Scientology is a creepy and weird cult, says Murdoch on Twitter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw those! (Roger Ebert re-tweeted them)

Yes, yes, other religions are at heart something that seems "weird" and/or "crazy". And yes, other religions have some nasty business in their history (recent or ancient history).

But man, Scientology just is really toppermost of the poppermost of creepy, isn't it?

corianderstem said:
But man, Scientology just is really toppermost of the poppermost of creepy, isn't it?

I just want to acknowledge that you said "toppermost of the poppermost."

:)

When Rupert Murdoch is the one calling you creepy and evil, you'd best check yo'self.

Seriously, though. Scientology freaks me out. Say what you will about religion in general, but what kind of religion only tells you its "truth" once you've paid enough money?

It's a scam. Perhaps it does help some people live better lives. That doesn't make it any less of a scam.

When Tom Cruise and John Travolta are the public face of your organization, you have a credibility problem.

This.

I know Hollywood has its weird aspects and such as it is, and insert all your jokes about celebrities here, and all that, but I'm continually amazed at how many people actually fall for such a scam. What the hell is it about Scientology that makes it so attractive to those people?

At least Katie is free now.
Too bad it was too late for her career.

Still...have you seen The Gift? Then you know what the gift actually was.
Two of them actually.

Just read "Inside Scientology." It's worth the read.

FWIW: the various definitions of the word "cult" include this particular one: "a quasi-religious organization using devious psychological techniques to gain and control adherents".

Control seems to be the real defining element that separates it from a religion (generally defined as a set of beliefs). Cults are also uniquely predatory, and Scientology is uniquely, uniquely predatory.

nathan1977 said:
Control seems to be the real defining element that separates it from a religion (generally defined as a set of beliefs).

Control is a defining element of religion too

i know there's a lot of shady shit in the big religions' pasts, but I don't think the Catholics try and separate you from other family members if they too are not Catholic. Or they don't follow you if you try and leave the church.

AND you get to hear about Jesus' awesomeness right off the bat!

American Catholics, at least the ones I know, are very laid back about Catholicism. Just go to mass once a week and have your kid play some CYO sport and you are good to go with the Big Man.

nathan1977 said:
Perhaps in certain denominations, but Scientology takes it to a whole new level.

Ya, I can agree with this. Plus Jesus wasn't a known pathological liar

INDY500 said:
He said He was God. That's either true or one big whopper of a lie.

I can agree with this too. I was trying to be nice ;)
And there's always the third option that he was delusional, but honest.

Honest question for the religious folk: from a purely objective viewpoint, what is the difference between Jesus and a guy like David Koresh?

Jesus didn't take His followers down with Him when He died.

Maybe that's right or maybe he and his followers were killed by the government intervention. And even if it were the former, a quick creative flourish and he's suddenly a martyr.

My point is not to belittle the story of Jesus. I'm just fascinated by religion and how it comes in to being. Presumably, those who believe in Jesus are as atheistic on the other religions as me (or at least, all but one other that's just a couple millennia past its best before date), so I don't think my question was an unfair one or even a sacrilegious one for that matter.
All the bullet-points are there. His story somewhat (and I would presume, intentionally) mirrors that of Jesus. Undoubtedly there will be another 'legit' religion to come along and scoop up a ton of followers; I'm fascinated by the idea of someone picking up on a story like his a few decades or a century from now and that becoming the basis for a new worldwide religion. It's not that far fetched.

Back
Top Bottom