Study:Christians Under Threat Around the World - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:00 AM
Even if hostility and mistreatment of Christians exist in only certain parts of the world, it is still worth taking note of - especially since its been reported for quite a while now.

Here's a PBS story on this: Facing Uncertainty, Middle Eastern Christians Are Increasingly Emigrating | PBS NewsHour | Sept. 17, 2012 | PBS

Quote:
The numbers certainly are not positive. Christians today make up about 5 percent of the entire Middle Eastern population. That's down from about 20 percent a century ago.
According to some estimates, the total population of Christians in the Middle East, roughly 12 million, could be cut in half over the next eight years.
In Egypt, the country with the largest number of Christians in the Middle East, an estimated 93,000 Copts left in 2011 alone, as Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak fell from power and members of their community were attacked. Some Copts don't have much hope for the future.
The reason why I find this to be sad is because the majority of these Mideast Christian families have been in the region for centuries, long before Islam came along. And now they're being driven out from their homelands. Very sad.

I'm just pointing all this out because even though this thread was started by someone that isn't viewed favorably here (not that I'm complaining), it still is a worthy topic.

Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post

"The study warns that Christians suffer greater hostility across the world than any other religious group."

The first sentence in the article.
The article is pretty poorly written, they make some rather large leaps of reasoning.

Now I'm not diminishing the seriousness of religious oppression, it's very real, but you and this article are being a little disingenuous with your wording.

For example:

"It cites estimates that 200 million Christians, or 10 per cent of Christians worldwide, are “socially disadvantaged, harassed or actively oppressed for their beliefs.”"

Now how do they define "socially disadvantaged"?

The article also says this is occurring mostly in Islam majority countries, so "across the world" seems a little extreme to me.

BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #23
The Male

Local Time: 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
I'm just pointing all this out because even though this thread was started by someone that isn't viewed favorably here (not that I'm complaining), it still is a worthy topic.
He really needs to change the thread title to something that reflects the content of the thread. Because yeah, this is a perfectly reasonable topic of discussion.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
Even if hostility and mistreatment of Christians exist in only certain parts of the world, it is still worth taking note of - especially since its been reported for quite a while now.

Here's a PBS story on this: Facing Uncertainty, Middle Eastern Christians Are Increasingly Emigrating | PBS NewsHour | Sept. 17, 2012 | PBS

The reason why I find this to be sad is because the majority of these Mideast Christian families have been in the region for centuries, long before Islam came along. And now they're being driven out from their homelands. Very sad.

The thing Western media isn't mentioning when they are writing about it is that this kind of oppression and violence in most cases is not targeted at Christians exclusively, but at people of other religions and very often also people of other ethnicities in general. Nigeria, which also isn't a country of the middle-east, is a little different, but there only 1.4% belong to a religion other than Christianity or Islam.
The way it is reported glosses over the fact that Christians are not an especially persecuted group of people. And it ignores the underlying fundamentals of the conflicts, which are more based on a religious as well as ethnic intolerance of anyone who is different.
Vincent Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Christianity arguably the most persecuted religion in the world - thestar.com
the iron horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:22 AM   #26
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Arguably.
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:00 PM
Repeating a lazy argument doesn't make it more valid.
Vincent Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:00 AM
Even if this is true, shouldn't we Christians expect as much? Jesus made it clear we were to expect persecution.

We're so un-persecuted these days that the teacher doesn't say prayer at the front of the public school classroom we act is we're all about to be thrown to the lions.

Western Christians have gotten really soft.

That said, I know that persecution of Christians in other countries is very real. However, I think it's already been pointed out that persecution of all kinds of minority groups is rampant in many parts of the world.
maycocksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:42 AM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post

Western Christians have gotten really soft.
^THIS I think the "christian" right in this country are constantly looking for persecution. They long to play the victims. Iron does it, the majority of the religious right wing party does it, and all the Jerry Falwell types do it. They honestly have no clue what persecution and oppression really is, and they have no idea of the oppression they actually themselves conduct.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:41 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:00 PM
They do it because their conception is of a Christian polity. In a way it's quite a medieval outlook. Nevermind the fact that I'd imagine the USA in 2012 (13?) is by some majority Christian in orientation. It's not 100%.
Kieran McConville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:45 AM   #31
Blue Crack Distributor

After years of reading his posts on here, I just wish that the original poster would admit that being christian right and libertarian are two distinctly opposite things, and would choose a side. Can't have it both ways - sorry. I think that's the major reason I cannot take any of his posts seriously. I'd welcome the opportunity for him to prove me wrong, though.
VintagePunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:51 AM   #32
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

yeah, christianity is still the dominant religion in america. more people than ever are identifying themselves as atheist or not religious, but we're still a christian country. it sucks because though i'm a christian, i hate how some let it rule everything. it isn't the be-all and end-all of everything, especially for those who aren't christian.

and i completely agree with what bvs said about the christian right and persecution. that's exactly how they operate. i get so tired of this victim act when they don't even realise how easy they have it. they have the white house by the balls for some dumb reason (e.g. tell me again why exactly churches don't pay taxes?), yet all these guys act like they're being persecuted by the big bad media, government, whoever they want to play victim for today. so tired of it.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
and i completely agree with what bvs said about the christian right and persecution. that's exactly how they operate. i get so tired of this victim act when they don't even realise how easy they have it. they have the white house by the balls for some dumb reason (e.g. tell me again why exactly churches don't pay taxes?).

All religions and religious organizations are taxed excempt in the
United States.

Tax Information for Churches and Religious Organizations
Old 01-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #34
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
United States.

i umm...wow. okay. i hope you're joking.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

United States.

Which is why they should stop behaving like PACs.

Thank goodness their power has been on the wane since 2003 and we all realize that the Bush presidency was the worst thing that's happened to this country in all of our lifetimes.
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

The Silent Story of Christian Persecution
Old 01-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #37
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

This is from Iron's post above. This picture says a little more about the situation than these "articles" he's posting. To me this says that religious persecution is a problem all around, so why the focus on Christians? This also tells me that the majority of the abuse comes from the people moreso than the governments. But it doesn't really bother with talking about the religious groups persecuting groups of people based on their sexuality, race, or anything non-related to religious association.

So let's not play martyr, let's get upset about persecution in general, let's get upset by the persecution that's happening in our own backyards, our own churches, our own countries. Where are those articles?
Old 01-08-2013, 01:52 AM   #38
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
and i completely agree with what bvs said about the christian right and persecution. that's exactly how they operate. i get so tired of this victim act when they don't even realise how easy they have it. they have the white house by the balls for some dumb reason (e.g. tell me again why exactly churches don't pay taxes?), yet all these guys act like they're being persecuted by the big bad media, government, whoever they want to play victim for today. so tired of it.
I have always asked myself whether persecuted Christians, or any other religious group that has been persecuted throughout history, would prefer religious freedom instead of financial freedom in the long run. Many of their so-called victim acts mainly protect their beliefs, traditions and overall culture, but they also protect their own economic interests, which brings the analysis of the negative correlation existent between religion and wealth.
Dfit00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #39
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfit00 View Post
Many of their so-called victim acts mainly protect their beliefs, traditions and overall culture, but they also protect their own economic interests, which brings the analysis of the negative correlation existent between religion and wealth.
I'd ask for you to elaborate, but we all know your history...
Old 01-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:00 PM
Isn't anyone (not just Christians) who doesn't support "militant Islam", a threat to "militant Islam"? They are radical and irrational bigots. Fundies. If Christians have been targeted by militant Islamic groups in the Middle East, than once the Christians have been wiped out, atheists, Baha'is and the rest will be next.

intedomine is offline   Reply With Quote