Snow Penises Rock Small Town

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Lafayette, Indiana has a snow problem on their hands, but it isn't the "snowpocalypse" everyone else has been talking about.

Local news station WLFI 18 filed this generous report about a neighborhood that was quite upset with one house's lawn decorations: snow sculptures representing male genitalia.

Neighbors who called the police said they "showed up, laughed and left" but later investigation revealed that under a state statute for "obscene matter" the creators of the snow penises could have received misdemeanor charges if they hadn't taken them down.

Who would have known a couple of suggestively shaped snow piles could cause this much of an uproar? We don't know how detailed these things were, but the sculptor must have made them pretty life-like to offend so many people.

Watch the detailed news report below to see just how gripped this small town was by the sculptures, which we imagine gave new meaning to the term "snowman." (Via Buzzfeed)

YouTube - snow penises rock small town (buzzfeed.com)

Given how some guys think with the wrong head, this is not surprising.

What about snow breasts? Are those obscene too? I heard dreadsox just got arrested for making some in his yard.

Fine Art of Snow Penises: A Sculptural Exhibition | The Stir

But then again, snow penises are a fine art, you know? Building a snow penis is no easy or talentless task. It's an art that evolves until the artist moves onto X-rated cake making or another specialty profession. Snow penises have been around, perhaps, for as long as penises have been around, which is quite awhile.

Circa 2005

Police whack giant snow penis

By John Doherty
Times Herald-Record
jdoherty@th-record.com

New Windsor - What, some might ask Jessica Sherer, is with the giant snow penis she built on her boyfriend's lawn this week?

As everyone knows, phallic displays were central to Viking winter solstice celebrations of fertility and rebirth. Yeah. So what.

And readers of this paper surely know that phallic rituals were as much a part of the Hopi Indian winter festivals as the Hawk dance.

But down on Quassaick Avenue, around the corner from the New Windsor Elementary School, the 6-foot tall, anatomically correct, finely detailed penis raised some questions Monday.

Especially for police.

"We got some calls that people thought it was offensive," said New Windsor police Chief Michael Biasotti. "We assumed it was some kids who did it."

Officers found no one home. Assuming the snow sculpture was more prank than nod to Christmas' pagan roots, the police knocked it down. Beat it down with shovels, actually.

"We came back around 11 in the morning, and it was just a pile of snow," recalled Sherer, 19. "Just some shovel marks."

Sherer, um, erected the statue with her boyfriend and another friend Sunday. She said she was surprised to hear some neighbors took offense.

Motorists honked their approval, and people walking by pointed and laughed, she said.

"People were waving and laughing," she said. "It was pretty funny."

No citations or criminal violations will be issued for the display, Biasotti said. The town codes prohibit lewd signs on businesses, but don't mention anything about public snow sculptures.

"We probably weren't 100 percent correct in going on the property and knocking it down," New Windsor Town Supervisor George Meyers said. "But our intentions were pure. Some people were offended. There are school buses going by there all day."

The last two nights of freezing weather has made the snow too stiff to sculpt, said Sherer. But she intends to rebuild.

"In a couple of days, Thursday or Friday, after it gets a little warmer," she promises.

Police and town officials aren't sure what their move will be.

"I'd want the police to talk to the property owner if we got complaints, ask them to take it down" Meyers said. "But after that, I don't think there's too much we can do."

Biasotti worries the display might give others ideas. "Now we're going to get snow penises popping up all over town," he said.

Many scholars, of course, trace the origin of the modern-day yule log to ancient pagan totems to virility and sun-god worship. Is that what Sherer was going for?

"We just did it because we were really bored, and we thought it'd be funny," she said. "It was huge."

:laugh:

Reminds me of a show I saw a few years back about a groupie who made sculptures of the pricks of rock-stars that she'd shagged. :lol:

I just wonder if the boy who was interviewed is really that upset about it or if he's being made to be upset by parents. And the mother who said her two or three year old, whatever it was, doesn't even know about that yet? Well, he has one so maybe he does. If he sees that outside will he really know what it is?

Of all things in this world to be offended by snow penises seem to be a lower priority. Plus they eventually melt.

I work in a college town and the students sculpted snow penises all the time. I guess some people were offended. The others just considered it part of the winter decor.

And the mother who said her two or three year old, whatever it was, doesn't even know about that yet?

If he doesn't know what it is, then what's the problem? I mean, it isn't as if it's traumatizing for him to see what would essentially amount to abstract art then...

I understand that the parents of small children would be uspset. Since, they are teaching their kids how to make snow angels and snow men.

1) The cop laughed because it's funny.

2) I get the distinct feeling that that kid is modelling his parents' disgust, otherwise, he probably wouldn't have even noticed, or gave a shit.

3) Can someone build one in my city?

I understand that the parents of small children would be uspset. Since, they are teaching their kids how to make snow angels and snow men.

Yes, small children should be taught that our naked bodies are sinful and that anything relating to sex is really dirty from a very young age.

It's not like they're snow sculpture recreations of scenes from Deep Throat.

It's just a penis. Big whoop.

"Mommy, what's that?"

"It's a penis." Or "Oh, they're just making silly kinds of snowmen."

End of discussion. They're not going to freak out unless the parents do.

Hell, I'm more annoyed by over-the-top Christmas light houses than I would be by a snow penis.
Although, if they colored it and made visible veins, I might change my mind. :huh:

He's traumatized by a snow penis? What happens every time he changes clothes or uses the bathroom?

Does anyone remember Kristie who used to be on here years ago? I shit you not she had a penis rock in her yard, I've seen it myself. That's what I thought of when I first saw the thread title, had a good laugh.

I shit you not she had a penis rock in her yard, I've seen it myself. That's what I thought of when I first saw the thread title, had a good laugh.

penis_rock.jpg

Of all things in this world to be offended by snow penises seem to be a lower priority. Plus they eventually melt.

Gives whole new meaning to the concept of "shrinkage".

Goofy, perhaps stupid and juvenile, but in the grand scheme of things, yeah, with others here. Not worth a fuss. Besides, it's their yard, not anyone else's, so if you don't like the decor, well...:shrug:. Tough, I guess? Unless you belong to a homeowner's association or something.

Angela

:lmao: Wow. I don't think it should of been as big a deal as they made it out to be. It's not exactly illegal.

Except that apparently it is. A misdemeanor at any rate, and if the people were upset with it, then it is in violation of that law :shrug:. Obviously if anyone had actually been arrested that'd be ridiculous, but what offends one might not offend another (iow, most people in this thread). I'd personally have found it hilarious.

What's more hilarious was the person in the video who said, "It disgusts me" and the subtitle under her name said "disgusted by the object".

Yes, small children should be taught that our naked bodies are sinful and that anything relating to sex is really dirty from a very young age.

It's not like they're snow sculpture recreations of scenes from Deep Throat.

It's just a penis. Big whoop.

"Mommy, what's that?"

"It's a penis." Or "Oh, they're just making silly kinds of snowmen."

End of discussion. They're not going to freak out unless the parents do.

Reminds me of a similar hoopla yeeeears ago when they made it legal for women to go topless in the province of Ontario. There was the whole "What am I supposed to do when my children see a pair of naked breasts?!?" and the rational response was, well, tell your children they're breasts and that women have them for feeding babies. End of story. Big deal. Making an issue out of it, on the other hand, is a good way to ensure that your child grows up with an unhealthy, warped view of nudity and sexuality. :doh: :)

Back
Top Bottom