I may have to get a costco membership one of these days...

A friend of mine is a Scotch lover, so I shared the link with him. He is very delighted. :) Thanks for the hint.

He certainly wants to try the Ardbeg. Maybe we will find a nice Jazz bar in Seattle to have a nice accompanying drink.

You're coming to Seattle, Vincent?

In the Pioneer Square neighborhood, there's a bar called F.X. McRory's, and they have a good Scotch selection. :)

I'll have to remember that next time I'm up there. Which should be sometime this coming year. Late Spring-ish, maybe. :)

Last edited:
You're coming to Seattle, Vincent?

In the Pioneer Square neighborhood, there's a bar called F.X. McRory's, and they have a good Scotch selection. :)

Yeah, I'm coming! We were thinking about it for a while since we have some days off over Thanksgiving. Finally decided to go. So tomorrow we will start the trip, that is me, two Japanese and a Moroccan guy. I will make a note for the bar. Thanks!
The Japanese are also going to check out the fish market and are craving some Sushi. So we will hit some of the Japanese restaurants I guess. And then there is demand for a Jazz bar. Do you know of any great bars with some live Jazz music?

Btw., how are alcohol laws in Washington State? The Moroccan guy is only 20, so we are curious if the laws are as harsh as here in Montana where he can't even access many of the bars.

I'm not a jazz gal myself, but I hear good things about Jazz Alley - that might be right up your alley. Har har har. Oh man, sushi. :drool: Do you know where you'll be staying? There are a few options for the downtown/Belltown area (close to the Market).

I'd say you'll have a hard time getting alcohol or getting into bars if you're not 21. Sorry. :(

Let me know if you have other questions. I haven't talked to you much on the site, but consider yourself with a standing option of getting together for coffee or food or something, if you're interested in meeting a somewhat familiar face. No problem if you can't or don't want to. :)

And Diemen - YAY! Definitely let me know when you'll be back in Seattle. Would be cool to try and get together!

Back
Top Bottom