Stay Classy Christians

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
CINCINNATI -- In the wake of multiple, significant threats, the downtown billboard that says “Don’t Believe In God? You are not alone” came down early Thursday morning.

The billboard had gone up Tuesday afternoon at Reading Road and 12th Street, one block south of Liberty Street and it is being moved to a new site Thursday at the Sixth Street Viaduct.

The group that funded the billboard, the United Coalition of Reason, was contacted by Lamar Advertising of Cincinnati. Lamar reported that the landowner of the site had been threatened over the billboard's message and wanted it taken down.

"We weren't given the landowner's identity or precise details," reported Fred Edwords, national director of the United Coalition of Reason. "Nor did we pursue them. It was sufficient to learn that multiple, significant threats had been received and that Lamar would act quickly to alleviate the problem. Lamar was most apologetic to us regarding the situation. It was a development they hadn't expected. Nor had we. Nothing like this has ever happened to us before."

"Everything that has happened shows just how vital our message is," said Shawn Jeffers, co-coordinator for the Cincinnati Coalition of Reason. "It proves our point, that bigotry against people who don't believe in a god is still very real in America. Only when we atheists, agnostics and humanists come together and go public about our views will people have a chance to learn that we too are part of the community and deserve respect."

The new location on the 6th Street Expressway, U.S. Highway 50, is owned by Lamar and therefore isn't subject to landowner restrictions. The billboard will face east, visible on the left to traffic traveling west out of the city across the viaduct toward the suburbs of Delhi and Price Hill.

"The sign is saying there are godless people in Cincinnati. We are your friends, neighbors, we might be your policemen, firemen, postmen, whatever and we want to take our place at the table and have our say," said John Welte with the Cincinnati Coalition of Reason.

Lamar Advertising's general manager tells 9News the owner of the property received threats and asked for its removal.

"Apparently they were vicious threats of some kind. I don't know the exact nature of the threats but yes," said Welte.

The billboard was moved to a location now viewed by drivers heading west on the Sixth Street viaduct. Some say they find it offensive.

"My thoughts? I think the sign needs to come down. Its atheist. Its going to cause problems around all the churches, not just catholic, but lutheran, baptist, all of them," said Jack Jones of Downtown.

The billboard campaign began in Philadelphia last April. Its also featured in Cleveland and Columbus. The group says this is the first time one has had to be relocated.

"We are dealing with it the best way we can. We are not going away so talk to us," said Welte.
Godless Billboard Moved After Threats - Cincinnati breaking news, weather radar, traffic from 9News | Channel 9 WCPO.com

It seems that these billboards just can't get any fair play, even in Melbourne the government licenced advertising companies blocked them.

Why does the thread title blame Christians for the billboard taken down? No where in the article is it mentioned that Christians ordered the sign to be taken down. All that is mentioned is some guy who gave his opinion, but had nothing to do with the sign's removal. Cincinnati, Cleveland and Columbus, I understand, have large Muslim populations. Therefore, it could've been anybody.

I'm not a big fan of billboards. While I do appreciate the free market - I don't like the idea of forcing images and words on someone. Magazines, web sites, television - these are mediums which are easily put down, closed, or powered off. Advertisers can target their audience, and the citizens aren't forced to see images or read messages on monstrous billboards (that destroy the skyline) that they find appalling, offensive, or in bad taste. Sure, I suppose you can just "look away" - but that honestly put too much of an unnecessary burden on the citizen as some of these signs are so enormous they take up half the visibility on the side of the road.

Magazines, web sites, television - these are mediums which are easily put down, closed, or powered off.

Thats easy to say, but think about it practically for a second. Put these things down and how are you supposed to know whats going on beyond your own daily life? Its impossible to avoid advertising. Billboards are just a small slice of what you're bombarded with everyday. I dont find them all that particularly offensive myself. Except for the shitty ones containing unclever, unoriginal ads, but thats a different topic all together

Back
Top Bottom