so, the terrorists win...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
not exactly worth starting a war over, especially when we've not cleaned up the playpens in afghanistan and iraq yet.

A few more (well-publicized this time) drone attacks over Yemen ought to clean up inept retaliation attempts. Couldn't possibly escalate.

It's been almost a week, what's taking so long???

Once again, Cheney proves himself a blowhard lackey for the GOP.

Someone lit his balls on fire on an airplane? WHY AREN'T WE BOMBING SHIT YET???

And who are we suppose to be bombing? Innocent people who had nothing to do with this? We can't just invade an entire country.

Considering that these kinds of threats aren't going away, perhaps it's time to take some tips from a country that's already perfected high security air travel? Compared to the West, it looks like Israel has got it down to a fine art.

The 'Israelification' of airports: High security, little bother - thestar.com

While North America's airports groan under the weight of another sea-change in security protocols, one word keeps popping out of the mouths of experts: Israelification.

That is, how can we make our airports more like Israel's, which deal with far greater terror threat with far less inconvenience.

"It is mindboggling for us Israelis to look at what happens in North America, because we went through this 50 years ago," said Rafi Sela, the president of AR Challenges, a global transportation security consultancy. He's worked with the RCMP, the U.S. Navy Seals and airports around the world.

"Israelis, unlike Canadians and Americans, don't take s--- from anybody. When the security agency in Israel (the ISA) started to tighten security and we had to wait in line for — not for hours — but 30 or 40 minutes, all hell broke loose here. We said, 'We're not going to do this. You're going to find a way that will take care of security without touching the efficiency of the airport."

That, in a nutshell is "Israelification" - a system that protects life and limb without annoying you to death.

They call themselves jihadists. Works for me.

Don't forget posh London neighborhoods and Texas military bases.

It's also wildly politically incorrect which is presumably why some pretend so hard that the threat doesn't exist.

So what should the President do? What would a President McCain or Palin be doing in the wake of this incident?

Also, could you provide a link to an article where Obama indicates that the threat from jihadists doesn't exist? Since he's pretending so hard, it shouldn't be hard to find.

Considering that these kinds of threats aren't going away, perhaps it's time to take some tips from a country that's already perfected high security air travel? Compared to the West, it looks like Israel has got it down to a fine art.

They discussed that after 9/11 also. El Al has around 40 flights a day vs. around 35,000 in the US. They should borrow some of the tips that require less manpower though (many obvious ones).

That, in a nutshell is "Israelification" - a system that protects life and limb without annoying you to death.

Yeah, right.

Have any of you flown on El Al? They routinely take way longer to screen, they are known for emptying planes and re-loading them, etc. Most reputable travel agents will tell you to add an hour or two to your arrival at the airport when flying with them due to this reason.

I think they are excellent at what they do, but the idea that we'd put up with their screening methods because they're not a hassle is simply absurd.

Yeah, right.

Have any of you flown on El Al? They routinely take way longer to screen, they are known for emptying planes and re-loading them, etc. Most reputable travel agents will tell you to add an hour or two to your arrival at the airport when flying with them due to this reason.

I think they are excellent at what they do, but the idea that we'd put up with their screening methods because they're not a hassle is simply absurd.

Admittedly, I'm automatically suspicious of anything posed as a "perfect solution" in the media, so it's good to have added perspective here. Thanks.

it sounds to me like this whole thing was the work of one complete idiot.

Then your instinct is the same as the president's who called him an "isolated extremist" well after the evidence said otherwise. And therein lies the problem.
An isolated extremist would be read his rights and tried as a criminal. If you thought we were at war and this was a failed terrorist attack by a foreign enemy combatant or saboteur you would interrogate him to find out who trained, equipped and sent him and try him in a military court.

mrz122909dAPR20091229033723.jpg

450_shock_and_awe.jpg

Should we be sending those drones over to the Amsterdam airport? It sounds like there were some major security cock-ups there.

Brilliant! Points for War on Terror AND War on Drugs. More with less. :cute:

Suvivors will be "interrogated" in Lithuania.

Then your instinct is the same as the president's who called him an "isolated extremist" well after the evidence said otherwise. And therein lies the problem.
An isolated extremist would be read his rights and tried as a criminal. If you thought we were at war and this was a failed terrorist attack by a foreign enemy combatant or saboteur you would interrogate him to find out who trained, equipped and sent him and try him in a military court.

Your instinct seems to be to avoid the hard questions.

What evidence do you have that he has not been interrogated? Has he been set up with a fancy east coast lawyer who will defend him against charges of disturbing the peace?

Your instinct seems to be to avoid the hard questions.

What evidence do you have that he has not been interrogated? Has he been set up with a fancy east coast lawyer who will defend him against charges of disturbing the peace?

He was arrested and read his Miranda rights (right to be silent). Apparently he talked (bragged) the first day anyway.

I have never blamed the current administration for the failed attack, although I disagree with some policy changes they've made, but can you defend their words and actions in the first 72 hours after the attack? Don't forget, this thread was started to respond to the preposterous new rules about not leaving your seat or covering your lap the final hour of a trip.

I didnt care enough to fact check

129114d1262280137-funny-strange-random-pics-terror_odds.jpg

For the past eight years, approximately 2 million Americans a day have been subjected to humiliating searches at airport security checkpoints, forced to remove their shoes and jackets, to open their computers, and to remove all liquids from their carry-on bags, except minuscule amounts in marked 3-ounce containers placed in Ziploc plastic bags -- folding sandwich bags are verboten -- among other indignities.

This, allegedly, was the price we had to pay for safe airplanes. The one security precaution the government refused to consider was to require extra screening for passengers who looked like the last three-dozen terrorists to attack airplanes.

Since Muslims took down Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, in 1988, every attack on a commercial airliner has been committed by foreign-born Muslim men with the same hair color, eye color and skin color. Half of them have been named Mohammed.

And so, despite 5 trillion Americans opening laptops, surrendering lip gloss and drinking breast milk in airports day after day for the past eight years, the government still couldn't stop a Nigerian Muslim from nearly blowing up a plane over Detroit on Christmas Day.

--Ann Coulter Dec 30th column

That's the problem with your stats.

You and Ann have a lot in common...

and removing your jackets and shoes is humiliating? Really? Come on... Maybe Ann has some body issues.

You and Ann have a lot in common...

and removing your jackets and shoes is humiliating? Really? Come on... Maybe Ann has some body issues.

It's a colossal waste of time if nothing else. When I flew to Houston last week the person in front of me taking off his shoes and jacket was an airline pilot.
That's efficient screening.

It's a colossal waste of time if nothing else. When I flew to Houston last week the person in front of me taking off his shoes and jacket was an airline pilot.
That's efficient screening.

And you think profiling would work better? Let the white folks through stop the brownies? Because that wouldn't be the easiest security fault to work around. Pilot's are immune to security breaches? Wow, someone hasn't watched enough movies in their lifetime.

Just short sighted ignorance... Yes, what we have now isn't perfect but it's far better than what we had pre 9/11.

Back
Top Bottom