Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia Dies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The justice will be replacing Scalia... it most definitely will be a moderate and still considered a huge swing for the courts in favor of a more liberal look. I'm sure Obama will be looking for someone that will get through, not the anti-Scalia that is Sotomayor.

Edit: somehow I double posted 39 minutes apart

Rubio has already been asked why he would refuse to appoint somebody like Sri Srivanasan - a DC circuit court of appeals justice that he previously voted to appoint and that cruised through the nomination process with a 97-0 vote.

I honestly hope the Republicans act like the jackasses they are and then Hillary sticks them with somebody like Pam Karlan in 2017.

I hold no illusions that if Notorious RBG passed away tomorrow (in an opposite world where there's a Republican in the WH and dems control the senate), the same thing would be happening with the roles reversed, including all the rejoicing and tsk tsking on social media.

Would the dems be so quick to be all "LOL NOPE DON'T EVEN TRY" if they were in the Reps position right now, with a Republican in office? I don't know. I'm sure they wouldn't be quick to approve the POTUS's nominee, but I am skeptical that if the congress roles were reversed, they'd be making such statements hours after the justice's death about how they weren't even going to bother voting on a nominee.

That was really wordy, but I hope it made sense. I just rolled out of bed and am not even halfway through my coffee.

Just like being a libertarian, you're only a constitutionalist when the simpleton literalist view benefits you.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I wouldn't want the Senate to block Bush's nominee because it was his lame duck year. I would want the Senate to block Bush's nominee because Bush's nominee sucks.

Just like being a libertarian, you're only a constitutionalist when the simpleton literalist view benefits you.

Constitutionalism is bullshit and a dumb way to live by. Much like religion. Don't think for yourself, just cite what the bible/constitution says. It was made by someone way smarter than us. It is holy.

In May 1969 there was an opening on the Supreme Court it was not filled until June 1970. The Democrats Senate rejected the first two nominees by President Nixon and finally approved the 3rd.

As I understood it, a president is only truly a lame duck between the election and inauguration of a new president. Some people may apply the term earlier, but that seems to usually be motivated by political purposes. Until the first Tuesday in November, the president of the US is the president of the US and has been elected to do a job. After this point there is a transition, but until then, they should make the calls they are there to make.
I started to add this to my post, then opted not to, because some people use the term to refer to the entire last year, basically once the election cycle really gets going, but yeah, to my knowledge, the term really just refers to the transfer period after November.

Anyways, I think I clearly answered the original question, and to anyone suggesting I'm ducking it, sorry I didn't answer the way you wanted me to. We can't all be hypocrites.

This is exposing the vast hypocrisy of the right wing. Bonus points for bringing the Republican Messiah Reagan into this.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app

This is really just the icing on the cake, this whole election has been pointing out the hypocrisy of the right. I mean supporting the Tea Party claiming "small" government and needing Christian values and then supporting Trump who's neither has been extremely telling. It really was about race.

The justice will be replacing Scalia... it most definitely will be a moderate and still considered a huge swing for the courts in favor of a more liberal look. I'm sure Obama will be looking for someone that will get through, not the anti-Scalia that is Sotomayor.

That sounds reasonable, like when they replaced Thurgood Marshall, the most liberal court member, George HW Bush would choose a moderate. Right?
Because they would not want to upset the balance on the court too much.

From what I've heard, Cruz plans to filibuster Obama's nomination. Because of course he would :rolleyes:.

Sure, I think if the situation were reversed and a Republican president were up against a heavily Democratic Senate, the Democrats would do their part to disagree with the Republican president's pick.

But I also think their motives for doing so would be very different from the current Republican party's motives for opposing Obama's pick. The GOP's refusal to support anything Obama has put forth during his time as president (including things the GOP themselves were originally for until Obama got on board) has much deeper, and often much uglier, reasons behind it.

Scalia shouldn't have gotten mixed up in the executive game, it was never for a guy like him. I hear he owed Tony Soprano bigtime on poker. Hunting accident, or hit, you be the judge!

That sounds reasonable, like when they replaced Thurgood Marshall, the most liberal court member, George HW Bush would choose a moderate. Right?
Who replaced Marshall, Clarence Thomas?

Death of Justice suspicious

yeah, they are never going to say, he took a performance enhancing drug and his companion called in a panic when he was unresponsive

it always goes like this, they found him alone in the morning, he died of natural causes, no autopsy report

How humorous. You're so clever, deep.

I wasn't describing Obama doing something that was with intentions of "being fair." I was describing him doing something that's possible, given a Repube controlled congress that is more divided than ever which will intentionally look to block it just because Obama.

Death of Justice suspicious

yeah, they are never going to say, he took a performance enhancing drug and his companion called in a panic when he was unresponsive

it always goes like this, they found him alone in the morning, he died of natural causes, no autopsy report

The family is refusing an autopsy

the right wing websites are a joy to read today. the Scalia meltdown is something to behold.

It's been interesting to revisit our senators and former senators' comments on Supreme nominations over the last decade or two.

Not one to give credence to conspiracy theories, I will just say this:

"Marfa, Texas" where Scalia died over the weekend is an anagram for "at a sex farm". Need I say more? The prosecution rests.

Borrowed this from a friend on Facebook, :lol:

Back
Top Bottom