Terror Attack in Nice, France

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like they want to oust the pro-Islamist government and restore Democracy and human rights according to the military statement. Not a bad thing IMO

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Sounds like they want to oust the pro-Islamist government and restore Democracy and human rights according to the military statement. Not a bad thing IMO

Yes, because you have to just trust the military (especially in a country with a history of military coups) when they make statements like this.

that is a military coup. yesterday was terrorism.

two utterly different and unrelated things.

Which was unknown at the time of initial reports of events in Turkey. Given the frequent terrorist attacks in Turkey in the recent past, I assumed this was another.

Why would any one want to go on vacation to France,

and this list is only the last year and one half,

and there should be 100 more dead people that were on that train, with the Islamic terrorist that had an assault rifle, petrol and 300 rounds, except 3 young Americans risked their lives to save everyone else, American exceptionalism?? **

Here is a timeline of the attacks on France going back to January 2015, when terrorists killed 11 journalists in the newsroom of the Charlie Hebdo satirical newspaper:

Police officers, firefighters and rescue workers are seen at the site of an attack on July 15, 2016, after a truck drove into a crowd watching a fireworks display in the French Riviera town of Nice.
Police officers, firefighters and rescue workers are seen at the site of an attack on July 15, 2016, after a truck drove into a crowd watching a fireworks display in the French Riviera town of Nice.
July 14, 2016

A driver killed 84 people and injured more than 100 others when he steered his speeding truck into a crowd in Nice at a celebration of Bastille Day, France's independence holiday. Many children were among the dead.

June 13, 2016

A knife-wielding man killed a senior police chief and his companion, also a police officer, in Magnanville, about 55 kilometers west of Paris. Police rescued the couple’s 3-year-old boy and killed the assailant pledging allegiance to Islamic State.

January 7, 2016

A militant wearing a fake explosive belt attacked police officers in the Goutte d'Or district in Paris, shouting "Allahu Akbar," or "God is great" in Arabic. He was shot dead and one policeman was injured. The Islamic State flag and a clearly written claim in Arabic were found on the attacker.

January 1, 2016
A man rammed his car into four soldiers guarding a mosque in the southeast French city of Valence, and he was stopped when a soldier fired and wounded him. He said he wanted to kill troops, and terror propaganda images were found on his computer. One soldier was slightly injured and a passer-by was also injured by a stray bullet.

FILE - President Barack Obama, right, French President Francois Hollande, second from right, and Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo arrive at the Bataclan, site of one of the Paris terrorists attacks, to pay their respects to the victims, Nov. 30, 2015.
FILE - President Barack Obama, right, French President Francois Hollande, second from right, and Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo arrive at the Bataclan, site of one of the Paris terrorists attacks, to pay their respects to the victims, Nov. 30, 2015.
November 13-14, 2015

In the deadliest attack in France’s modern history, nine gunmen and suicide bombers launched multiple deadly attacks across the French capital, killing almost 130 people and wounding more than 350.

Gunmen stormed the Bataclan concert hall in central Paris, where the U.S. rock band Eagles of Death Metal was performing, and fired AK-47s into the crowd, leaving 89 dead.

Thirty-nine people were also killed when a gunman opened fire on diners sitting at outdoor terraces in the popular eating districts of central Paris.

One was killed in three explosions near the Stade de France football ground, where France was playing Germany in an international match.

Seven of the perpetrators died on the night of the attacks, and two were killed in the days that followed.

August 21, 2015

A gunman opened fire on board a Thalys high-speed train traveling from Amsterdam to Paris, wounding three people before being overpowered by passengers, including two American servicemen.

June 26, 2015

Attackers crashed a car into a U.S.-owned gas company in Saint-Quentin-Fallavier, southeast of Lyon, then beheaded a businessman, leaving his decapitated body daubed with Arabic writing at the entrance of the premises. A flag with Islamist inscriptions was also found nearby.

April 19, 2015

An Algerian jihadist attempted an unsuccessful attack against one or more churches in Villejuif. He killed a woman, probably while trying to steal her car, but he accidentally shot himself in the leg, ending his plans.

February 3, 2015

A knife-wielding assailant attacked soldiers outside a Jewish community center in the southern French city of Nice. Two of the servicemen were injured, but their lives were not in danger.

He told a news conference in Paris that El-Khazzani had watched an online recording inciting radical violence minutes before the thwarted attack on the train travelling from Amsterdam to Paris.
He said the gunman boarded the train in Brussels on Friday armed with:
a Kalashnikov assault rifle
270 rounds of ammunition
a Luger pistol
a bottle of petrol
a box-cutter
a hammer
Mr Khazzani denies planning to launch a terrorist attack, saying he had come across a stash of weapons in a Belgian park and decided to use it to rob passengers.

Last edited:
Well, I hope to be going to visit Paris in Sept via another country where I am staying with people for a few weeks .

It would have to get waaay worse for me to cancel the (side) trip to Paris if I can go.

I've lived in NYC all my life.
For me from the early 60's through the ?early 90's', I (and fellow NYC'rs) endured the usually below the surface angst except when World Affairs would heat up into the "we're no #1 " target for the then Soviet Union's nuclear bombs before we knew about Nuclear Winter (which gave even more credence later to the original "MAD" Mutually Assured Destruction acronym for trying not going to nuclear war).

And particularly the year or so after 9-11 as well.

So yeah, I know about living with that kind of uncertainty. I m going to Paris! (I hope). :)

Last edited:
Why would any one want to go on vacation to France,

Because it's a beautiful country rich in history and culture?

My wife and I just returned at the end of June from a 3 week vacation traveling around France. We spent a week in Paris and did many of the big touristy sights. We also flew in and out of Brussels, and really enjoyed our couple days there as well. It was an incredible trip, and we're already thinking about a return trip a few years down the road.

If only you'd posted this before we left, we might have saved ourselves from a trip into the big scary war zone. :rolleyes:

and if you were there this week you very well may have been at Nice for the Bastille Day fireworks or taken in the Eagles of Death Metal Show or been on that train. Just luck for you and your wife, many vacationers were not so lucky.

Oh how wonderful, diemen!

Though I've travel across and around the USA on 2 big trips, then a host of smaller ( around 800 miles or less) around the States, and Puerto Rico, I've never been else, oh yes Toronto and Montreal family trips when I was a teen) .

Paris is one of a few places I'd stilll love to visit [bucket list] !!
I got to visit many of he cities and big, vast countrysides of the USA in all these years. So i've been lucky that way! Chicago is still on my list.

So i just found out some of the people I'm staying with were planning a few days trip to Paris anyway, they invited me to go, so I'll join them if it works out for them, instead of going alone.

Been google mapping Paree! :love: :hyper:

***Any cafe suggested cafe, diemen, or anyone else recently there? Some of these people have been to Paris a bunch of times, but not so recently . Thanks!***

Last edited:
Yes, true, deep....

And like I said I live in a from time to time a seriously "targeted" city...so I'll have to trust to luck, the odds in my favor, sharp eyes of others, my own instincts, the semi-familiar living with that I kind of uncertainty anyway .

So, yeah, I'm hoping to get here!

Last edited:
and if you were there this week you very well may have been at Nice for the Bastille Day fireworks or taken in the Eagles of Death Metal Show or been on that train. Just luck for you and your wife, many vacationers were not so lucky.

I hope you're locked in a bunker somewhere because no place in this planet of ours is absolutely safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

false comparison,

We are not talking about risk vs no risk at all

we are talking about choosing lessor risk vs higher risk

a car could crash into my house and kill me, therefore I should sit in the middle of the street?

I have lived in So California my whole life
I used to go to Mexico quite often,
awhile back, I gave it up, risk vs reward ratio had shifted too muh

An hey, here in NYC, for instance, especially in the more heavily used commercial areas where infrastructure depreciates faster... I could get hit by a exploding manhole cover, or just with heavy traffic, and some impatient drivers get side swiped or worse. Have had a couple of near misses. S o I try to be more careful than not!

false comparison,

We are not talking about risk vs no risk at all

we are talking about choosing lessor risk vs higher risk

a car could crash into my house and kill me, therefore I should sit in the middle of the street?

Speaking of false comparisons...

I'd suggest you take a look at murder rates in France and California. While these high profile terror attacks are absolutely horrible, chances are pretty slim that you'll find yourself in the middle of it. Not impossible, just as it's not impossible getting shot in the streets on a grocery run at home in a wrong time at the wrong place scenario.

Don't let them or fear win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Or I could have stayed home and gotten in a fatal car accident. Or shot in a mass shooting. Must've been just lucky that I went to France instead of staying in the States.

that is a very poor argument, to try and help you rational thinking in the evaluation risk factors will take more time than I have right now.

Or I could have stayed home and gotten in a fatal car accident. Or shot in a mass shooting. Must've been just lucky that I went to France instead of staying in the States.

"Fair, balanced, and STILL unafraid..."

:up:

I'd say the chances of being shot whilst on holiday in the US are just as high as the chances of being killed by a terrorist attack in Europe, if not higher.

that is a very poor argument, to try and help you rational thinking in the evaluation risk factors will take more time than I have right now.

:up:

If I have a free travel voucher to a European country and I'm worried about terrorism, France will be bumped down farther down my list.

Quick mental risk assessment

This is stupid.

There are thousands of Bastille Day celebrations throughout France every year. Only one, in one year, has been attacked. The odds of you even being at the attacked celebrations, let alone harmed, are vanishingly slim.

There are thousands of live music events throughout France every week, surely extending into the millions per year. The odds of you even being at the attacked concert, let alone harmed, are vanishingly slim.

There are thousands of railway services throughout France every week, definitely extending into the millions per year. The odds of you even being on the attacked train, let alone harmed, are vanishingly slim.

So no, it's not good luck to have avoided attack. It's massively, implausibly, shittingly bad luck to be harmed in an attack. And bad luck will sometimes befall you, but you can't live your life like you're going to be victim to an extremely rare event.

Back
Top Bottom