so, the terrorists win...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This new stay-and-pee-in-your-seat in the last 60 minutes of flight rule can't possibly last long. Just wait till kids start peeing all over the place.

From what I understand - in Canada, anyway - these new policies will only be in place for the next week or so. Still ridiculous, though :|

Too bad SNL is on hiatus, the TSA officials' meeting where they come up with this retarded shit would make a very very good skit.:cocktail:

The Eyes of Fear win again.

Buy your guns and put those giant locks on your doors.

I can understand the need for increased security, but some of these rules are just barmy.

This is just total crap, as have been the last two TSA policies to come out of failed terrorist attacks.

I'll tell you what I'm gonna do. . .take out my magazine again as soon as the flight attendants take their seats.

Ridiculous.

Please don't tell me IFE is Inflight Entertainment meaning the screens for watching movies you get. I don't care if i'm arrested, you will not force me on a 12 hour flight NOT to watch the lastest blockbuster 2 episodes of 30 rock and 2 of family guy. HAVE SOME MERCY! Its th eonly way I get through a flight it to slap on some headphones and pretend i'm all uncomfortable at home.

but seriously, while i understand its scary for the people on the plane, are we now all going to be lynched when getting up from our seat? Have to go pee pee with the door open? Be given a sack full of nutrients to suck up instead of a meal?
Why don't they lower the air pressure in the cabin, knock everyone out, land the plane and wake us up. I think that will solve a lot of problems! :hyper:

:happy: Oh this is so much fun.

There's a lot of ruckus here right now because of airport security. It's a lot of deep shit, apparently the people in charge are rookies who have been on the job in 2 months, and after a year people get kicked out for being 'too expensive'. :huh: There's a lot of stuff wrong there....

There are rumours (my Mrs works for QANTAS) that the 60 minute thing will stay in place for QANTAS flights into the US and that the TSA is also considering asking foreign carriers to demand all passengers turn off all electrical equipment 90 minutes before landing...

Added to the abysmal experience of immigration and customs upon landing with all due respect I will not bother heading to the USA again any time soon. I love you wacky Yanks however I am sick of being treated like a criminal upon stepping off a plane. We have a visa waiver in place to cut down on these dramas. What a waste.

is that opening quote for real, ian? so when we go to america next year, for the final hour i'm going to have to stare at the back of the seat in front of me? i can't read a newspaper?

are you fucking kidding me?

i sometimes wish that the media would report every single passenger who got on or off a plane who was not a terrorist or did nothing illegal or carried an object with absolutely no malice of forethought.

There are rumours (my Mrs works for QANTAS) that the 60 minute thing will stay in place for QANTAS flights into the US and that the TSA is also considering asking foreign carriers to demand all passengers turn off all electrical equipment 90 minutes before landing...

Added to the abysmal experience of immigration and customs upon landing with all due respect I will not bother heading to the USA again any time soon. I love you wacky Yanks however I am sick of being treated like a criminal upon stepping off a plane. We have a visa waiver in place to cut down on these dramas. What a waste.

I think the rules are in flux right now.

Regarding the strict customs, that's one of the reasons the US lost the Olympics bid. Even citizens returning home are given tough questioning frequently. I don't think the US will win another Olympics bid until they have a change in attitude.

strict usa customs? ha. i've never dealt with anyone who treated me like a criminal arriving in the usa, the hardest time was when one of the staff wanted to see another form of id because i don't look much like my passport photo, and he couldn't have been nicer about it. not to mention nobody has wanted to stop me after i collect my bags, it's basically a straight line from the bag carousel out of the airport - far less strict than just about anywhere else i've been.

the big problem is the tsa. they're all idiots. i hate dealing with them.

Customs can be hit or miss - sometimes you are waved through, other times it can be a minor ordeal, as has been publicized numerous times. Obama was asked directly about the possible "harrowing experience" of entering the US by an IOC member.

Personally, I am happy that I am not traveling overseas this coming year. I do not have the patience to deal with the lengthy delays.

Thankfully as of yet, I have yet to encounter any problems with customs upon arrival to a EU country or when I come back home to the US. Typically when I go through customs here in the US, I am greeted with a smile and a "Welcome back home" by the customs agents.

My complaints have to do with the inconsistencies of security checks at various international airports. I have been through intensive screening at Dublin airport to extremely limited security screenings at Milan's airport.

TSA does not bother me, mainly because I limit the amount of items I carry on board with me. The last time I was pulled aside for additional screening was in 2002.

uh, the visa waiver program has nothing to do with security. it only makes it easier for YOU by not making you get a visa because your country has their shit together. you are still the same as every other "alien" and the fact that you have a visa waiver passport doesnt mean you get special treatment.

you must not have filled out the i-94w and/or your declaration properly and held up the line, therefore pissing off the officer :lol:

i'd love to know how you were "treated like a criminal"

i'd love to know how you were "treated like a criminal"

Finger printing. Photo taken and filed on g-d knows whose database, questioned at length, patted down. All my forms were in order, passport had years to run so no issue there.

What they found suspicious was I had travelled to China a lot and was an Australian Government employee at the time. I worked for Immigration - so I have no idea what the issue was.

They kept asking what possible reason I have to be travelling to China three times in a year. Firstly it is none of your business what I do outside your shores unless I am travelling through the 'Axis Of Evil' - then you may have some valid queries. Secondly I had travelled to the US previously (before and after 9/11) and have been stopped every time. Always on a QANTAS flight, always direct. I just dont get it. Needless to say my trip to Vancouver for the Games is a direct flight with Air Canada.

Let me reiterate - I love the USA and think that most of the holidays I have had there have been awesome. But to get continually singled out.... I have no criminal record and I come from a country with extremely strong ties with the USA (we are in Afghanistan and Iraq as well and have been from the get go). If I was from Yemen, Saudi Arabia (then again) or Myanmar I'd expect issues.

I've had colleagues in the UK, NZ and Canada also complain about this issue. I will say this though - it is mainly at LAX. Flying into San Francisco isn't as bad.

finger printing and photo are standard practice for EVERYONE except US citizens, canadians, and certain visa classifications. even green card holders get printed and photo, every time they cross. primary and secondary questioning are also standard practice.

and it IS their business what you do outside our shores. they can ask you anything they want to determine your admissability to the US, including what you do for a living, where you have been and why, and purpose of your travels. it's nothing personal, they are just being vigilant and doing their jobs. if you have recurring in-depth interviews with patdowns and all that, they should provide you with a comment card and tear sheet so you can write and inquire to the goverment and they will answer any questions you may have, and might even fix the problem for future travels.

My complaints have to do with the inconsistencies of security checks at various international airports. I have been through intensive screening at Dublin airport to extremely limited security screenings at Milan's airport.

I'd reckon that's because it was your first entry point to the EU. If you alighted first in Milan then you would have had the intensive screening there, I'd guess.

right, cause the civil liberties group from san francisco knows EXACTLY how CBP operates. :rolleyes:

officers rely on facts and behaviors rather than "oh he's an arab, lets toss his shit", it doesnt work that way, thats a huge no no.

and besides, you have very limited rights when it comes to border searches anyway. they can pretty much search anything they want anytime they want, without suspicion. and this is nothing new, it's been that way since customs was first formed. compairing border searches to police searches is compairing apples and oranges.

Customs can be hit or miss - sometimes you are waved through, other times it can be a minor ordeal, as has been publicized numerous times. Obama was asked directly about the possible "harrowing experience" of entering the US by an IOC member.

it does help that i'm a white guy with a pretty normal name. but given i've been through the apparent worst place to do it every single time - los angeles, most of the times at the tom bradley terminal - i've found it okay. there was one flight where i was from the plane to the street in about 20 minutes and almost all of that was walking to the baggage claim and waiting for my bag, nothing else.

Back
Top Bottom