Sopa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've used Megaupload dozens of times and never for pirated content. My training club used it to share photos and videos that we took of each others' dogs during training and competition. It was easier than trying to e-mail 300 photos or a 2GB .mov file to a dozen people.

So what would some smart, doable, effective ways to combat piracy look like? I know a detailed answer could fill a multi-volume encyclopedia, but just a sketch overview.

Will never be able to completely stop it, obviously. And it's also very clear that if studios had most of their content available most of the time to most people in most regions for a reasonable price, then it would drop considerably. It all sounds easy and obvious, but it's not actually an easy thing to pull off (at least not quickly/suddenly). For the studios, it does or will involve a very decent drop in revenue, and in regards to the others in the business of making money off their content - cinema chains, tv networks, pay tv, retailers etc - there are a lot of reasons why it's hard to near impossible to just suddenly switch to, say, universal day and date releases across multiple formats, and to just suddenly switch to having the motherload of all your content out there and available all the time to everyone everywhere.

It's certainly where it will end up - some form of it - but it will have to be an evolution rather than revolution. It's too much of a shake up to be sudden. And of course technology is forever changing rapidly, and wider consumer habits are moving at different paces. But all those businesses - and the studios - are changing. Most are pro-active. And as I said, the attitude across the board from within is not aggressive/head in the sand. Most people within the studios and related businesses are fascinated/excited about the changes over the years ahead, and are working directly on that evolution, with exactly the same goals as the average consumer, and generally the same frustrations as probably most people who feel inclined or even 'forced' to go illegal to get whatever content it is they're after.

^ exactly. i'm not speaking for myself, but for some shows, it can take a year or two before we finally get shows airing over here, and of course at that point they're on a huge delay. talk about spoiler alerts. there's so many shows i miss that i used to watch every week in the us, and now i'm stuck watching episodes i saw in 2009 here.

what's my options? i can be patient and wait 2-3 years for them to air the current season, which will still be behind at that point. i can download the episodes every week, which thanks to legislation passed here a couple months ago is risky. i can wait a year and shell out $30 per show per season and obtain dvds of these shows legally.

here's what i don't get: the us has made themselves a huge powerhouse for tv. ask most people in any english speaking country what their favourite shows are and odds are at least one american show will be in there somewhere. tv networks and such could do themselves a huge favour by having this stuff up online for streaming for a small subscription fee right after airing, and have it available (more or less) worldwide. i don't know the logistics behind this but i know it could be done if they tried hard enough.

tl;dr: technology's changing and the studios and networks need to realise this and change with it, much like music does too. if these two fields want the widespread piracy to stop or lessen, they can't expect people to just stop. they have to adapt.

I'm not surprised. He's always been outspoken against pirating music. It doesn't bother me that Paul can say those things while Bono indirectly supports Wikipedia. "U2" is still five individuals if you include Paul and doesn't have to be a hive mind.

I don't remember if we had a Net Neutrality thread, and I realize this isn't exactly the same thing, but in all the dress/llmaa/snowball haze, it seems people might have missed this:

FCC Approves Net Neutrality Rules For 'Open Internet' : The Two-Way : NPR

Yep, with hardly a whimper of protest.

The major problem with government regulation is that it freezes innovation. Things get stuck in place. The U.S. went almost 5 decades with almost no innovation on our phones (essentially only longer cords and switching from rotary phone to touch tones).

When they deregulated the telephone communications industry, it took off.
Look at all the innovations we have today.

The Internet is now the engine of innovation. ‪‎Net Neutrality‬ will ruin it and stifle (or mute) the freedom of the net in every way they can.

Yep, with hardly a whimper of protest.

The major problem with government regulation is that it freezes innovation. Things get stuck in place. The U.S. went almost 5 decades with almost no innovation on our phones (essentially only longer cords and switching from rotary phone to touch tones).

When they deregulated the telephone communications industry, it took off.
Look at all the innovations we have today.

The Internet is now the engine of innovation. ‪‎Net Neutrality‬ will ruin it and stifle (or mute) the freedom of the net in every way they can.

This isn't true at all. We went from houses with one phone who were often sharing lines with neighbors to phones in any room in the house. During that time we added call waiting, caller id, conference calling, then we went cordless, etc. To say there was no innovation is being purposely blind.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This isn't true at all. We went from houses with one phone who were often sharing lines with neighbors to phones in any room in the house. During that time we added call waiting, caller id, conference calling, then we went cordless, etc. To say there was no innovation is being purposely blind.

Google: Ma Bell

Google: Ma Bell

Don't insult me, I know the history. Actually engage and speak to my post. You're pretending there was no innovation, I'm pointing out just a few of the innovations you purposely overlooked.

I want you to be honest and point out where this industry lacked in innovation compared to comparable industries. Please do this and don't flee the discussion as in the past.

Don't insult me, I know the history. Actually engage and speak to my post. You're pretending there was no innovation, I'm pointing out just a few of the innovations you purposely overlooked.

I want you to be honest and point out where this industry lacked in innovation compared to comparable industries. Please do this and don't flee the discussion as in the past.

What a shame...

Back
Top Bottom