Subprime credit crunch...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some new developments in the mortgage fallout:

July 11 (Bloomberg) -- IndyMac Bancorp Inc. became the second-biggest federally insured financial company to be seized by U.S. regulators after a run by depositors left the California mortgage lender short on cash.

:|

Shares of both Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae were pressured by prospects that the mortgage giants, which help make the American dream of home ownership possible for millions, will need to be bailed out by the U.S. taxpayer.
A report that the Federal Reserve will allow the mortgage giant to access the discount window to relieve capital pressures later rallied the shares from more than 50% losses into positive territory, though they later slipped back into the red.

WASHINGTON - Struggling homeowners who can't afford their mortgages and banks facing big losses would get government help under a foreclosure rescue that has broad bipartisan support.

The new program would let the FHA insure as much as $300 billion in new mortgages, helping an estimated 400,000 homeowners.

The socialization of the mortgage losses continues, and will probably get worse.

Monetarists warn of crunch across Atlantic economies - Telegraph

The lifeblood of countries' economies is draining away - with grim consequences for us all, writes Ambrose Evans-Pritchard

The money supply data from the US, Britain, and now Europe, has begun to flash warning signals of a potential crunch. Monetarists are increasingly worried that the entire economic system of the North Atlantic could tip into debt deflation over the next two years if the authorities misjudge the risk.

The key measures of US cash, checking accounts, and time deposits - M1 and M2 - have been contracting in real terms for several months. A dramatic slowdown in Britain's broader M4 aggregates is setting off alarm bells here.

Money data - a leading indicator - is telling a very different story from the daily headlines on inflation, now 4.1pc in the US, 3.7pc in Europe, and 3.3pc in Britain.

Read more by Ambrose Evans-Pritchard
More on economics
Paul Kasriel, chief economist at Northern Trust, says lending by US commercial banks contracted at an annual rate of 9.14pc in the 13 weeks to June 18, the most violent reversal since the data series began in 1973. M2 money fell at a rate of 0.37pc.

"The money supply is crumbling in the US. There was a very sharp lending contraction in the second quarter lending. If the Federal Reserve is forced to raise rates now to defend the dollar, it would be checkmate for the US economy," he said.

Leigh Skene from Lombard Street Research said the lending conditions in the US were now the worst since the Great Depression. "Credit liquidation has begun," he said.

The Fed's awful predicament does indeed have echoes of the early 1930s when the bank felt constrained to tighten into the Slump in order to halt bullion loss under the Gold Standard. Investors - notably foreigners - dictated a perverse policy. Over 4,000 US banks collapsed. This time a de facto "Oil Standard" is boxing in Ben Bernanke. Benign neglect of the dollar has started to backfire. It is pushing up crude, with multiple leverage.

The monetary picture is highly complex. The different measures - M1, M2, M3, M4 - have all given false signals in the past. Each tells a different tale, and monetarists fight like alley cats among themselves.

The Federal Reserve stopped paying much attention to the data a long time ago. It has abolished M3 altogether. The US economic consensus is New-Keynesian (dynamic stochastic general equilibrium model). Delving into the money entrails is derided as little better than soothsaying.

That attitude, retort monetarists, is the root cause of the credit bubble. The money supply almost always gives advance warning of big economic shifts. Those who track the data are now calling on central banks to move with extreme caution. If the rate-setters overreact to an inflation spike caused by oil and food - or confuse today's climate with the early 1970s - they may set off an ugly chain of events.

"The data is pretty worrying," said Paul Ashworth, US economist at Capital Economics. "US lending is shrinking dramatically in real terms, and we know from the Fed's survey that banks want to tighten further. People are clamouring for higher rates but we think deflation is now the biggest threat. The idea that the Fed should tighten with unemployment soaring is preposterous," he said. The jobless rate jumped from 5pc to 5.5pc in May.

advertisementIn Britain, the Shadow Monetary Policy Committee - hosted by the Institute for Economic Affairs, and a refuge for UK monetarists - issued its own alert this week. The focus is on "adjusted M4", which covers loans to "private non-financial corporations" and may offer the best insight into the health of British business.

The growth rate has dropped from 16.1pc a year ago to minus 0.5pc in April. It is the suddenness of the decline that matters most. The data reeks of recession. Professor Patrick Minford from Cardiff Business School called for an immediate rate cut, arguing that the credit crunch is a more powerful and long-lasting force than the oil inflation.

Professor Tim Congdon from the London School of Economics said the UK was lurching from boom to bust. "Real money growth is virtually nil. The British economy is taking a thrashing and it is going to get worse. Corporate money balances have contracted 3pc over the last three months, which is double digits on an annualised basis. This is a serious squeeze for companies," he said.

Mr Congdon warned three years ago that surging M4 would lead to a "dangerous" bubble, which is what occurred. He now fears the MPC will react too late as the process goes into reverse.

Roger Bootle from Capital Economics said Britain could be facing a "real economic crisis and a financial collapse. The MPC does not have the luxury of waiting until all is absolutely crystal clear. By that time the bird will have flown."

It's funny how monetarists have pushed for liberalisation and "the market knows best" and now that this card house is collapsing the neo-Keynesian Fed is to blame.

I have a money market account there, at the FDIC limit.

I have no concerns.

I also have an account at Country Wide, and since they were bought by Bank of America, and I have an account there, I now exceed the FDIC limit.
But B of A in not at risk, yet.

41006248-14123950.jpg

People started lining up at 5 am. at IndyMac Bank.

Some will wait all day, and not get in.

They can only process about 100 people a day.

I still am not concerned.

The IndyMac failure will use up a good chunk of the FDIC's ~$52 billion fund, which is about 1% of insured funds. A wave of failures could easily overwhelm the insurance fund and will probably require congressional intervention.

I just found out my little sister is having her 6th..

and not to derail, but BigBrother 10 is up
and they do have a decent cast this season.

It's always the right and the wrong time to have a child. ;)

It is possible that we will see a large credit crunch, it might be that it will be ugly, but nothing is certain at the moment. I doubt it will get as bad as with the Great Depression, especially not long-term.

One thing that is still a big problem is that the interbanking money market is notfunctioning properly. That means, the banks are still hesitant to give loans to each other, which is essential for our banking systems.
And the other problem is, as deep hinted, that the international banking system is so closely intertwined that a problem in a country like the US almost certainly becomes a problem for banks in other countries, dragging down the whole financial system and, in the long-run, the real economy.

I just found out my little sister is having her 6th..

and not to derail, but BigBrother 10 is up
and they do have a decent cast this season.

Reallly. . .

I had given up on Big Brother after last summer's season. . .which I found just atrocious.

Anywho. . let me amble over to Zoo Station and discuss it there so as to avoid further derailment.

WASHINGTON -- The Treasury Department is putting the finishing touches to a plan designed to shore up Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, according to people familiar with the matter, a move that would essentially result in a government takeover of the mortgage giants.

The plan is expected to involve putting the two companies into the conservatorship of their regulator, the Federal Housing Finance Agency, said several people familiar with the matter. That would mean the government would take the reins of the companies, at least temporarily.

It is also expected to involve the government injecting capital into Fannie and Freddie. That could happen gradually on a quarter-by-quarter basis, rather than in a single move, one person familiar with the matter said.

U.S. Near Deal on Fannie, Freddie - WSJ.com

So taxpayers get to foot the bill to help bail out banks, and non-homeowners get to bail out homeowners with loans up to $730k - wonderful.

So taxpayers get to foot the bill to help bail out banks, and non-homeowners get to bail out homeowners with loans up to $730k - wonderful.

Unfortunately, there's no alternative. Their corporate bonds are treated like government bonds by other foreign government investors, and to let these bonds evaporate in case of a bankruptcy would be tremendously damaging to our economy.

That's why I :| when people say that we should "run the U.S. government like a business." We can't declare bankruptcy or merge with a larger government when our idiot businessmen mismanage us into insolvency--although Bush seems incredibly determined to test that theory.

Their corporate bonds are treated like government bonds by other foreign government investors, and to let these bonds evaporate in case of a bankruptcy would be tremendously damaging to our economy.

The bond prospectuses say that they are not government-backed. China lost a lot already in treasuries when the dollar tanked. Bank profits are privatized, but losses are socialized - I guess that's the part that gets me riled up.

The bond prospectuses say that they are not government-backed.

You are correct, but it doesn't change the fact that it has been treated that way, because it has been presumed that the government would bail them out in case of insolvency. The international fallout would be tremendous if the government did not bail them out.

A "moral hazard"? You bet. Our businesses are in a very sad state of affairs, and I blame our "business leaders" for making them fat, inefficient, and highly entitled. And now they're all on welfare these days. So much for "personal responsibility."

Interestingly, the Chinese central bank has been hammered so hard on their foreign bonds that they are now in need of a capital infusion:

Main Bank of China Is in Need of Capital

HONG KONG — China’s central bank is in a bind.

It has been on a buying binge in the United States over the last seven years, snapping up roughly $1 trillion worth of Treasury bonds and mortgage-backed debt issued by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Those investments have been declining sharply in value when converted from dollars into the strong yuan, casting a spotlight on the central bank’s tiny capital base. The bank’s capital, just $3.2 billion, has not grown during the buying spree, despite private warnings from the International Monetary Fund.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/05/business/worldbusiness/05yuan.html?scp=4&sq=china&st=cse

Melon in another thread mentioned the possibility of a Japanese style deflationary period. I agree that this is a possibility. I personally think it's more likely than not, but not a certainty. On the other hand, we could end up with monetization-induced stagflation or even recessflation or hyperinflation. I really don't know at this point.

U.S. Near Deal on Fannie, Freddie - WSJ.com

What a mess, eh?

While everyone has sympathy with people who lose their homes, I tend to think that walking away from mortgage debt obligations is too easy in the US, at least in some states. If I understand it correctly, mortgagees who find that value of their home is less than the mortgage can simply 'hand the keys back to the bank' and though it would affect their credit record that would only be for a few years.

So there's actually an incentive even for people who CAN repay their mortgages to hand the keys back to the bank if they are in negative equity and let the bank take the hit. Come to think of it, it could be seen as another example of moral hazard.

In the UK and Ireland, it is much more difficult. I have heard of cases of Irish people who walked away from mortgages in the UK during the early 1990's property market crash and moved back to Ireland, but the banks were still able to pursue them in the courts in Ireland for the unmet balance, as some of the UK banks have Irish operations.

Melon in another thread mentioned the possibility of a Japanese style deflationary period. I agree that this is a possibility. I personally think it's more likely than not, but not a certainty. On the other hand, we could end up with monetization-induced stagflation or even recessflation or hyperinflation. I really don't know at this point.

I tend to lean towards a period of stagflation:hmm:

You are correct, but it doesn't change the fact that it has been treated that way, because it has been presumed that the government would bail them out in case of insolvency. The international fallout would be tremendous if the government did not bail them out.

A "moral hazard"? You bet. Our businesses are in a very sad state of affairs, and I blame our "business leaders" for making them fat, inefficient, and highly entitled. And now they're all on welfare these days. So much for "personal responsibility."

Bail Out!!! Thank you J.P. Morgan and The Rockefellers

What a mess, eh?

In the UK and Ireland, it is much more difficult. I have heard of cases of Irish people who walked away from mortgages in the UK during the early 1990's property market crash and moved back to Ireland, but the banks were still able to pursue them in the courts in Ireland for the unmet balance, as some of the UK banks have Irish operations.

Dang. I wonder if something like that over here would've made the people who took out the expensive mortgages they couldn't afford think twice about it before they did it.

Back
Top Bottom