Slavery Footprint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

That was really interesting, particularly the end results, where it was eye-opening to click on the various locations and see what the horrors were in that part of the world. :(

35 for the 5 of us (2 adults plus three school-age kids).

It's a nice idea, but in terms of setup and design, this is one of the worst online surveys I've seen and that's saying a lot. In scope it's quite similar to the 'ecological footprint' surveys I've helped conduct for a local environmental group, but those can be completed in about a quarter of the time this one took.

Also, glad they had those 'fine tune your results' sidebars, since some of the defaults were ridiculous (apparently my kids each have a cell phone, game console, action figure, cycling shorts, and rain boots--none of which any of them have--yet I'm making them get by with just 2 pairs of underwear between them??).

Last edited:
Yeah, it wasn't a great design.

I thought it was odd that for the food choices, it said 0 = never and 5 = always .... but it allowed you to notch the count up well over 5.

After fine-tuning 25. Before 20. Maybe it was the two french-presses that raised it.

The design was really a bit weird. Keep it more simple, but useful. Also, it's a serious topic, so too much on the graphics is kinda counteracting the purpose. And that there's just 25 bonded labour involved in all of my purchases. :eyebrow:
And last, but not least, some people source their coffee from fair trade or are conscious about the clothes they buy (even though this is incredibly tough), and maybe it could be incorporated what one can do to change the status quo.

But nevertheless, thumbs up for taking up this topic!

CNN did a series of stories on this topic recently. It does make you feel guilty about all the stuff you think you need to buy, and little to do you know someone is suffering as a result.

What the occupy protest is actually protesting about may be on the scale of things of greater concern to the health and prosperity of society than as bad as it is, slavery.

One could argue that certain capitalistic practices cause a certain amount of unscrupulousness in the search for cheap labour.

What the occupy protest is actually protesting about may be on the scale of things of greater concern to the health and prosperity of society than as bad as it is, slavery.

One could argue that certain capitalistic practices cause a certain amount of unscrupulousness in the search for cheap labour.

You skipped over the topic.

And you flashed to propaganda.

We are living in a world gone wrong.

My opinion :wave:

Fuck, that test has one of the most frustrating user interface designs I have ever encountered online in anything resembling a "modern" website. I barely made it past the odd controls to add a child. That web design firm should have been fired.

People being held captive and abused as slaves today

and only nine replies to this post.

Oh, I forgot, the Occupy protest are so much more important.

It's linked in many ways. And the Occupy Wall Street movement is more controversial. And it never makes much sense to judge a topic by the number of replies. I don't reply to many topics, yet it doesn't mean I don't care about it.

If a tree falls on the internet and no one posts about it, does it scream?

..... wait, that doesn't sound right .....

People being held captive and abused as slaves today

and only nine replies to this post.

Oh, I forgot, the Occupy protest are so much more important.

Isn't this modern slavery a broken spoke in the the wheels of capitalism?

If we had better access to information, would we be buying these products?

Shouldn't our government ban the sale of the these items in our country?

It's nice of them to bring attention to it, but without specifics, the survey is pretty useless

Back
Top Bottom