SPLIT--> Women in the Military - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #121
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,600
Local Time: 02:47 PM
In Israel women are also required to serve along with young men. ( the orthodox religions exemption is another story)

In the US all young men are required to sign up for the selected services

Quote:
Male U.S. citizens, and male aliens living in the U.S., who are 18 through 25, are required to register with Selective Service. It's important to know that even though he is registered, a man will not automatically be inducted into the military. In a crisis requiring a draft, men would be called in sequence determined by random lottery number and year of birth. Then, they would be examined for mental, physical and moral fitness by the military before being deferred or exempted from military service or inducted into the Armed Forces.
http://www.sss.gov/fswho.htm
in a non-sexist society, should women also be required to register?



Pearl, Moonlit would you want to have been required to sign up when you turned 18 and possibly have been drafted?
__________________

deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #122
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,741
Local Time: 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post

in a non-sexist society, should women also be required to register?



Pearl, Moonlit would you want to have been required to sign up when you turned 18 and possibly have been drafted?
I don't see why I should be against being drafted just because I am a woman. It's not like once women can be drafted I would suddenly get all fragile and helpless and refuse to fight. I think other women will agree.
__________________

Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #123
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,600
Local Time: 02:47 PM
I don't really have any strong opinions on this

but for people that do, these are the questions that can come up.
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #124
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,741
Local Time: 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I don't really have any strong opinions on this

but for people that do, these are the questions that can come up.
True, and I will say the same thing to them.

And if they say women don't have the stomach for war, they should do some historical research because there have been some ancient societies that allowed women to be warriors. The ancient Celts come to mind.
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #125
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:47 PM
I would argue that on average men are much more physically capable than women, thus a 'non sexist' draft would result in an overall less capable service. It's completely hypothetical, but I would agree with women being exempt from a draft
(Or perhaps the selection requirements would naturally weed them out, leading to an inequity in numbers anyway)
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #126
War Child
 
Caleb8844's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 662
Local Time: 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I would argue that on average men are much more physically capable than women, thus a 'non sexist' draft would result in an overall less capable service. It's completely hypothetical, but I would agree with women being exempt from a draft
(Or perhaps the selection requirements would naturally weed them out, leading to an inequity in numbers anyway)
A year ago, I had to write a paper on the topic, and I ended up using nearly this exact argument.
Caleb8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #127
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,228
Local Time: 04:47 PM
I think you could probably argue that a draft in general produces a less capable military.
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #128
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:47 PM
No argument there. I'm just saying an 'equal opportunity' draft would compound that problem
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #129
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
A year ago, I had to write a paper on the topic, and I ended up using nearly this exact argument.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #130
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 06:47 PM
I was always happy when I was of draftable age that the possibility of being forced to fight in a war (or police action or anything the powers that be don't want to call war but really is) was not something I ever had to think about. I would have made a horrible soldier anyway....
indra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #131
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,600
Local Time: 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
A year ago, I had to write a paper on the topic, and I ended up using nearly this exact argument.
I hope you included FYM in your research sources.
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #132
War Child
 
Caleb8844's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 662
Local Time: 05:47 PM
Cited the shit out of this place.
Caleb8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #133
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,741
Local Time: 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
Cited the shit out of this place.



Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #134
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,569
Local Time: 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Pearl, Moonlit would you want to have been required to sign up when you turned 18 and possibly have been drafted?
I actually already answered that in my last post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
But while I fully support women who want to be on the fighting lines having the right and opportunity to do so, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be to be part of that, by force or by choice, for a whole host of reasons.
Like indra, I think I would've made a crap soldier and I probably wouldn't even wind up being recruited anyway because I doubt I'd pass all the physical training and such as it is. I'm glad there's no draft and I don't have to worry about such a potential situation. I have no desire to find myself in a war zone.

But I just think it's kind of strange that, if our government is asking the country at large to stand up and defend itself and make a sacrifice and all that jazz, that it would then turn around and deny certain people a spot simply because they're a woman, or they're gay (or, in the old days, they were black), or whatever.
Moonlit_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #135
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,346
Local Time: 06:47 PM
I know personally about a dozen female Marines in my company. and none of them think this is a good thing. I value their opinion more than some feminist congresswoman. That being said, Im not against overturning the ban per say, I think that there were many jobs like artillery and armor that they are more than capable of performing, but anything infantry related is out of the question. I have yet to meet a single female that would be able to do what it is the infantry does. Mainly hiking for dozens of miles with a hundred pounds on your back. The female Marines I know have really bad hip problems because of it. Our last battalion hike, which was 15 km, nearly all the females fell out before halfway through. The Marine Corps had two female volunteers go through the infantry officer training course. both were dropped for medical reasons.

That's the only reason why they haven't been allowed in the infantry.

And if they're gonna start letting them in, they sure as fuck better have to meet the same requirements as men. Because I have to be able to do 10 pullups while women only have to do 3. (in the Marines) And none of the female marines I know can do 10 pullups.

I just don't want to see standards lowered. And I fear that they will be in the name of "equality,"
The_Pac_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #136
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post

I just don't want to see standards lowered. And I fear that they will be in the name of "equality,"
Well I think that's more than reasonable. For what it's worth, when the Canadian military lifted the ban, all standards remained the same. As such, the numbers of female infantry is still very low, but the ones they do have are just as capable as the men
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #137
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,228
Local Time: 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
I know personally about a dozen female Marines in my company. and none of them think this is a good thing. I value their opinion more than some feminist congresswoman.
And what are these female's reasons for thinking it's not a good thing?

Do you really think there are going to be 1000s of unable females lining up just because some feminist congresswomen had an opinion? Think before you type man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
but anything infantry related is out of the question. I have yet to meet a single female that would be able to do what it is the infantry does. Mainly hiking for dozens of miles with a hundred pounds on your back.
So because you haven't met one, they don't exist? I've never met Icelander, are they real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
That's the only reason why they haven't been allowed in the infantry.
Not exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
And if they're gonna start letting them in, they sure as fuck better have to meet the same requirements as men.
Now, this I agree on, and I know many won't but I think you're right there has to be one standard for all soldiers.
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #138
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,346
Local Time: 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
And what are these female's reasons for thinking it's not a good thing?
I pretty much outlined what they said. the physical problems encountered. hip problems and infertility and serious problems in female Marines, even those that meet the standards. My friend is getting medically seperated because her hips are majorally fucked up.
The_Pac_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #139
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,741
Local Time: 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
I know personally about a dozen female Marines in my company. and none of them think this is a good thing. I value their opinion more than some feminist congresswoman. That being said, Im not against overturning the ban per say, I think that there were many jobs like artillery and armor that they are more than capable of performing, but anything infantry related is out of the question. I have yet to meet a single female that would be able to do what it is the infantry does. Mainly hiking for dozens of miles with a hundred pounds on your back. The female Marines I know have really bad hip problems because of it. Our last battalion hike, which was 15 km, nearly all the females fell out before halfway through. The Marine Corps had two female volunteers go through the infantry officer training course. both were dropped for medical reasons.

That's the only reason why they haven't been allowed in the infantry.

And if they're gonna start letting them in, they sure as fuck better have to meet the same requirements as men. Because I have to be able to do 10 pullups while women only have to do 3. (in the Marines) And none of the female marines I know can do 10 pullups.

I just don't want to see standards lowered. And I fear that they will be in the name of "equality,"
I see your point, and I'm not refusing to admit that men are physically stronger than women. That's a biological fact no matter what.

I just think there should be more opportunities for women in the military. Also, I tend to think fighting wars these days is more about throwing bombs and operating drones, so that's my bad.

I have to admit I wonder what would happen if a woman has to be stationed in the woods somewhere for weeks at a time. Does the military still have soldiers stationed in a forest or jungle? I think they did that during Vietnam? Anyway, women do have different scents than men and she could be easily found and captured.

My dad was a major in the Reserves and he's adamantly against women being in the military altogether. He never wanted me or my sisters to go in because he thought it was no place for a woman. Then again, he has very sexist beliefs, so that's why I shrug off his opinions.

Also, I think female soldiers should be required to shave their heads like the men. Isn't that done to prevent lice? Yeah, I know being bald is considered unfeminine and even gross by some, but its only fair.
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #140
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,346
Local Time: 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Not exactly...
you're right. I meant to say that was MY only reason. I find the whole sex/cohesion/protective instinct arguments complete bullshit and somewhat offensive to myself and other males.
__________________

The_Pac_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
it's Sotomayor Irvine511 Free Your Mind 177 09-02-2009 10:45 PM
in case you thought Patraeus was apolitical ... Irvine511 Free Your Mind Archive 353 09-21-2007 05:17 PM
well, I guess I'm a postmodern feminist blueyedpoet Free Your Mind Archive 14 12-22-2006 12:14 AM
Weird U2 Stuff Echo Has Gathered Echo PLEBA Archive 11 12-11-2001 10:00 PM
Looking for a Muslim point of view on this war. Mirrorball Man Free Your Mind Archive 31 10-31-2001 01:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×