The Even Gayer than the Gay thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I honestly think I have played a massive role in changing my parents' views on homosexuality. Not that they were ever hideous bigots about it, they just had that old-world, casually homophobic, probably against it just cos, sorta views.

My cousin is gay and no one in my extended family thought it was a big deal. They're all conservatives, too. I guess it's just different in the northeast in that respect. Everyone's Catholic, too, and no one really gives a shit.

Have any of these points been raised?

1. What does this mean to 'adaptation'? Isnt it human nature to adapt? Its a shit thing, but imperfect humans have to live in an imperfect world. Gay people have survived to now getting married to people in the opposite sex and reproducing, their lives might be a 'lie' (but that is subjective). < - This is not homophobic, but in a survival of the fittest, being unable to adapt means perishing

2. Isnt this just an exercise in the canon of tolerance? To destigmatize homosexuality, to stop kids committing suicide because they were unable to handle the burden of being gay? so with this does this mean: "Its ok you can get married now"?

another couple of points

1. 90% of the world (or more) doesnt recognize homosexuality

2. marry someone of the opposite sex instead?

3. No marriages for anyone! Have a free for all instead? :hyper:

A bit of both. The current govt is conservative and the party has a binding stance against SSM. They had a 6-hour meeting yesterday about whether or not they would allow party members to have a conscience vote, but decided against it. We now have an opportunistic cunt of prime minister saying that if his govt wins another term we'll have a plebiscite in 2017 (also his sister is gay lol). A lot of conservatives and arseholes saying 'oh well this is great! Put it to the people and if it passes, well good'. But that's such a cop-out because it's all political point-scoring and shows no care whatsoever for yknow, gay people. Otherwise they'd just have a fucking plebiscite or referendum now.

Had it been put to parliament it still probably would have failed but the whole thing just makes me so fucking angry. An absolute embarrassment.

Have any of these points been raised?

1. What does this mean to 'adaptation'? Isnt it human nature to adapt? Its a shit thing, but imperfect humans have to live in an imperfect world. Gay people have survived to now getting married to people in the opposite sex and reproducing, their lives might be a 'lie' (but that is subjective). < - This is not homophobic, but in a survival of the fittest, being unable to adapt means perishing

2. Isnt this just an exercise in the canon of tolerance? To destigmatize homosexuality, to stop kids committing suicide because they were unable to handle the burden of being gay? so with this does this mean: "Its ok you can get married now"?

another couple of points

1. 90% of the world (or more) doesnt recognize homosexuality

2. marry someone of the opposite sex instead?

3. No marriages for anyone! Have a free for all instead? :hyper:

Not exactly sure what the point you're trying to make is, but I'll give it a shot.

1 Adaptation means survival of the fittest, but animals also adapt to their surroundings. Why do people become gay? We don't know, but some of us are and some of us are not. This could very well be an evolutionary adaptation. The earth is over populated, humans are becoming a disease to the planet, gay people don't procreate so they're very much useful to keep populations in check.

2 And yes, it is very much an excercise in tolerance. Kids commit suicide not because they cannot handle the burden of being gay, but because they feel alienated when they get bullied all the time because OTHER people cannot handle it. Being able to get married tells them that it's okay indeed, that they're normal people like everybody else, and now finally getting the same rights. And it shows others that it's not okay to just terrorise someone's life because they're gay.

1 And your other point, 90%? That's rather a lot. I would say it's far lower now. And even if it's true, then what? What are you trying to say with this, because the majority of people don't accept it, we shouldn't either? A long time ago 100% of the US was pretty damn positive towards slavery... so should we not have discarded that then?

2 Why would I marry someone I have no feelings for?

3 that would be a fair point, if marriage was completely discarded, that would be the most equal option. But it's never going to happen since it's too rooted in our society.

So this leaves me, what exactly is the point you're trying to make? You are posting rather random statements that make very little sense..

He's been here for years. He makes a post that's random off the wall and then NEVER engages in conversation.

Hm, pardon me for trying then. He's welcome to change his ways and try to explain his views though.

It's been a quiet while anyway. :wink:

Absolutely. I just understand the frustration, is all. He does this in B&C like once a month. If he actually comes and engages in conversation, it's a welcome change of pace.

If she doesn't want to marry gay people, for wathever reason possible... maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe she should not get a job where you marry people??

Imagine if you will, that this woman was a Muslim man who refused to marry people because he follows sharia law. We'd have the religious right screaming bloody murder from every corner. But because it's a "nice christian" lady, she's a martyr. Please keep your religion out of my government.

this happens in many countries all over the world everyday. are people going there and demanding that those people abandon their culture, faith and customs?

this happens in many countries all over the world everyday. are people going there and demanding that those people abandon their culture, faith and customs?

If it interferes with their job serving people of all cultures, faiths and customs, then yeah... either they would have to get over themselves or get a different job that doesn't stroke with their ideals.

Because, the last time I checked this country wasn't a theocracy.

Trust me, in my line of work, there are gobs of people I'd like to say, nope, no housing for you, but not housing someone because I don't like them isn't legal, so I shut my mouth and do my job.

It gets better:

Clerk Kim Davis divorced three times, first in 1994, then 2006 and again in 2008. She gave birth to twins five months after divorcing her first husband. They were fathered by her third husband but adopted by her second. Davis worked at the clerk's office at the time of each divorce and has since remarried

So she can commit adultery, but marrying two men or two women is against her religious beliefs. :doh:

I almost feel bad for this woman. She seems like a patsy for larger, evil forces.

Almost.

She may well resign after a long drawn out battle and do the Dugger speaking circuit and book tour and rake in the inevitable $$$.

Back
Top Bottom