Sad Day! (Haiti Earthquake)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd like to ask for :hug: for Haiti, especially for a friend of a friend, Rev. Sam Dixon. He had just gotten to Haiti the day of the quake for mission work and had got caught in the rubble of the hotel in which he was staying. The news out of Haiti is in fact spotty, Sam was another case in which there was conflicting info; at first the news came out Friday that he had been rescued with minor injuries but yesterday the truth came out that he had died before rescuers got to him. :sad:

I'd like to ask for :hug: for Haiti, especially for a friend of a friend, Rev. Sam Dixon. He had just gotten to Haiti the day of the quake for mission work and had got caught in the rubble of the hotel in which he was staying. The news out of Haiti is in fact spotty, Sam was another case in which there was conflicting info; at first the news came out Friday that he had been rescued with minor injuries but yesterday the truth came out that he had died before rescuers got to him. :sad:

My heart goes out to all that have suffered personal loss in this tradegy.
My prayers go out to them and everyone.:hug:

Where was all this goodwill and $$$ before the earthquake?

It has always been there. You just weren't paying attention. Was is it they say? Whatever you focus on expands. Why don't we all focus on moving forward with helping hands instead of dolling out the cynicism?

Here is a great example since you asked for it...:D
My brother works for the Center fo Justice and posted this on his blog today regarding a wonderful family who is are like family to him, that have been doing work in Haiti for over 4 decades. They never got a single lick of attention from the so-called "Liberal" media.

If you want to read the whole thing go here: Heartbreak in Haiti | Center for Justice
My brother wrote this intro:

"....I have worked at one time with one or more of the Close sisters, Frances and Gracie, activists, philanthropists, and humanitarians from South Carolina who’ve touched lives all over the world. Frances is my daughter’s godmother ......"
One of the Close family’s special interests over the years has been humanitarian assistance and hands-on economic development in Haiti. Frances’s and Gracie’s brother Buck was working on the outskirts of Port au Prince at the time the magnitude 7.0 earthquake struck on Tuesday.

By Wednesday he had written an initial report on the events he witnessed that day that appears, in full, on the popular blog site The Daily Beast.
Buck has been working in Haiti for four decades and directs a non-profit organization called 1,000 Jobs/Haiti.

Gengel of Rutland, Mass. still missing in Haiti | NECN

wow. this really sucks. this girl's family was told she's alive only to be told later that she is still missing. i happened to be watching CNN when they interviewed her joyful dad right after he was told that she was alive. for some reason, this made my stomach turn.

Yes it's horrible. They've rescued other people from the rubble of the Hotel Montana but time is running out for Britney. It would truly be a miracle now. She was there doing relief work with others from her college with a group called Food For The Poor.

I didn't want to give via my credit card because the credit card companies are actually charging transaction fees and whatever else they do and making money off of this. I don't care what they've donated, it's the principle. I don't want my cell phone company making money off it either. Usually I would give to the Red Cross so I just gave cash at my church.

Groups Send Aid to Diabetics Earthquake Victims in Haiti | Diabetes News Hound

Groups Send Aid to Diabetics Earthquake Victims in Haiti
The aftermath of the devastating earthquake in Haiti has left an estimated 300,000 diabetics in that country in urgent need of help.

The International Diabetes Federation (IDF) and Australia-based Insulin for Life sent a relief package to the country which includes insulin, testing meters and strips, as well as other supplies. The shipment was sent to the Haitian Foundation for Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease, the only dedicated diabetes clinic in the country. It is believed to be still standing.

An additional shipment of diabetes supplies was sent to the Haiti Diabetes Foundation project coordinator in Washington, who traveled to Haiti on Sunday with the aid and has begun distributing it to those in need.

lol, daygloeyes, i just noticed that you quoted me in your signature. :D

i think that was one of my all time best responses to ZOOTVTOURist ever. :wink:

Amazing that people are still alive, 6 days later. NBC news just showed a clip of a woman being freed after 6 days. She had some broken bones in her hand, but seemed to be fine. They pulled her out, and when someone asked if she thought she would live, she answered:

"Yes. Why not?"

What a wonderful response.

Amazing that people are still alive, 6 days later. NBC news just showed a clip of a woman being freed after 6 days. She had some broken bones in her hand, but seemed to be fine. They pulled her out, and when someone asked if she thought she would live, she answered:

"Yes. Why not?"

Some station showed trapped survivors who were fortunate to be in a supermarket when it collapsed - they were in for about 6 days and looked great. One guy said he ate PB&J from his aisle.

i like to pretend this isn't happening. the stories that i've read are just too far-fetched for me to comprehend. it sounds like an apocalypse movie.

"Yes. Why not?"

Amazing wasnt' it? A miracle! She even started singing when they were pulling her out of rubble a song about not being afriad of death. WOW.

And I think Dr. Sanjay Gupta is incredible. He should get a Nobel Prize for his work there! He's been there since the quake happened dealing with all kinds of heartache besides performing life saving surgery and having to attend to patients ALONE after the first waive of International doctors (bless them) came in to assist but sadly were told incorrectly that they had to leave. It was a huge misunderstanding or something regarding security....I am sure there are other doctors not on TV that working just as hard as he is...
GOD BLESS THEM ALL!
They finally started to air drop supplies...it's about freakin time.

Did you see last night Larry King live telethon raised over 7 MILLION in 2-4hrs for Unicef and the Red Cross! So cool! This morning they said that someone (one of the celebs manning the phones) took a call from an elderly lady who didn't have a computer or a way to donate electronically and she was crying tears of joy becuase she so happy they had a phone bank and were taking donations the "old school" way! How precious.

I didn't want to give via my credit card because the credit card companies are actually charging transaction fees and whatever else they do and making money off of this. I don't care what they've donated, it's the principle. I don't want my cell phone company making money off it either. Usually I would give to the Red Cross so I just gave cash at my church.

Who is your CC company? Good gracious, that's insane. I donated to the Red Cross last week using my Chase card and all I was debited was the amount of the donation. If one of my CC's charged me a fee to make a tax deductible donation to a charitable institution I would change CC companies.

yeah, from what i heard, all CC companies were waiving the transaction fees for any donations made to Haiti.

To be perfectly honest, I make donations on a relatively frequent basis to various charitable institutions and my CC companies have never charged me any transaction fee, so I'm assuming it is particular CC companies that make a habit of this.

yeah, from what i heard, all CC companies were waiving the transaction fees for any donations made to Haiti.

That's not what I've read-as of yesterday. I even signed an online petition. It was all the major companies-Visa, MC, Discover, AmEx. So unless they've changed their tune because people found out, they are getting at least a 3% transaction fee.

To be perfectly honest, I make donations on a relatively frequent basis to various charitable institutions and my CC companies have never charged me any transaction fee, so I'm assuming it is particular CC companies that make a habit of this.

The CC companies would charge the charity/business, not the donor/consumer. It's how credit cards currently operate on a day-to-day basis.

How about some good news?

My boss and his wife are looking to adopt an orphaned boy in Haiti, preferably around the same age as their son (7) and an amputee, as my boss is a prosthetist and comes from a long line of prosthetists. :up:

The CC companies would charge the charity/business, not the donor/consumer. It's how credit cards currently operate on a day-to-day basis.

That's always been the case. The impression I got from the OP was that she was being charged transaction fees. I obviously misunderstood.

Last edited:
Is it common to have such strong aftershocks (or any aftershocks) over a week later? I thought they just occurred during the following day or two.

Sadly it is common, the aftershocks can happen weeks...even months after an earthquake of that magnitude. We are used to some of those here in SoCal.

Is it common to have such strong aftershocks (or any aftershocks) over a week later? I thought they just occurred during the following day or two.

that's what i thought too. something is definitely going down. not to talk "doomsday" or anything, but there have been other earthquakes around the world since last Tuesday. maybe this is normal after a major earthquake. i'm not sure.

Back
Top Bottom