Soros sees end of US-led globalized market system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
Soros sees end of US-led globalized market system | Markets | Bonds News | Reuters

WASHINGTON, Oct 12 (Reuters) - Billionaire investor George Soros predicted on Sunday that the financial crisis would mean the end of a U.S.-led market system that has dominated the global economy with debt and deregulation since the 1980s.

"Globalization, America as the center of the globalized financial markets, was sucking up the savings of the world," Soros said in a CNN interview.

"This belief became the dominant creed. And this, then, led to the globalization of markets, the deregulation of markets and the increased use of leverage and all the financial engineering," Soros said.

"This whole enormous construct is built on false conceptions," he added. "You can go a very long way. But in the end, reality rears its ugly head and that's what happened now."

"The age of Reaganism is over," Sachs said in a separate CNN interview. "The no-regulation, low-taxes (philosophy) has broken the back of our economy. We now have to get serious about reconstructing normal government that pays its way and a normal financial sector that's properly regulated."

That's really shocking coming in from him. I always thought he loved the US.

That's really shocking coming in from him. I always thought he loved the US.

I assume this is something called irony.

He gave financial support to Kerry's campaign, and disagrees with Reaganomics.

You probably think that means he hates the US, right?

My aunt was an economist in the former Soviet bloc who was funded secretly by Soros for many years before the Berlin Wall came down. He is a remarkable fellow.

I think he has no respect for today's Republicans.

Quite stunning given his staunch anti-communist views.

My aunt was an economist in the former Soviet bloc who was funded secretly by Soros for many years before the Berlin Wall came down. He is a remarkable fellow.

So it's true that Soros funds a lot of campaigns behind the scenes?

I can't speak for what he does now since I have no personal knowledge, but behind the scenes back in the 70s and 80s he pumped tons of money into academics and intellectuals living behind the Iron Curtain.

*This was a pretty poorly kept secret too.

I can't speak for what he does now since I have no personal knowledge, but behind the scenes back in the 70s and 80s he pumped tons of money into academics and intellectuals living behind the Iron Curtain.

*This was a pretty poorly kept secret too.

This can't be right, I have it on good authority he is an American hating communist.

Soros is an a$$hole and he doesn't know anything about Reaganism or leverage. He even pays people to protest. When people get rich they fear envy of others so they go out of their way to push for "social conscious" politics to move the envy somewhere else. He even thinks success of the Jews increases hatred of the them by others. That even proves he's just trying to avoid envy.

Tell me how does regulation from the Community Reinvestment Act (with pushing from ACORN) have to do with conservatives or the idea that more regulation is good? It depends on the kind of regulation not just more of it.

What does Keynesian economics have to do with conservatives in particular when it is practiced by every western democracy? Reagan was a monatarist and had to compete with a democrat majority in Congress. John Keynes is more influential in his death than Ronald Reagan ever was. True conservatives believe in balanced budgets.

Are people so stupid that they don't even know the role of the President vs. Congress? They just blame everything on presidents as a scapegoat. There is a thing called a business cycle and the government has very little to do with it other than they can distort it with interest rates and taxes. If democrats win and don't eliminate the Community Reinvestment Act then they aren't really trying to solve the problem. The only real solution for individuals is to not go into huge debt and save as much as they can in safe investments over the long run. This is what creates jobs and financial independence. The government can't do anything about that other than create tax incentives for savings accounts. We have to do the effort. The big guys in government and business are not going to do it for us.

When people get rich they fear envy of others so they go out of their way to push for "social conscious" politics to move the envy somewhere else.

Your psycho-analytical babble is quite hilarious...

The rest of the post is all over the place and full of misinformation...

Your psycho-analytical babble is quite hilarious...

The rest of the post is all over the place and full of misinformation...

This little vignette, in particular, is dodgy economics:

PurpleOscar said:
The only real solution for individuals is to not go into huge debt and save as much as they can in safe investments over the long run. This is what creates jobs and financial independence.

An individual saver investing in safe investments - though it is sensible for the individual saver - doesn't, by and large, create jobs. In fact, it is businesses investing in capital, and where necessary, borrowing to make those investments, that creates jobs.

An individual saver investing in safe investments - though it is sensible for the individual saver - doesn't, by and large, create jobs. In fact, it is businesses investing in capital, and where necessary, borrowing to make those investments, that creates jobs.

Yeah I've noticed that oscar has used this exact line of logic in other threads. I think he often confuses concepts of personal economics and global economics and blurs the lines between micro and macroeconomics...

No.

When you label every social movement or action as have to being based on guilt you are just plain wrong...

Of course you don't agree. I'm just saying MY point of view is that envy, and guilt is a huge part of the left's political playbook. I think that anybody who denies that will deny anything.

Of course you don't agree. I'm just saying MY point of view is that envy, and guilt is a huge part of the left's political playbook. I think that anybody who denies that will deny anything.

See you state it's only your point of view(which it is), but then try and make it fact when you say "anybody who denies that will deny anything".

If I came out and stated "greed and bigotry are a huge part of the right's political playbook, and anyone who denies that is a liar", I wouldn't be taken very seriously. And honestly, I wouldn't want to be taken seriously if I thought that way...

I think you should really lay off the psychology and the economics for you are no where near an expert of either field.

See you state it's only your point of view(which it is), but then try and make it fact when you say "anybody who denies that will deny anything".

If I came out and stated "greed and bigotry are a huge part of the right's political playbook, and anyone who denies that is a liar", I wouldn't be taken very seriously. And honestly, I wouldn't want to be taken seriously if I thought that way...

I think you should really lay off the psychology and the economics for you are no where near an expert of either field.

Greed and bigotry is not a tactic. The right uses fear of government taking over and 1984 as their playbook. I just happen to agree more strongly to the right and their playbook because I don't think it's too far off the mark.

You mentioning that I'm not an expert could easily apply to most people on this board and there would be no conversation at all. It's nice to note that you think only experts should be listened to. There are many psychological experiments showing that people will listen to experts even if they are way off the mark. At what point should we think for ourselves?

BTW what expertise do you have?

Greed and bigotry is not a tactic. The right uses fear of government taking over and 1984 as their playbook. I just happen to agree more strongly to the right and their playbook because I don't think it's too far off the mark.

You mentioning that I'm not an expert could easily apply to most people on this board and there would be no conversation at all. It's nice to note that you think only experts should be listened to. There are many psychological experiments showing that people will listen to experts even if they are way off the mark. At what point should we think for ourselves?

BTW what expertise do you have?

Ok oscar you really missed my point. First of all, are jealousy and guilt tactics? Playing to people's desire of greed and their bigotries can be a tactic, but let's move on. You do realize I just took your statement and changed a few words, right?

And no, I don't expect anyone to be experts, but have at least some knowledge of the subjects they are speaking about... When I said "you are no where near..." I was just trying to make the point that you try and come off as one, and you aren't even close to sounding like someone who at least has a little knowledge of the subject. You make false statements and you are constantly pretending like you know the inside motivations of people, i.e. "guilt" or "envy".

Why don't you try and just discuss your opinions, and try and make your points without trying to tell people why they think the way they think.

Diemen, I think that BVS should be reprimanded. Use your new moderating powers to teach him a lesson. I mean, there's no place for logic on the Internets!

Shame on you, BVS. :huh:

Ok oscar you really missed my point. First of all, are jealousy and guilt tactics? Playing to people's desire of greed and their bigotries can be a tactic, but let's move on. You do realize I just took your statement and changed a few words, right?

And no, I don't expect anyone to be experts, but have at least some knowledge of the subjects they are speaking about... When I said "you are no where near..." I was just trying to make the point that you try and come off as one, and you aren't even close to sounding like someone who at least has a little knowledge of the subject. You make false statements and you are constantly pretending like you know the inside motivations of people, i.e. "guilt" or "envy".

Why don't you try and just discuss your opinions, and try and make your points without trying to tell people why they think the way they think.

The psychological aspects are an important part of what I talk about because they can't be ignored. I'll get some articles that back up what I'm saying and start threads because people on this board seem to want to read from "experts" and make yea or nea opinions in that format.

But I do believe that emotions have a large effect on people's opinions.

The psychological aspects are an important part of what I talk about because they can't be ignored. I'll get some articles that back up what I'm saying and start threads because people on this board seem to want to read from "experts" and make yea or nea opinions in that format.

But I do believe that emotions have a large effect on people's opinions.

That's all fine and dandy, just don't pretend to know what's going on in my heart or anyone else's for that matter, and definately don't pretend to know the emotional motivations of a whole group which you've done time after time...

This is somewhat relevant, so I'll post it here:-

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide
Oct. 23 (Bloomberg) -- Former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan said a ``once-in-a-century credit tsunami'' has engulfed financial markets and conceded his free-market ideology shunning regulation was flawed.

``Yes, I found a flaw,'' Greenspan said in response to grilling from the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. ``I was shocked because I'd been going for 40 years or more with very considerable evidence that it was working exceptionally well.'' Greenspan added he was ``partially'' wrong for opposing the regulation of derivatives.

Greenspan's contrition came after lawmakers and Fed watchers increasingly blamed the former Fed chairman for helping cause the crisis with lax oversight of the housing boom and derivatives markets. Normally afforded deference by Congress, he endured almost four hours of questions from lawmakers less than two weeks before a national election.

``Greenspan is finally taking some responsibility for his actions,'' said Paul Kasriel, director of economic research at Northern Trust Co. in Chicago and a former Fed official. ``The damage has been done. His reputation has definitely been tarnished.''

file.php

This is somewhat relevant, so I'll post it here:-

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

Yeah but the Democrats are trying to put that as purely a Conservative attitude to push their equally wrong agenda of over regulation and distributionism. I saw this on CBC with Waxman.

Certainly the low interest rates of the past decade and a half is more a symptom of Keynesian points of view than Monetarism. They should have raised interest rates a long time ago to prevent people from getting into too much debt. Instead they made credit very easy which is a Keynesian point of view.

The funny thing is that the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mae fans are looking to benefit in their election despite their roles to play which had a greater effect. If companies are forced to add more bad debt on their portfolios then they will be forced to find a way to bundle them and sell them to unsuspecting investors. In the end Keynesians will still be hired for the job regulation or no.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom