The FYM Bar - All Alcohol Discussion Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had 2 glasses of merlot at dinner tonight, which I shouldn't have done since I felt a cold coming on. Now I feel like crap.
:down:

I knocked off 2 bottles of wine 2 weeks ago.....it was a sunday and I got some really good cheeses at the market and was making a kick ass dinner. This started at around 5pm.....next thing I knew it was midnight and was wondering how the hell that happened.:reject:

Brunello or Ribera with sheep's cheese :drool: Now if only I could afford it... :(

Riesling or Gewurztraminer with curry is great too.

I'm drinking Johnny Walker Black right now (out of a nice tall glass) and its perfectly fine, a solid enough blend and reasonable price, and yes, Johnny Red is antiseptic.

/I hear it has a Hitchens endorsement :wink:

I'm drinking Johnny Walker Black right now (out of a nice tall glass) and its perfectly fine, a solid enough blend and reasonable price, and yes, Johnny Red is antiseptic.

/I hear it has a Hitchens endorsement :wink:

You lost me at 'blend'.......

'blend' is an acronym for "we're watering down the good stuff with the shit stuff'

Are there bad single malts ? Yes.

But just go get a Macallan 12 (or 18), or Glenfiddich 18, Dalwhinnie 15, and you'll never go back to blend.

I grew up in Johnnie Walker's hometown/headquarters, been to the plant a few times too, that stuff is in contact with aluminum more than it is with oak.

I cannot JW Black without the ice. Which to me, signifies it is not a great Scotch. It is an OK affordable scotch when on the rocks.

I've got a nasty cold......no alcohol for me this weekend.
God knows I'm gonna need some Tuesday night......:drool:

These days I like the flavour-infused vodkas with club soda or fruit juice - pretty much a sugar-free (hang-over free) version of yummy vodka coolers and martinis.

On the wine front, I'm red all the way and prefer French...also love sangria.

Any lager with a big slice of lime or amber beer works for me on a hot summer day or après ski.

I'm WAY overdue for a boozefest!

I will be in August. Let's round up.:hi5:

funny story.

one of my best friends is a woman of color, and she went to college in rural maine. when she was an 18 year old freshman, a 22 year old senior of her same heritage gave her one of her old driver's licenses and told her to use that to buy alcohol. and if anyone ever questioned her, she should gasp and call that person a racist and accuse him of thinking that all members of said ethnic group looked alike.

it worked.

funny story.

one of my best friends is a woman of color, and she went to college in rural maine. when she was an 18 year old freshman, a 22 year old senior of her same heritage gave her one of her old driver's licenses and told her to use that to buy alcohol. and if anyone ever questioned her, she should gasp and call that person a racist and accuse him of thinking that all members of said ethnic group looked alike.

it worked.

That's hilarious, and somewhat sad.:lol: Although, I wasn't aware that there were African American people in Maine, so I guess it's understandable.

But just go get a Macallan 12 (or 18), or Glenfiddich 18, Dalwhinnie 15, and you'll never go back to blend.

Out of these, which do you find the most satisfying? Any of them noticeably smoother than the others? I'm going to BevMo in a little while, and along with a good Belgian beer or two, I'm curious to try a nice scotch.

Last night i drank Bermudian Rum! A good friend is Bermudian and brought it back from a trip home to see the family. I don't know much about rum, but it was delicious and smooth and the 10 of us got through 3 bottles in an hour and a half. Hilariousness ensued.

Anyone like cider? Its my drink of choice at the moment. Red apple cider. YUM

Out of these, which do you find the most satisfying? Any of them noticeably smoother than the others? I'm going to BevMo in a little while, and along with a good Belgian beer or two, I'm curious to try a nice scotch.

Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old

I just got back from Costco and Trader Joe's:

Costco has Macallan 12 for 36.99, TJ has Dalwhinnie 15 for 42.99

If you're a relatively newbie to Scotch, go with the Macallan, it's the easier entry path. More of a Merlot to use a red wine analogy.

The Dalwhinnie is more complex, more of a deep-bodied Cab.

Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Glenmorangie 10 Year Old

Lightweight......

:)

You lost me at 'blend'.......

'blend' is an acronym for "we're watering down the good stuff with the shit stuff'

Are there bad single malts ? Yes.

I grew up in Johnnie Walker's hometown/headquarters, been to the plant a few times too, that stuff is in contact with aluminum more than it is with oak.
All bad scotch is blended but not all blends are bad.

And I lean towards Islay for single malts.

I just got back from Costco and Trader Joe's:

Costco has Macallan 12 for 36.99, TJ has Dalwhinnie 15 for 42.99

If you're a relatively newbie to Scotch, go with the Macallan, it's the easier entry path. More of a Merlot to use a red wine analogy.

The Dalwhinnie is more complex, more of a deep-bodied Cab.

Well, I love a deep-bodied cab...

I just got back. Decided to go with the Macallan 12. Almost went with the Dalwhinnie 15, but figured since I'm really just introducing myself, I'd go with the cheaper of the recognized names. ;) And holy crap there's some expensive scotch! I think it was either a Dewars or Glenfidditch of some sort (not exactly sure on the name), but there was a bottle in the case selling for $680! :crack:

Need to have dinner first, but I'll let you guys know what I think of the Macallan later tonight. :)

Okay, I had no idea scotch was that expensive. :lol: I saw a Macallan 12, but didn't want to spend $50 on a bottle of booze, no matter how fine it is.

I picked up a small $22 bottle of Glenlivet 12. I wanted to try something, and barring the dreaded Johnny Walker, it was in my price range. At that moment, I wished I could have picked up the phone and called someone from here to ask if I should go with that if it's so crappy I shouldn't buy any. Oh well.

:reject:

We pay excessively for spirits in Australia, I have half a mind of setting up a still to make mixing spirits.

Okay, I had no idea scotch was that expensive. :lol: I saw a Macallan 12, but didn't want to spend $50 on a bottle of booze, no matter how fine it is.

I picked up a small $22 bottle of Glenlivet 12. I wanted to try something, and barring the dreaded Johnny Walker, it was in my price range. At that moment, I wished I could have picked up the phone and called someone from here to ask if I should go with that if it's so crappy I shouldn't buy any. Oh well.

:reject:

The local BevMo had the Macallan 12 for $40. I justified it by telling myself it should last for a while. A helluva lot longer than a $40 bottle of wine or $40 in belgian beer, that's for sure. ;)

And I have to say it's quite nice, too. I'm not the best at describing taste, especially in a kind of drink I'm not familiar with, but it's quite smooth, lots of honey on the front and backside, and a nice smokiness over the whole thing. Doesn't get too hot on the finish, either. Good stuff. :up:

I'll be curious to try something like the Glenlivet 12 and see if I can appreciate the differences between it and the Macallan. If I can't, then I know to save money next time around. ;)

Back
Top Bottom