Study:Christians Under Threat Around the World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After years of reading his posts on here, I just wish that the original poster would admit that being christian right and libertarian are two distinctly opposite things, and would choose a side. Can't have it both ways - sorry. I think that's the major reason I cannot take any of his posts seriously. I'd welcome the opportunity for him to prove me wrong, though.

yeah, christianity is still the dominant religion in america. more people than ever are identifying themselves as atheist or not religious, but we're still a christian country. it sucks because though i'm a christian, i hate how some let it rule everything. it isn't the be-all and end-all of everything, especially for those who aren't christian.

and i completely agree with what bvs said about the christian right and persecution. that's exactly how they operate. i get so tired of this victim act when they don't even realise how easy they have it. they have the white house by the balls for some dumb reason (e.g. tell me again why exactly churches don't pay taxes?), yet all these guys act like they're being persecuted by the big bad media, government, whoever they want to play victim for today. so tired of it.

and i completely agree with what bvs said about the christian right and persecution. that's exactly how they operate. i get so tired of this victim act when they don't even realise how easy they have it. they have the white house by the balls for some dumb reason (e.g. tell me again why exactly churches don't pay taxes?).

All religions and religious organizations are taxed excempt in the
United States.

Tax Information for Churches and Religious Organizations

Religious-Freedoms-Graphic.png

This is from Iron's post above. This picture says a little more about the situation than these "articles" he's posting. To me this says that religious persecution is a problem all around, so why the focus on Christians? This also tells me that the majority of the abuse comes from the people moreso than the governments. But it doesn't really bother with talking about the religious groups persecuting groups of people based on their sexuality, race, or anything non-related to religious association.

So let's not play martyr, let's get upset about persecution in general, let's get upset by the persecution that's happening in our own backyards, our own churches, our own countries. Where are those articles?

and i completely agree with what bvs said about the christian right and persecution. that's exactly how they operate. i get so tired of this victim act when they don't even realise how easy they have it. they have the white house by the balls for some dumb reason (e.g. tell me again why exactly churches don't pay taxes?), yet all these guys act like they're being persecuted by the big bad media, government, whoever they want to play victim for today. so tired of it.
I have always asked myself whether persecuted Christians, or any other religious group that has been persecuted throughout history, would prefer religious freedom instead of financial freedom in the long run. Many of their so-called victim acts mainly protect their beliefs, traditions and overall culture, but they also protect their own economic interests, which brings the analysis of the negative correlation existent between religion and wealth.

Many of their so-called victim acts mainly protect their beliefs, traditions and overall culture, but they also protect their own economic interests, which brings the analysis of the negative correlation existent between religion and wealth.

:huh: I'd ask for you to elaborate, but we all know your history...

Isn't anyone (not just Christians) who doesn't support "militant Islam", a threat to "militant Islam"? They are radical and irrational bigots. Fundies. If Christians have been targeted by militant Islamic groups in the Middle East, than once the Christians have been wiped out, atheists, Baha'is and the rest will be next.

It's not like it's easy for them right now. As said before, it's not that Christians are singled out and persecuted.

One: you missed her point and didn't answer her post.
Two: I think we all wish you would use your own words.

"After years of reading his posts on here, I just wish that the original poster would admit that being christian right and libertarian are two distinctly opposite things, and would choose a side. Can't have it both ways - sorry. I think that's the major reason I cannot take any of his posts seriously. I'd welcome the opportunity for him to prove me wrong, though"

'One: you missed her point and didn't answer her post."

Did I have a direct question?

"Two: I think we all wish you would use your own words"

My own words? Did you take time to read the link I posted?

I'm amazed at how the subject of the conversation is always so easily
diverted.

My own words by the way :applaud:

'One: you missed her point and didn't answer her post."

Did I have a direct question?
No it was implied, that's why I said answer her post and not her question.
"Two: I think we all wish you would use your own words"

My own words? Did you take time to read the link I posted?

I'm amazed at how the subject of the conversation is always so easily
diverted.

My own words by the way :applaud:
Of course I read the link, it had nothing to do with her post.

Religious-Freedoms-Graphic.png

This is from Iron's post above. This picture says a little more about the situation than these "articles" he's posting. To me this says that religious persecution is a problem all around, so why the focus on Christians? This also tells me that the majority of the abuse comes from the people moreso than the governments. But it doesn't really bother with talking about the religious groups persecuting groups of people based on their sexuality, race, or anything non-related to religious association.

So let's not play martyr, let's get upset about persecution in general, let's get upset by the persecution that's happening in our own backyards, our own churches, our own countries. Where are those articles?

I agree. This is anecdotal but I don't personally know that many Christians who are hated on or made fun of in America (unless you count some rude atheist saying "GOD'S NOT REAL" which equally offends all religions). I do however know a ton of muslims and jews who have had nasty remark after nasty remark, physical attacks, death threats, etc, all because of their religion. Fox News is the most watched news station in the country and it is extremely islamophobic.

The problem isn't who is victimized the most. It's that people are being victimized while everyone else just shoves their hands in their ears screaming LALALALA.

(unless you count some rude atheist saying "GOD'S NOT REAL" which equally offends all religions). I

An atheist isn't allowed to express his or her opinion without being considered rude? C'mon. How is that any more rude than a religious person telling an atheist that there is a god? Atheists are constantly bombarded with religious phrases and slogans all day long.
Besides, if you're religious, you're effectively saying that everyone else's god doesn't exist anyway. the double standard is so blatant

And states in your country still actively discriminate against atheists. Let's not pretend that religious people are so hard done by

Arkansas:

"No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court."[79]

Maryland:

"That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God; nor shall the Legislature prescribe any other oath of office than the oath prescribed by this Constitution.”[80]

Mississippi:

"No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state."[81]

North Carolina:

"The following persons shall be disqualified for office: First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God."[82]

South Carolina:

"No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution."[83]

Tennessee:

"No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state."[84]

Texas:

"No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being."[85]

And states in your country still actively discriminate against atheists. Let's not pretend that religious people are so hard done by

Arkansas:

"No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court."[79]

Maryland:

"That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God; nor shall the Legislature prescribe any other oath of office than the oath prescribed by this Constitution.”[80]

Mississippi:

"No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state."[81]

North Carolina:

"The following persons shall be disqualified for office: First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God."[82]

South Carolina:

"No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution."[83]

Tennessee:

"No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state."[84]

Texas:

"No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being."[85]

Wow... that is shocking.

An atheist isn't allowed to express his or her opinion without being considered rude? C'mon. How is that any more rude than a religious person telling an atheist that there is a god? Atheists are constantly bombarded with religious phrases and slogans all day long.
Besides, if you're religious, you're effectively saying that everyone else's god doesn't exist anyway. the double standard is so blatant

Exactly. If I am being told I am an amoral being because no higher figure (which is perfectly imaginary, as no one has ever seen it) is guiding me, I should respect their deep belief, but when I claim I don't believe in a God it's being rude.

Not to speak of the many people who cannot even differentiate between an atheist and an agnostic.

That there are also atheists who take a rather questionable approach in advancing their point is out of the question, but this goes for every religion just as well.

I don't believe this is any more true than respecting other people's political leanings.

I have to agree with this. The most you can really do is accept that people are going to believe what they want to believe, because they're not going to give their beliefs up because you disagree with them.

Hypothetically, what if the person believed in white supremacism/fascism?

Back
Top Bottom