so, the terrorists win...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolian2

Blue Crack Supplier
For all United States bound aircraft originating in a foreign country and including Puerto Rico and the United States Virgin Islands:

- Passengers will not be able to leave their seat from approximately one (1) hour prior to landing. The cockpit will inform in-flight personnel when this should be enforced.
- In-flight and cockpit personnel must refrain from making any PA announcements regarding the position of the aircraft or landing announcements. Cockpit personnel will use the IF alarm system to warn in-flight personnel to take their seats prior to landing.
- Passengers will be allowed one carry-on item or one personal item and will not be able to access this item during the one (1) hour period prior to landing.
- No items can be used/held/accessed/accessible by any passenger, including personal electronic devices, magazines, newspapers, books, etc. during the one (1) hour pre-landing period.
- In-flight personnel must collect First / Business Class PED one (1) hour and thirty (30) minutes prior to landing.
- In-flight personnel must collect all pillows and blankets one (1) hour prior to landing. Pillows and blankets must be stored in the galley and not in overhead bins.
- All on-board fixed IFE systems will be disabled and not available to our customers. Do not run or attempt to run any fixed IFE system.

Terror At Metro

let's add that on top of all of the nightmares we already have to put up with any time we think about flying as it is.

Passengers flying from international locations to U.S. destinations may notice additional security measures in place. These measures are designed to be unpredictable, so passengers should not expect to see the same thing everywhere. Due to the busy holiday travel season, both domestic and international travelers should allot extra time for check-in.

TSA: TSA and DHS Statements on Northwest Airlines Flight 253

and here's hoping this remains a rumour: http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/12/26/airplane-electronics-ban/

so this time a plane wasn't blown up because of measures already in place (not to mention it's almost impossible to create an explosion fatal to an airframe with what you can get on board a plane anyway - this guy probably just managed to set his clothes on fire), and we can claim the terrorists didn't win and freedom reigns supreme. this is really the bigger issue at hand.

ha.

it's hard to justify starting this thread, given it should just be one big circle jerk of everyone agreeing with how much terrorism has actually defeated us, but i'd be interested in seeing if there is another opinion out there.

What is this bullshit about the last hour of the flight? Like some terrorist can't do something in the three hours before then?

I eagerly await the day when our airline travel experience is reduced to being tied to our seats, naked with hollow butt plugs as our only carry-ons.*

I mean, clearly this is going to be the end result if we insist on being reactive instead of proactive to airline security.

*I freely admit to stealing that from someone else on another site

In-flight and cockpit personnel must refrain from making any PA announcements regarding the position of the aircraft

That's ok, I'll use my monitor, it has a map

This is totally absurd. Business class travelers in particular are going to be thrilled about giving up 90 minutes of work time. WTF is even the point of paying for business class anymore in those circumstances?

I'm sure all terrorists will politely only act in the last hour of flight.

Some idiot sets his nuts on fire, and now I can't pee in the last hour of the flight. :rolleyes: Thanks, Amsterdam security! Good job! :happy:

Now let's sit back and listen to the airlines and government whine and bitch about how no one travels.

Let me know when he buys a railroad that crosses the Atlantic or Pacific.

:ohsnap:

Air Canada said in a statement that new rules imposed by the Transportation Security Administration limit on-board activities by passengers and crew in U.S. airspace. The airline said that during the final hour of flight passengers must remain seated. They won't be allowed access to carryon baggage or to have any items on their laps.

Flight attendants on some domestic flights are informing passengers of similar rules. Passengers on a flight from New York to Tampa Saturday morning were also told they must remain in their seats and couldn't have items in their laps, including laptops and pillows.

Can I still read in the last hour of a flight, as long as the book isn't in my lap? If I'm holding it above lap level, is that acceptable? Can I maybe just glue it to the seatback in front of me?

"Air Canada said in a statement that new rules imposed by the Transportation Security Administration limit on-board activities by passengers and crew in U.S. airspace. The airline said that during the final hour of flight passengers must remain seated. They won't be allowed access to carryon baggage or to have any items on their laps.

Flight attendants on some domestic flights are informing passengers of similar rules. Passengers on a flight from New York to Tampa Saturday morning were also told they must remain in their seats and couldn't have items in their laps, including laptops and pillows.:"

The plot thickens worsens.

I do not have words for how much I now dread flying. It's so thoroughly unenjoyable all around. And I'm a good flyer, I'll read or listen to my Ipod all day and be just fine. I just feel a lot less than an adult, or a human, maybe, when I'm in an airport or plane.

My current policy is anything I can drive to within 10 hours, I drive to, screw the flight. If we're talking about needing maybe a 2nd day of driving to get there, or if I'm crossing an ocean, then I'll fly. Begrudgingly.

And while I was kidding above re: Buffet buying a railroad, taking a train is 100x better than freaking flying, and soon I might even feel that I'm better off sacrificing some time for the comfort of being on the train.

I do not have words for how much I now dread flying. It's so thoroughly unenjoyable all around. And I'm a good flyer, I'll read or listen to my Ipod all day and be just fine. I just feel a lot less than an adult, or a human, maybe, when I'm in an airport or plane.

My current policy is anything I can drive to within 10 hours, I drive to, screw the flight. If we're talking about needing maybe a 2nd day of driving to get there, or if I'm crossing an ocean, then I'll fly. Begrudgingly.

Pretty much sums up how I feel about it. I'm a good flyer, too. I feel even weirdly comfortable roaming around airports. I'm just glad I've been to most of the places I really wanted to see overseas because suddenly going back to them isn't at all appealing.

Time to start saving again for a new foreign car.

If we had high-speed rail like in Europe, I'd avoid flying as much as possible. It's so thoroughly unpleasant these days.

This new stay-and-pee-in-your-seat in the last 60 minutes of flight rule can't possibly last long. Just wait till kids start peeing all over the place.

And really if this is in response to the Nigerian man then isn't the most logical solution to make us all take our pants off during the last 60 minutes?

Good point. I'll go with used chewing gum instead.

Although I suppose at some point, some asshole terrorist who thinks he's McGuyver will construct a bomb out of chewing gum, a paperclip and a Dan Brown paperback, and then we won't get to have gum, either - we'll just have to sit there and take the pain of the pressurization.

I still don't understand why these restrictions only apply during the last 60-90 minutes of flight time. What about the other 6+ hours or so?

I understand the need for enhanced security, however adding these latest measures just makes the thought of flying completely unbearable. I can easily see where the only people deterred from flying will be regular travelers. Terrorists won't care, they'll simply adjust their plans accordingly. :angry:

So basically if you're only flying within the U.S. none of these rules apply? Because there could never possibly be a terrorist in the U.S.?

I feel for the poor guy today who caused the "disturbance" on the flight from Amsterdam. ABC News informed me he had food poisoning and couldn't/wouldn't come out of the bathroom, which caused today's kerfuffle.

How embarrassing.

(There is indeed an "explosive" joke to be made here, but I just cannot bring myself to do it.)

Maybe Depends will take the place of barf bags in the seat pockets. (Although come to think of it, I haven't seen a barf bag on a plane in a long time.)

I still don't understand why these restrictions only apply during the last 60-90 minutes of flight time. What about the other 6+ hours or so?

Well, the in-flight movie is playing then, and no terrorist wants to miss A Night At The Museum.

It kind of comes across like a tacit admission that their boarding security procedures aren't up to snuff.

"Okay terrorists, you may get on board, but if you think you're going to crash this plane into a US city, think again. You're just going to have to be satisfied crashing it into the ocean."

Back
Top Bottom