"Sarah Palin is no dummy" - Firm Obama Supporter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So it's impossible for a sane person to come to the conclusion that Sarah Palin is not intelligent?

I'm sure she's not stupid.

But she's sure not coming across as very intelligent in public appearances. Playing up the winking and the "hockey mom" references and whatnot are not helping her case.

It comes across like a schtick, and it also reads to me like she's playing down her intelligence, which begs the question: is she purposefully doing that so as not to appear too smart or too strong? Heaven forbid she come across smart and strong like ... oh, say Hillary Clinton.

If she is doing that, what does that say about a) her; and b) the Republicans putting her on the ticket? A lot a lot a lot.

I think Harry has a crush...:love:

I really don't see what she "examined".

This is just like the "and I'm a liberal Democrat" argument against gay marriage.

Did this really need it's separate thread?

What makes you call her a "sane voice"? Google her and see what you think.

She voted for Bill Clinton, I would think that might make her certifiable in your eyes. Or maybe she doesn't like Hillary *bonus points*

It does need a separate thread, it's the Hillary vs Sarah FYM smackdown. There could even be a drinking game.

Though men may be deep, mentally they are slow.
Camille Paglia

Woman is the dominant sex. Men have to do all sorts of stuff to prove that they are worthy of woman's attention.
Camille Paglia

Men know they are sexual exiles. They wander the earth seeking satisfaction, craving and despising, never content. There is nothing in that anguished motion for women to envy.
Camille Paglia

Though men may be deep, mentally they are slow.
Camille Paglia

Woman is the dominant sex. Men have to do all sorts of stuff to prove that they are worthy of woman's attention.
Camille Paglia

Men know they are sexual exiles. They wander the earth seeking satisfaction, craving and despising, never content. There is nothing in that anguished motion for women to envy.
Camille Paglia

This is feminism?

^ Paglia is basically the academic equivalent of a shock jock (yes, academics come in that flavor too. At least, here in the US ;) ).

I always find myself looking for the Signature Paglia Moment in her articles and in this case I think it may be this:
As I said in my last column, Palin has made the biggest step forward in reshaping the persona of female authority since Madonna danced her dominatrix way through the shattered puritan barricades of the feminist establishment. In 1990, in a highly controversial New York Times op-ed that attacked old-guard feminist ideology, I declared that “Madonna is the future of feminism” — a prophecy that was ridiculed at the time but that turned out to be quite true. Madonna put pro-sex feminism on the international map.

But it is now 18 years later — the span of an entire generation. The instabilities and diminishments for young women raised in an increasingly shallow media environment have become all too obvious. I had grown up in a vibrant pop culture with glorious women stars of voluptuous sensuality — above all Elizabeth Taylor, sewn into that silky white slip as the vixen Manhattan call girl of “Butterfield 8.” In college, I feasted on foreign films starring sexual sophisticates like Jeanne Moreau, Anouk Aimée and Catherine Deneuve. Sex today, however, has become brittle and superficial. Except for the occasional diverting flash of Lindsay Lohan’s borrowed bosom, I see nothing whatever that is worth a second glance. Pro-sex feminism has worked itself out and, like all movements, has degenerated into clichés. And even Madonna, with her skeletal megalomania, looks like a refugee from a horror movie.
In other words, what she really despises is the democratization of sexuality. Yep, sorry babe, greater equality does tend to have the effect of damping down that achingly titillating sublimity that only comes from being held back from the rough-and-tumble of the real world. :sad:

Although, honorable mention for:
As for Palin’s brutally edited interviews with Charlie Gibson and that viper, Katie Couric, don’t we all know that the best bits ended up on the cutting-room floor? Something has gone seriously wrong with Democratic ideology, which seems to have become a candied set of holier-than-thou bromides attached like tutti-frutti to a quivering green Jell-O mold of adolescent sentimentality.

And where is all that lurid sexual fantasy coming from? When I watch Sarah Palin, I don’t think sex — I think Amazon warrior! I admire her competitive spirit and her exuberant vitality, which borders on the supernormal. The question that keeps popping up for me is whether Palin, who was born in Idaho, could possibly be part Native American (as we know her husband is), which sometimes seems suggested by her strong facial contours. I have felt that same extraordinary energy and hyper-alertness billowing out from other women with Native American ancestry — including two overpowering celebrity icons with whom I have worked.
That said, she can definitely be very formidable intellectually, and some of her literary criticism and writings on poetry can be very enjoyable and almost lyrical, without nearly so much drama.

(Paglia, I mean. Though for the record I've never seen Palin as a "dummy" and still don't.)

Last edited:
As I said in my last column, Palin has made the biggest step forward in reshaping the persona of female authority since Madonna danced her dominatrix way through the shattered puritan barricades of the feminist establishment. In 1990, in a highly controversial New York Times op-ed that attacked old-guard feminist ideology, I declared that “Madonna is the future of feminism” — a prophecy that was ridiculed at the time but that turned out to be quite true. Madonna put pro-sex feminism on the international map.

YouTube - Madonna - American Pie - Music

sane voice from the left

Yeah, when pigs
flypig.gif

I don't know what she's said in the past but you just have to love...

" And even Madonna, with her skeletal megalomania, looks like a refugee from a horror film."

Priceless!!!

It's about bloody time that a sane voice from the left attempts to examine this.

Except Camille Paglia isn't part of the modern left, if she can be considered leftist at all. Her views mostly remind me of "East Coast Straussianism" (although I don't think she's influenced specifically by him, but perhaps that of some of his students), which is highly critical of the "liberal establishment" without being tied to right-wing religious conservatism as the "West Coast Straussianism" tends to be, but with less intellectual discipline.

She's interesting in itself, but yolland probably has it right in that Paglia's best description is that of an "academic shock jock." She'll say anything, if it means infuriating and breaking out of convention.

Except Camille Paglia isn't part of the modern left, if she can be considered leftist at all. Her views mostly remind me of "East Coast Straussianism" (although I don't think she's influenced specifically by him, but perhaps that of some of his students), which is highly critical of the "liberal establishment" without being tied to right-wing religious conservatism as the "West Coast Straussianism" tends to be, but with less intellectual discipline.

She's interesting in itself, but yolland probably has it right in that Paglia's best description is that of an "academic shock jock." She'll say anything, if it means infuriating and breaking out of convention.

Well, good for her then. Both sides need a good kick in the ass sometimes.

Exceptions prove the rule, but in general dissenting voices should be welcome.
However, some dissenters come across pretty insane.

Back
Top Bottom