so, the terrorists win...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As the Ft Hood thread is closed I thought I'd post this here in hopes someone can explain what is going on.
The Fort Hood Report: Why No Mention of Islam?
Time magazine jan 20th

The U.S. military's just-released report into the Fort Hood shootings spends 86 pages detailing various slipups by Army officers but not once mentions Major Nidal Hasan by name or even discusses whether the killings may have had anything to do with the suspect's view of his Muslim faith. And as Congress opens two days of hearings on Wednesday into the Pentagon probe of the Nov. 5 attack that left 13 dead, lawmakers want explanations for that omission.

John Lehman, a member of the 9/11 commission and Navy Secretary during the Reagan Administration, says a reluctance to cause offense by citing Hasan's view of his Muslim faith and the U.S. military's activities in Muslim countries as a possible trigger for his alleged rampage reflects a problem that has gotten worse in the 40 years that Lehman has spent in and around the U.S. military. The Pentagon report's silence on Islamic extremism "shows you how deeply entrenched the values of political correctness have become," he told TIME on Tuesday. "It's definitely getting worse, and is now so ingrained that people no longer smirk when it happens."
(full story)
Fort Hood Report: No Mention of Islam, Hasan Not Named - TIME

Huffington Post

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich appeared on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, leveling harsh criticism against the Obama administration.

After Gingrich assailed the administration for reading Miranda Rights to Detroit undie bomber Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, Stewart drew a comparison to something that happened under George W. Bush.

"Didn't they do the same with Richard Reid, who was the shoe bomber?" he asked the Republican icon.

"Richard Reid was an American citizen," insisted Gingrich.

Reid is actually a British citizen of Jamaican descent.

Stewart started to raise the Miranda Rights issue again, but Gingrich pushed the conversation along.

Later, when Gingrich acknowledged that part of his job is to reach out to the emotions of the American people, Stewart shot back, "I think that's wise. And don't let reality get in the way."

At the end of the show, Stewart realized that Gingrich had falsely claimed the shoe bomber was an American citizen and noted that to his audience.

politico.com Feb 2

Republicans may have a hard time keeping up their talking point about how reading Miranda rights to the Christmas Day bomber represented a dangerous new direction under President Barack Obama.

It turns out that that back in December 2001, Richard Reid — the “shoe bomber” — was read or reminded of his Miranda rights four times in two days, beginning five minutes after being taken into custody.

Furthermore, the Bush administration specifically rejected the idea of a military tribunal — another step that Republicans have argued should have been taken in the case of Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, who tried to bring down Northwest Flight 253 over Detroit on Christmas Day and was read his rights after 50 minutes of FBI questioning.

After Reid attempted to blow up an American Airlines flight out of Paris, Massachusetts State Police officers boarded the plane at 12:55 p.m. on Dec. 22, 2001, handcuffed Reid and removed him from the plane, according to U.S. District Court records.

“At around 1:00 p.m., one of the officers (it is unclear who) read Reid Miranda warnings,” according to a court order in Reid’s case. “The officers then placed Reid inside a police cruiser. … At some point while in the cruiser, Trooper Santiago … asked Reid ‘What happened on the plane?,’ which Reid answered by stating that nothing happened on the plane. … Reid then asked Trooper Santiago, ‘Where are the reporters?’”

“At 2:15 p.m., he was again read his Miranda warnings,” the chronology continues. “Before any interrogation of Reid commenced, he rested in his cell and was given water. … Federal investigators began interrogating Reid at around 5:07 p.m. … At that time, the agents again informed Reid of his Miranda protections, which he said he understood. …

“The following day, December 23, 2001, agents Davis and Choldin resumed questioning Reid at the Plymouth Facility at around 5:10 p.m. They reminded him of his Miranda safeguards, which he said he understood. He also signed a form acknowledging that he understood his rights and agreed to be questioned.”

The next month, a federal grand jury returned an indictment against Reid for attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction, attempted homicide, placing an explosive device on an aircraft, attempted murder, interference with flight crew members and attendants, attempted destruction of an aircraft, using a destructive device during and in relation to a crime of violence and attempted wrecking of a mass transportation vehicle.

Later that year, Reid pleaded guilty to all charges, and was sentenced to life in prison on Jan. 30, 2003.

During a Jan. 16, 2002, news conference announcing charges against Reid, Attorney General John Ashcroft was asked whether he “consider[ed] using a military tribunal in prosecuting [Reid].” Ashcroft replied: “I think people were alert, and that created a factual basis for the kind of court case that we've alleged. I did confer with the Department of Justice — pardon me, with the Department of Defense and with their general counsel — and they had no objection to our proceeding in this matter.”

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has said some of the Bush administration actions in the case were a mistake. At a Capitol stakeout on Tuesday, McConnell said: "Regardless of what may have happened in the past, and we have had some terrorists tried in U.S. courts, we've learned from that. It's a mistake. Since then, we set up military commissions. There are courtrooms, state-of-the-art courtrooms at Guantanamo. That's where the terrorists have been kept. It's clear that we ought to detain foreign terrorists at Guantanamo and try them at Guantanamo in military commission courtrooms. That is the sensible way to deal with this aspect of the war on terror. And most of my members think that that's the way we ought to go."

"Name him my name, Grandmamma," "Name him Christian."

ht_jaime_paulin_ramirez_100313_mn.jpg

OB-HV384_0312Ja_G_20100312190520.jpg

A photo of Jamie Pauline-Ramirez, center, with her grandmother Emma Johnson, left, and her mother Christine Holcomb, right.

Profiling?

this suspect would get passed right through.

Paulin-Ramirez's Actions Raised Mother's Concerns

By STEPHANIE SIMON

LEADVILLE, Colo.—Slumped on her couch with her cigarettes, her fading photographs and her memories, Christine Holcomb-Mott said she no longer knew what to believe.

Her 31-year-old daughter, Jamie Paulin-Ramirez, had been taken into custody in Ireland, linked to an alleged plot to kill a cartoonist who satirized the Prophet Mohammed.

Mrs. Holcomb-Mott hadn't talked to her daughter in days. She didn't know whether she had a lawyer, a court date, an explanation. But her daughter's behavior over the past few months, including she says, possible correspondence with a foreign national who wanted to take flying lessons in the U.S., unnerved her.

The Wall Street Journal hasn't reached Ms. Paulin-Ramirez and some events that her mother recounts about her daughter's home life couldn't be independently verified. But Mrs. Holcomb-Mott says she had been feeling estranged from her daughter for nearly a year.

Though they lived under the same roof, in a pink-painted house with wind chimes out front, the mother and daughter rarely talked, except to argue about Ms. Paulin-Ramirez's abrupt adoption of the Islamic faith and her decision to veil herself in a hijab. These tensions existed in the household despite the longtime embrace of Islam by Mrs. Holcomb-Mott's husband, George Mott.

Her daughter spent her time at work or online, Mrs. Holcomb-Mott said. Internet connections are iffy in this small, high-mountain town, but she would remain at the computer until 3 a.m. some nights, chatting online with new friends in far-off places, whose pictures she wouldn't let her parents see, Mrs. Holcomb-Mott said.

"I don't know who or what she is any more," Mrs. Holcomb-Mott said. "That scares me."

Her husband chimed in from a corner chair. "Jamie's made her bed," he said, "and she can lie in it."

Though she said she still loved her daughter, she and Mr. Mott have focused their energies on the other member of her family now in Ireland: Their grandson, Christian, who turned six last month.

Irish authorities have released no information about the grandson and it hasn't been possible to determine his whereabouts. His grandparents say they assume he is in the care of authorities in Ireland. They aim to get custody of the boy, even if it means making the case that his mother is an unfit guardian. "I'm so worried about that baby," Mrs. Holcomb-Mott said.

The boy's father, who is Mexican, has made no contact with the family since Christian was a baby, according to Mrs. Holcomb-Mott.

Ms. Paulin-Ramirez and her son moved into the Mott home here in Leadville in 2007. Christian was then a sturdy, chubby-cheeked toddler whom the family nicknamed "Huey," after the old cartoon character Baby Huey, they say. Mrs. Holcomb-Mott even ordered a vanity license plate for her truck: GMAHUEY—for Grandma of Huey.

Ms. Paulin-Ramirez, they say, had lived a scattered adult life. They described her as rootless and searching, running through several marriages, moving from place to place. She went through a period of infatuation with tough street gangs, her stepfather said.

But in Leadville, she seemed to settle down. She worked the morning shift as a clinic medical assistant, setting her alarm for 5 a.m. She took online college classes in the afternoons, working toward certification as a nurse practitioner.

Then last winter, they said she began expressing interest in Islam. "Critical Issues Facing Muslim Women," a video, arrived in the mail for her, along with a variety of texts—including, her stepfather said, "The Al Qaeda Reader," a collection of speeches and online postings about jihad.

Mr. Mott, a practicing Muslim for decades, said he tried to engage Ms. Paulin-Ramirez in conversation about the faith but said she wouldn't talk to him. He wondered how much she really understood, he said. She seemed to lack even a rudimentary knowledge of the Prophet Mohammed's life.

But he said Ms. Paulin-Ramirez began spending hours and hours online, in Islamic chat rooms still bookmarked on her computer. Whenever her parents came into the living room—where she had attached Arabic decals to her keyboard—she would minimize the pictures of the people she was chatting with, they say.

She did tell them about one man she had met online, a foreign national who kept asking her to help him come to Colorado to take flying lessons, said her stepfather who said he yelled at her: "Doesn't that raise a red flag?" Several of the terrorists involved in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks took flying lessons in the U.S.

After a bit, he said, Ms. Paulin-Ramirez no longer mentioned the would-be pilot, but soon after began communicating with another man.

Ms. Paulin-Ramirez told her parents that this new online friend was her teacher, instructing her about Ramadan, they say. But she would be up until 3 a.m. talking with him, leaving her just an hour or two to sleep before work. Her parents suspected an online romance.

They felt powerless. She was 31, an adult, a mother, and they couldn't make her stop, they said.

"I'm not against Muslims," Mrs. Holcomb-Mott said. "I married one." But she felt her daughter's newfound faith was just a phase. "She is the type of person that can be easily brainwashed," the mother said.

Then last fall, on a Friday, Sept. 11, Ms. Paulin-Ramirez told her parents she was driving to Denver for the weekend. She left most of the headscarves she had been wearing since announcing her conversion to Islam, her parents say. She took her son.

When she hadn't returned on the following Monday, missing a scheduled shift at work, Mrs. Holcomb-Mott called the local police. When a week passed with no word from her daughter, Mrs. Holcomb-Mott again called police, saying "her mother's intuition was telling her there is something very wrong," according to the police report.

Leadville Police Sgt. Saige Thomas wanted to help but said there was little she could do. "I explained that Jamie is an adult, and that she could go wherever she wanted to, and practice any religion that she wanted to," the police report states.

A few weeks later, Ms. Paulin-Ramirez contacted her family from Ireland. Mr. Mott said she told him that she had married the foreigner she had met online, that they had changed Christian's name to Wahid, and that he was attending a madrassa, or Islamic religious school.

By now, they said had little interest in talking with Ms. Paulin-Ramirez, tired of her phases, and furious that she had left behind a good job, a new car, a promising start at higher education.

But Christian was another matter. His tricycle still sits in the front yard, half-buried in snow. His grandparents study his pictures. Tears spilling down her cheeks, Mrs. Holcomb-Mott said she called Ireland to talk to him nearly every week since October. She said her heart broke with every conversation.

"He said, Poppa, get your truck and come get me. How're you going to find me, Poppa?" Mrs. Holcomb-Mott recalled.

Last time they talked with him, two weeks ago, Mrs. Holcomb-Mott said she told her grandson that their cat had just given birth to a single kitten, a white and gray puffball no bigger than her palm.

"Name him my name, Grandmamma," Mrs. Holcomb-Mott said her grandson told her. "Name him Christian."

Jamie Paulin-Ramirez's Actions Raised Mother's Concerns - WSJ.com

I don't mean to poke fun but I honestly thought her mother was a man in drag, she reminds me of an actor... I just can't remember who.

to be fair

with the 60 minutes allowed to edit,
I went back and posted the caption and rest of the article after you asked your question.

this seems to be much to do about nothing

"They questioned me on all the songs and after about five minutes they were fine with me."

The support worker, who works with disabled children in Sholing, near Southampton, said he was an hour late for work after not being allowed back on the train.

He added: "I was just a bit confused. Afterwards I found it quite funny because I'm quite easy-going.

"They just said that they had to be extra vigilant."

The set list also included the song titles Cigarettes and Alcohol by Oasis and Love Me Like You by The Magic Numbers.

A South West Trains spokesman said that officers, who protect the security of passengers, wanted to speak to Mr Shaw in private rather than on the train.

"During a routine high-visibility patrol back in early March, they talked with a passenger on the platform at Fareham station," he explained.

"The team clarified the nature of the individual's business, were satisfied with his explanation and the man went on his way."

if the guy was Muslim and held in a cell overnight, I could see it as being an over reaction

I think since those trains were blown up, they are going to some 'extra measures'.

I remember I was flying a short time after 911, and I went through a complete dump out all my contents baggage check, it took me a while to figure it was not just a random selection

I remembered I had arrived to the airport a bit late and was a bit stressed and impatient at the flight check in counter, the counter clerk gave me a look.

later, I realized I was carrying a hard back book, I had wanted to finish reading, The Satanic Verses. I think that is what singled me out for the extra scrutiny. I have modified my airport behavior, and reading materials, and have had less problems since.

My mom couldn't take her 4 ounces of applesauce in a manufacturer-sealed container on the airplane to Las Vegas on Tuesday. Only 3.4 ounces of applesauce are allowed in manufacturer-sealed containers.

I know I feel safer. :|

There's all kinds of internet buzz about the full body scanners and how they're making the pat downs so intrusive in order to make people choose the scanner. They supposedly really get in there in the groin area (and the breasts too and of course it's palms down now) and only kids under 12 can opt out of that. Some people are saying that they feel like they're being sexually assaulted and that their kids are. Thanks terrorists. Also there are fears about the radiation from the scanners. Some pilots are being told not to do the scan because of that (obviously they have to be scanned much more often) and I saw a news report about a pilot who said he couldn't fly because he was so traumatized by the pat down. It would be especially difficult for anyone who has been a victim of a sexual molestation/assault.

I haven't flown in two years and I wouldn't be looking forward to doing so. I would choose the scan over the pat down any day. Id rather have the radiation then be inappropriately touched by a total stranger.

There's all kinds of internet buzz about the full body scanners and how they're making the pat downs so intrusive in order to make people choose the scanner. They supposedly really get in there in the groin area (and the breasts too and of course it's palms down now) and only kids under 12 can opt out of that. Some people are saying that they feel like they're being sexually assaulted and that their kids are. Thanks terrorists. Also there are fears about the radiation from the scanners. Some pilots are being told not to do the scan because of that (obviously they have to be scanned much more often) and I saw a news report about a pilot who said he couldn't fly because he was so traumatized by the pat down. It would be especially difficult for anyone who has been a victim of a sexual molestation/assault.

I haven't flown in two years and I wouldn't be looking forward to doing so. I would choose the scan over the pat down any day. Id rather have the radiation then be inappropriately touched by a total stranger.

Fully agreed (excellent point about the victims thing, too). I REALLY think this is a horribly bad, stupid idea, this invasive pat-down thing. I just don't see how it's going to help at all.

I haven't flown since 1997. I've been fortunate enough to miss out on all the post-9/11 hyperactive airport security measures. But I'm hoping to fly again someday if I want to travel to some of the places I want to go, and I'd like to not have to go through this crap at the airport to do so.

Angela

later, I realized I was carrying a hard back book, I had wanted to finish reading, The Satanic Verses. I think that is what singled me out for the extra scrutiny.

Yeah that probably was not a good idea at the time, deep

Stick to Good Housekeeping from the Hudson News stand

Next time I fly, I'm very tempted to opt for the pat-down just in principle (assuming they're installed at SeaTac by then).

But in the moment, I might feel too harried or irritated and would rather just get it over rather than stick to my guns.

We'll see what happens.

Yeah I'm going to take the in-public pat-down option next time I am unfortunate enough to fly, just to see what it's like.

Plus I've never had someone on probation (most TSA employees?) fulfilling his work requirement by touching my balls before.

Make sure you make interesting noises while they're in your groinal area. "Ooh. Yeah. Little to the left, please."

Back
Top Bottom