SPLIT--> Women in the Military - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 27,432
Local Time: 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
Actually, quite a bit. Please look up the training US Army Ranger School.
Thanks but no thanks-because I don't need to read that to know instinctively what women in the military are capable of. We all bleed the same blood and if your life is on the line please tell me you would give one ounce of thought as to whether or not a woman who was saving it could perform in the US Army Ranger School every bit as well as you can (if you would well I have serious questions about that and why). I'm the daughter of an Army Purple Heart recipient, so I think I know a thing or two about the Army too.

When you're in the Army for this country, you're in in for the defense of all citizens equally-male and female. And if you're working for defense of the United States and what it is supposed to stand for, certainly you (the general you and you in particular) can live and shower and whatever else with females 24 7 and still function normally and professionally. I think in the bigger picture, it's a small thing to ask for from those who defend liberty and justice for all.
__________________

MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 27,432
Local Time: 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
posts yes.
however in real life <> wins thru the charm offensive.
Offensive being the operative word?

Please stop calling yourself <>. it weirds me out

Who are you now, Prince?
__________________

MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,228
Local Time: 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
however in real life <> wins
Well, I've heard stories to the contrary...
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 03:31 PM
stories, only stories..

<>
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
...please tell me you would give one ounce of thought as to whether or not a woman who was saving it could perform in the US Army Ranger School....
If a woman was shooting a pisto at a criminal, you are right. If I were putting together a mission in the mountains of Afghanistan, it would make ALL the difference.
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #26
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,228
Local Time: 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
If a woman was shooting a pisto at a criminal, you are right. If I were putting together a mission in the mountains of Afghanistan, it would make ALL the difference.
Why? Apparently it's just a bunch of boys that can't help but get turned on by eating with a female... I'd prefer women running the mission if you ask me. The boys might stumble upon enemy women eating and will be too turned on to fight.
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,732
Local Time: 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
I guess you're right. Having a woman eating, sleeping, showering with thirty teenage boys day in and day out wouldn't cause any problems.
Women in the army routinely sleep and shower with 18-19 year old boys? Is this what's going on?

When I read posts like yours, the only real conclusion I can come to is that you seem to believe that men are all sexual deviants or worse, rapists, who simply cannot control themselves when they spend many hours a day with women. We should be fearing you at every step. Given that I work about 80-90 hours a week with almost exclusively men, you might expect that I have made my rounds and slept with most of them at some point or another. They can't control themselves and hey, I'm thinking, what the hell, I have nothing better to do with my time.

I'm not so much offended on behalf of women, but on behalf of men when I read some of your posts about this kind of stuff. And I'm being totally honest.
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Women in the army routinely sleep and shower with 18-19 year old boys? Is this what's going on?

When I read posts like yours, the only real conclusion I can come to is that you seem to believe that men are all sexual deviants or worse, rapists, who simply cannot control themselves when they spend many hours a day with women. We should be fearing you at every step. Given that I work about 80-90 hours a week with almost exclusively men, you might expect that I have made my rounds and slept with most of them at some point or another. They can't control themselves and hey, I'm thinking, what the hell, I have nothing better to do with my time.

I'm not so much offended on behalf of women, but on behalf of men when I read some of your posts about this kind of stuff. And I'm being totally honest.
Why do you think women are currently not allowed in the Combat Arms? Just because in this PC era we still want to keep the woman down? I can just see the men in the Pentagon, sitting around the table with cigars, "We need to be very careful about Muslim backlash after Ft. Hood - however, thank God we still don't let chicks in the Infantry!"

My point is - one would think that in this day of Political Correctness - women should have been allowed in the Infantry years ago. Why do you think this hasn't happened? What are the reasons they give for this policy?
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,934
Local Time: 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Women in the army routinely sleep and shower with 18-19 year old boys? Is this what's going on?

When I read posts like yours, the only real conclusion I can come to is that you seem to believe that men are all sexual deviants or worse, rapists, who simply cannot control themselves when they spend many hours a day with women. We should be fearing you at every step. Given that I work about 80-90 hours a week with almost exclusively men, you might expect that I have made my rounds and slept with most of them at some point or another. They can't control themselves and hey, I'm thinking, what the hell, I have nothing better to do with my time.

I'm not so much offended on behalf of women, but on behalf of men when I read some of your posts about this kind of stuff. And I'm being totally honest.
i just spent a year in class at close quarters with a number of women i got to know very well. i can't believe i didn't rape any of them. i guess this means i'm not cut out for the military.
coolian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,064
Local Time: 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
My point is - one would think that in this day of Political Correctness - women should have been allowed in the Infantry years ago. Why do you think this hasn't happened? What are the reasons they give for this policy?



AEON, could you give me a definition of "Political Correctness"? i'm curious.
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
AEON, could you give me a definition of "Political Correctness"? i'm curious.
wiki sums it up pretty well:
Quote:
Political correctness (adjectivally, politically correct; both forms commonly abbreviated to PC) is a term denoting language, ideas, policies, and behavior seen as seeking to minimize social offense in gender, racial, cultural, sexual orientation, handicap, and age-related contexts
The question remains - with a government filled with leaders intent to "minimize social offense in gender" - why have these same leaders deemed it necessary to keep women from serving in Combat Arms positions?
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:13 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,732
Local Time: 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
My point is - one would think that in this day of Political Correctness - women should have been allowed in the Infantry years ago. Why do you think this hasn't happened? What are the reasons they give for this policy?
I have no idea what their stated reasons for the policy are.
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:43 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I have no idea what their stated reasons for the policy are.
It might help you at least "understand" the other side of the argument, even if you don't agree. Believe it or not, there are plenty of highly educated, highly intelligent people out there that disagree with you. They are not all idiots because they have an opposite view. Your opinion on the issue is not universallly accepted in the manner that something like "Love Thy Neighbor" is.

I understand your position, you think it's unfair. I also agree it's unfair. Where we disagree, in part, is that I also think it's unfair that even though I wasn't born 6'11" with a great vertical that I wasn't drafted by the NBA. But I accept this. Why? Because that particular position is greater than my capabilities (I'm only 6'1" with a so/so vertical and terrible jumpshot). Forcing the NBA to draft me and then play me in games might be "fair" to me, but "unfair" to my teammates that would have to make up for my weak capabilities.

Not everyone is born to be an Infantry soldier. It's just that simple. Carrying a 100 lbs rucksack for 20-30 miles (with another 20 lbs weapon) is still part of the job. Carrying a wounded 200 lbs man for several hundred meters is still part of the job. When these sort of demands are not part of the job, perhaps things can change (regarding this portion of the debate. The social/morale problems would still exist).
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:46 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,732
Local Time: 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
It might help you at least "understand" the other side of the argument, even if you don't agree. Believe it or not, there are plenty of highly educated, highly intelligent people out there that disagree with you. They are not all idiots because they have an opposite view. Your opinion on the issue is not universallly accepted in the manner that something like "Love Thy Neighbor" is.
I honestly don't know what you're on about in your post.

I genuinely told you I didn't know what their stated policy was after you asked me what it was. Kind of confused by what followed on your part.
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:54 PM   #35
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,228
Local Time: 04:31 PM
AEON
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:36 AM   #36
War Child
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Carlisle PA
Posts: 818
Local Time: 05:31 PM
Limiting them to non combat arms roles are the only limitations they should have.
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:24 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
BonosSaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,566
Local Time: 06:31 PM
Would you have any difficulty taking orders from a woman officer (or for that matter, a gay one?). How do you feel about women combat pilots?
BonosSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:27 AM   #38
War Child
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Carlisle PA
Posts: 818
Local Time: 05:31 PM
I take orders from women all the time anyway. Pilots are fine but they are definitely subjected to worse tortures than their male counterparts when shot down and captured.
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
Limiting them to non combat arms roles are the only limitations they should have.
I agree.
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:11 AM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,064
Local Time: 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
I agree.


is this due to physical limitations, or that a female throws off a male/male dynamic?

also, would you say that this applies to the gays as well?
__________________

Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
it's Sotomayor Irvine511 Free Your Mind 177 09-02-2009 10:45 PM
in case you thought Patraeus was apolitical ... Irvine511 Free Your Mind Archive 353 09-21-2007 05:17 PM
well, I guess I'm a postmodern feminist blueyedpoet Free Your Mind Archive 14 12-22-2006 12:14 AM
Weird U2 Stuff Echo Has Gathered Echo PLEBA Archive 11 12-11-2001 10:00 PM
Looking for a Muslim point of view on this war. Mirrorball Man Free Your Mind Archive 31 10-31-2001 01:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×