The FYM Bar - All Alcohol Discussion Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But don't over indulge gang, or you'll end up singing the blues.:

Take it away, Rory.

YouTube - Rory Gallagher - Too Much Alcohol

R.I.P Rory - One of the good guys.

He showed up an hour late to a show once (opening night of the tour, his flight form Ireland to UK was late), so he made it up to us by playing an extra hour.

My dad was PISSED as he was waiting outside to pick us up and take us home.

Yes kids, there was a life before cell phones.

allegrinilabelbar.jpg

Nuff said.:drool:

i drank way, way too much champagne last night. does that count?

i like vodka (Kettle One), red wine (any south african red will do), and Belgian beer (je t'adore, Leffe Brune).

but i'm really not all that picky.

It's funny, I like to drink, probably more than I should, but I'll only drink good quality beers (Bass, Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada) and Red Wine, preferably Italian, preferably Merlot or Cabernet.

If given the choice I'd turn away Vodka, Whiskey, Bourbon, etc. Not my bag.

i drank way, way too much champagne last night. does that count?

i like vodka (Kettle One), red wine (any south african red will do), and Belgian beer (je t'adore, Leffe Brune).

but i'm really not all that picky.

I am a huge belgian beer fan - though I sadly don't indulge it as often as my wine habit. If any of you FYMers are ever in the bay area, I'd be glad to talk politics (or whatever, really) over a glass of beer at either the Toronado (great dive bar near Haight/Ashbury with a huuuuge beer list) or the Trappiste (specializes in belgians/belgian style) in downtown Oakland.

A German comedian has a nice song about the topic (chorus is not that important ;))
YouTube - Otto Waalkes - Grund zum feiern

And the beer even Colin Powell enjoys (as mentioned in another thread), since he was stationed in the town it is brewed:
Flensburger Brewery
Joshka Fischer, former foreign minister of Germany, would bring him a six-pack when they meet and Powell would send it back for recycling. :) Those were the times.

I tried Bud Light once and had a regular Bud some years ago: it's disgusting and an insult to anyone who cares about beer.
I've pretty much stopped with hard stuff about six years ago. But I still enjoy beer. :)

I am a huge belgian beer fan - though I sadly don't indulge it as often as my wine habit. If any of you FYMers are ever in the bay area, I'd be glad to talk politics (or whatever, really) over a glass of beer at either the Toronado (great dive bar near Haight/Ashbury with a huuuuge beer list) or the Trappiste (specializes in belgians/belgian style) in downtown Oakland.

i have a sister in SanFran ... :hmm:

I tried Bud Light once and had a regular Bud some years ago: it's disgusting and an insult to anyone who cares about beer.

I will proudly admit to having never had a Bud Light or regular Bud. I have unfortunately had Coors Light, Michelob Light, Miller Genuine Draft and other similar piss-water.

I can't stand beer, everything about it just really grosses me out for some reason.

I'd like to like wine, but I get an allergic reaction from red wine (red blotches all over my face) and I'm not a huge fan of white wine, so I don't really have it often.

I do really like vodka (Chopin is the best I've had), I like whisky in some mixed drinks, and I really like rum a lot. Hate tequila.

I was genuinely interested in American beer and when we made our class trip to Tuscany back in 2001 there was a bar that served Budweiser and Miller, I think. I tried it and it was boring.
Last weekend someone gave me a can of Bud Light. I couldn't finish it. The taste is awful. I really don't get how they can call that beer.
The greatest thing: the people drink light beer and are proud of themselves that they can have so much of it. Go figure.

More bar tips for the bay area, please. I will be there January 5 till 10. :) Beer and politics never hurts. ;)

More bar tips for the bay area, please. I will be there January 5 till 10. :) Beer and politics never hurts. ;)

Cool! Have you decided if you're going to try to hit Yosemite or not?

Truth be told I'm not the best person to speak about bars in the bay area - I don't go very often. When I do go out it's usually to check out a bar that has a reputation for good beer. Hence my discovery of the Toronado and Trappiste.

Do you like wine, Vincent? I'd suggest a day trip to Sonoma/Napa to do some wine tasting if so.

I was genuinely interested in American beer

I have never heard anyone say that before - except in mockery. We fail at beer - with a few exceptions. What we should do is buy Belgium and then take their beer! Pfft, not in this economy.

Belgian beer is without a doubt my favorite. No contest. Chimay, Delerium, Leffe, etc. Fucking brilliant.

I also like Beefeater Gin with some tonic. I used to like Tangueray, but I've since been guided to the superiority that is Beefeater.

I can drink whisky as a shot only. I've yet to develop a taste for it, and I don't know if I ever will. I've tried and tried, but it never gets better for me.

I used to drink vodka quite often, but now, not so much. I did like Grey Goose, Chopin and some Polish vodka that I believe was called Bison.

I have never heard anyone say that before - except in mockery. We fail at beer - with a few exceptions. What we should do is buy Belgium and then take their beer! Pfft, not in this economy.

Belgian beer is without a doubt my favorite. No contest. Chimay, Delerium, Leffe, etc. Fucking brilliant.

I also like Beefeater Gin with some tonic. I used to like Tangueray, but I've since been guided to the superiority that is Beefeater.

I can drink whisky as a shot only. I've yet to develop a taste for it, and I don't know if I ever will. I've tried and tried, but it never gets better for me.

I used to drink vodka quite often, but now, not so much. I did like Grey Goose, Chopin and some Polish vodka that I believe was called Bison.

Which Chimay do you prefer? (how do you pronounce it? is it like "chy" or "kai"?) i have a red one in the fridge now.

i bought beefeater thanks to your suggestion. i haven't opened it yet, but i'm looking forward to it.

grey goose gets me into trouble. i try to keep away from it.

For those Belgian beer fans out there - I highly recommend Unibroue - they're a canadian brewery that specializes in Belgian style beer - and I've yet to be disappointed with anything they've made. I especially like their Maudite and La Fin du Monde.

And for authentic Belgian beer - check out Het Anker - especially their Gouden Carolus Grand Cru - which is quite possibly the tastiest beer I've ever had (the Trappiste even had it on tap for a while... :drool: ).

Cool! Have you decided if you're going to try to hit Yosemite or not?

Truth be told I'm not the best person to speak about bars in the bay area - I don't go very often. When I do go out it's usually to check out a bar that has a reputation for good beer. Hence my discovery of the Toronado and Trappiste.

Do you like wine, Vincent? I'd suggest a day trip to Sonoma/Napa to do some wine tasting if so.

Yes, Yosemite is definitely on my short list and my friends would be in. I guess we will just rent a car then and go, so I will talk to them about that so we can decide on a day and make a booking.

My favorite are bars where you can sit, it's not too loud and they serve good beer. So the both bars you suggested so far will be noted down. ;)

I like a glass or two of wine. I'm not sure about my friends. Not great drinker. I guess we will pass that day trip since our stay in the region is rather limited and with current events the exchange rate seems to go against us anyways. Car rentals in the US are not the cheapest. :(
But thanks for the tip nonetheless. Usually I don't pass up a chance of wine testing, or any other kind of testing for that matter. :wink:

Partly mockery. ;) I've heard so much bad stuff about American beer and how awful it tastes and what kind of stuff you put into it etc. I just had to check it myself. Suffices to say, those stories were right. ;)

Stella Artois wasn't bad. The only Belgian beer I had so far.

Yes, Yosemite is definitely on my short list and my friends would be in. I guess we will just rent a car then and go, so I will talk to them about that so we can decide on a day and make a booking.

My favorite are bars where you can sit, it's not too loud and they serve good beer. So the both bars you suggested so far will be noted down. ;)

Well, the Toronado is pretty loud. Trappiste isn't too bad, though. There's another restaurant/brewery not too far from the Toronado that was pretty good and had a quieter atmosphere, too. Magnolia Pub & Brewery is the name. I think they only served their own beers, but they were pretty good beers, anyway.

Well, the Toronado is pretty loud. Trappiste isn't too bad, though. There's another restaurant/brewery not too far from the Toronado that was pretty good and had a quieter atmosphere, too. Magnolia Pub & Brewery is the name. I think they only served their own beers, but they were pretty good beers, anyway.

I have realized that American bars tend to be a little louder. As long as you don't have to shout at each other I find it okay. Note behinde Trappiste. :)
It's also interesting that every bar has about a dozen TVs constantly running with no one watching at it.

Some of the local microbreweries are really good. Here in Missoula for example, we have a German brewer who brews a beer called Bayern. That's pretty good. Even after the fact that he is from and calls his beer Bayern. ;)

Back
Top Bottom