Springsteen: Bush admin ruined lives and operated as an extremist cabal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. The article got the name of the new album wrong.

2. He's not a folk singer.

3. His political views are nothing new; he's been saying this for years.

4. I've heard plenty of Democrats saying the same thing for years.

4. I've heard plenty of Democrats saying the same thing for years.

Well, sure, ordinary Democrat voters have been saying it, but senior mainstream Democrat politicians? Very few. Kucinch and Dean, that's about it. And that's including Kucinch as a mainstream Democrat, which he isn't really.

My Dimocrats reference is intended to mean mainstream DLC politicians. I am not referring to the average Democratic voter.

I just dislike the implication that Springsteen is a folk singer. He's a rock musician who has occasionally done some folk music. That is all.

I just dislike the implication that Springsteen is a folk singer. He's a rock musician who has occasionally done some folk music. That is all.

And at the same time, I think Pete Seeger singing with him today was a form of passing of the torch.

We'll see where Bruce's career takes him over the next 3 or 4 decades. Can't wait. :hyper:

pfan says "folk singer" like it's a dirty word! I think folk singers can rock out, too. I think Bruce is both.

another wingnut nobody's ever heard of, oh and an obligatory cute-animal avatar to add to the cognitive dissonance.

good times.

(CNN) -- A legacy of President George W. Bush will be that he saved 10 million lives around the world.

His critics ignore it, but name another president about whom one can say that with such certainty. It is what historians will say a decade from now looking back. Not bad for a president who leaves office with the lowest approval rating in recent memory.

The bottom line is: George Bush is a healer.

First, a surprise proclamation came on January 29, 2003.

I was in the first row in the House chamber when three quarters through his State of the Union address, the president boldly said: "I ask the Congress to commit $15 billion over the next five years ... to turn the tide against AIDS in the most afflicted nations of Africa and the Caribbean" and "lead the world in sparing innocent people from a plague of nature."

And lead the world we did. No president in history had made such a commitment against a single disease. Those words and the action that followed meant that instead of another 30 million people dying from HIV infections, maybe just another 20 million will.

Later that night in an interview for CNN in my Capitol office, I predicted that five years later, this commitment to fight HIV would be the single most significant thing the president said that night. It was.

But even I -- who as physician in Africa had witnessed how this virus was hollowing out societies -- did not predict the huge global impact this Bush commitment would have on generations to come.

In my annual medical mission trips to Africa during the Bush administration, I saw the cost of treatment for HIV with life-saving antiretrovirals (ARVs) drop from $4,000 a year to $125. The number of Africans on ARVs jumped from 50,000 to 2.1 million.

And the multiplier effect of Bush making this a presidential global priority was reflected thereafter in every meeting I had as Senate majority leader with the world leaders, including those from Russia, China and India. If you were dealing with the United States, you'd better have made HIV a national priority, because we had.

Commentary: Bush saved 10 million lives - CNN.com

another wingnut nobody's ever heard of, oh and an obligatory cute-animal avatar to add to the cognitive dissonance.

good times.

haha Im a wingnut? All Im saying is I'm suprised someone like bruce springsteen actually knows what an extremist is.. :wink: Sorry that Im a conservative republican with a set of morals. I don't want the government controlling every aspect of my life, and I dont like when mothers kill their children. Respect my beliefs or don't.

"The philosophy that was at the base of the last [Bush] administration has ruined many, many people's lives. The deregulation, the idea of the unfettered free market, the blind foreign policy."

I always laugh when well-off as hell artist talk about deregulation, boosting taxes rates...etc. In fact, the idea of a free market is what most of countries really need. Look at the issue of Fanny Mae and the pressure American government took on the financial institutions to grant credits to everyone who wanted them. Was that a free market? :lol: Mr. Springsteen should educate himself at least a bit.

haha Im a wingnut? All Im saying is I'm suprised someone like bruce springsteen actually knows what an extremist is.. :wink: Sorry that Im a conservative republican with a set of morals. I don't want the government controlling every aspect of my life, and I dont like when mothers kill their children. Respect my beliefs or don't.

Well I don't. So that's that out of the way.

You're a conservative Republican with morals, meaning what? That your opponents don't have morals?

You don't like when mothers kill their children... which has what to do with the other discussion in this thread? And you ask why I used the word wingnut.

You don't want the government controlling every aspect of your life? WHAT THE FUCK HAS THAT GOT TO DO WITH ANYTHING???

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS? RIGHTWING TALKING POINT BINGO!?

Some dems have morals, a lot don't. A lot want more government contol. I guess Im stereotyping a little. However I won't resort to yelling swearing and flaming. That my opinion and I guess God will be the judge on us all.

I always laugh when well-off as hell artist talk about deregulation, boosting taxes rates...etc. In fact, the idea of a free market is what most of countries really need. Look at the issue of Fanny Mae and the pressure American government took on the financial institutions to grant credits to everyone who wanted them. Was that a free market? :lol: Mr. Springsteen should educate himself at least a bit.

I think this is a fair point, generally speaking, but I don't think you're being fair to Springsteen specifically.

Indeed.

Pay particular attention to the honorable representatives Waters and Frank in this clip, in destroying a federal housing regulator. It's really an outrage:

YouTube - Democrats Fighting Regulation of Freddie & Fannie

Back
Top Bottom