Student suspended and expelled for eyebrow trimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Meh. Sounds like she probably is lacking in common sense. I don't think a high school suspension is going to ruin her future career, lol. She made a mistake, no big deal.

Yeah, bringing the blade to school. I don't think it's that big of a deal, that she had it or that the policy was enforced. No one is saying she intended to use it as a weapon.

She made the mistake? lol

There are policies set forth, and she didn't follow, so that would be a mistake. Now you can argue if the rule is needed or not but you can't argue she didn't make a mistake.

Wearing a skirt that is too short is against school policy, so if she wore one that would have been a mistake as well, now you might think the dress code is too strict and you could argue the rule, but you can't argue that she didn't make a mistake.

She should absolutely be punished! I can't tell you how many times growing up, as one of the smallest girls in my school & one of the most unwaxed, I was cornered in locker rooms, rest rooms - heck, even a vacant lecture room once - and unwillingly groomed by packs of much larger & more manicured girls until my eyebrows were beautiful, tapered works of art. It was a GD travesty & no other child should have to endure it!!!

:rolleyes: :slant:

Seriously, if the thing was so damn dangerous, then the tool in the accompanying picture, holding the trimmer instrument of death by its blade should be involuntarily committed & placed under immediate 24-hr suicide watch.

Dear Lord, why do you make us so amazing wonderful and yet achingly stupid??? :banghead:

I think some of you are focusing too much on the "blade" "dangerous" part. It's an item that was allowed at school. This is high school, there are a lot of silly things not allowed... When I was in high school they banned those huge cans of Aqua Net, because girls would just whip them out anywhere and start spraying without warning and kids were choking, so girls were only allowed smaller bottles for after gym.

Also, like so many other news stories, we don't know the whole story. We don't know if this is a kid that was already causing problems, if she was taking this out and grooming herself in class(seriously who needs one of these at school), we just don't know...

Also, like so many other news stories, we don't know the whole story. We don't know if this is a kid that was already causing problems, if she was taking this out and grooming herself in class(seriously who needs one of these at school), we just don't know...

Pretty much every female in the history of the world ever has carried cosmetics/personal grooming tools in her bag. The girl may have put it in there and forgotten about it till it was found at school. It's very clear that this is not a straight razor, it's one of those ones with wires over the cutting blade so that it can't inadvertently cut flesh. Yes, rules are necessary, but there also needs to be common sense used when applying those rules.

Pretty much every female in the history of the world ever has carried cosmetics/personal grooming tools in her bag. The girl may have put it in there and forgotten about it till it was found at school. It's very clear that this is not a straight razor, it's one of those ones with wires over the cutting blade so that it can't inadvertently cut flesh. Yes, rules are necessary, but there also needs to be common sense used when applying those rules.

I understand that. But fixing your hair or putting on makeup is a little different than removing hair in public. I think she would have had to take it out and use for anyone to know she had it...

You're absolutely right, BVS - there are plenty of facts that weren't addressed by the article & I certainly understand a rule is a rule, even if you personally think it's a stupid rule. I just think that the 'zero tolerance' rule is too often used an excuse to not make a stand & say, 'Hey - does anyone really believe their children were in danger because a classmate had some eyebrow trimmers on campus? No? Then, let's declare this incident was not a rule infraction & send little 'Suzy' on her way.'

That'll never happen though, because there's always someone who wants to play "But What If?", by which you can come up with thousands of ways that anything could be turned into a weapon. :doh:

Like Hyper said, you wonder why they're still allowed to carry pencils. :huh:

Could you bring that exact eyebrow trimmer onto an airplane?

Doesn't the article say it was taken from her purse by the security guard? Maybe they can legally look through purses.

You're absolutely right, BVS - there are plenty of facts that weren't addressed by the article & I certainly understand a rule is a rule, even if you personally think it's a stupid rule. I just think that the 'zero tolerance' rule is too often used an excuse to not make a stand & say, 'Hey - does anyone really believe their children were in danger because a classmate had some eyebrow trimmers on campus? No? Then, let's declare this incident was not a rule infraction & send little 'Suzy' on her way.'

That'll never happen though, because there's always someone who wants to play "But What If?", by which you can come up with thousands of ways that anything could be turned into a weapon. :doh:

I don't think it's so much the "what if" but that opens the door for kids to justify this or that or make excuses about needing this or that b/c she got away with it.

It doesn't seem like anyone's trying to say her thing is a weapon, but a zero tolerance policy is a zero tolerance policy. Like airports. Last week my uncle gave my dad some pants and told him they'd already been dry-cleaned, so my dad folded them and put them in his carry on, only to be stopped by TSA insisting there was a knife in his bag. Turns out my uncle had left a pocket knife in the pants and it had gone through the dry-cleaners, but is it even worth trying to explain to airport security? He let them search his bags, forfeited the knife and it's no big deal.

You're absolutely right, BVS - there are plenty of facts that weren't addressed by the article & I certainly understand a rule is a rule, even if you personally think it's a stupid rule.

There are two videos, the second one said she was suspended for the rest of the semester and part of next year. That does seem a bit much.

I have friends that serve on our local school board. There are policies that are not open to be changed, the zero tolerance. Sometimes they look at those poicies, that tend to err on the side of cautuion.

I don't know why she would need to shave her eyebrows during school.

I understand that. But fixing your hair or putting on makeup is a little different than removing hair in public. I think she would have had to take it out and use for anyone to know she had it...

The way the article was worded made me think that maybe a metal detector found it or something. I went back and checked, and it said:

The instrument was taken from Taylor's purse at school by security guards. She told them it was harmless but they called it a weapon.

It doesn't state that definitively, so that would be my guess, either that or a random search.

I don't know. This makes about as much sense to me as suspending someone with an eyelash curler because they could pinch someone with it. Plus, as Mrs. S said, purses become catch-alls for all sorts of things. Just because a female has a personal grooming item in there doesn't mean she was intending on using it in public.

LOL once I found a steak knife in my purse, I'd grabbed it on the way to a dog show and needed it to cut up treat rewards, ended up carrying it around for a week.

Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure that I have a box cutter in mine. :lol: I bought it to cut some duct tape, and threw it in there and forgot about it.

just something the article didnt mention. this school is kind of notorious in the area for "stuff happening". kids have brought guns there before and all that, lots of fights, etc etc. Penn Hills, like everywhere else has it's nice parts and not so nice parts, so i think you can get the picture.

Can't be too careful I guess.

DH teaches fifth grade and saw a student (I think in a younger grade) expelled for threatening to go home and get a gun. A few years ago in this neighborhood, a kid shot another kid over $14.

That story does not add up.

A loaded 9 mm is pretty heavy and not small. A bit hard to believe she did not know it was there.

This would be a good way for an older male to get a gun inside the school without carrying it in himself.

Back
Top Bottom