RI School Bans Father Daughter Dances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Should that be taken away from all kids because one child can't participate and her mother complains? I don't even remember having a father daughter dance in any school, good thing because I can't imagine that I would have wanted to do it anyway.

What about proms or sports, kids who can't afford to participate in those? It seems as if they might have used the gender discrimination law to try to appease this mother.

Yes, nothing wrong with a "family dance" and all types of families deserve to participate. But I don't know, it still doesn't seem fair to take that away from all the kids because of one complaining mother. The gender stereotype is that every girl has a father and/or wants to dance with him?

By NBC News staff

The school system in Cranston, R.I., announced it is banning traditional father-daughter and mother-son activities, saying they are a violation of the state's gender discrimination law, the Providence Journal reported late Monday.

Superintendent Judith Lundsten told the newspaper the decision was in response to a complaint from the American Civil Liberties Union on behalf of a single mother who said her daughter was not able to attend a father-daughter dance.

“This is 2012 and they [public schools] should not be in the business of fostering blatant gender stereotypes,” Steven Brown of the Rhode Island ACLU told WPRO News.

According to the Providence Journal, Lundsten said that while federal law banning gender discrimination gives an exemption for such gender-specific events, Rhode Island law does not.

In a letter sent out in August, Lundsten says, “I acknowledge that many of these events have long traditions and for many parents, these types of gender-based events are not an issue, however, this is a public school system and under no circumstances should we be isolating any student from full participation in school activities and events based on gender," according to WPRO.

Sean Gately, a Republican state Senate candidate, brought the ban to light Monday, adding that, if elected, he would work to change the state law, the newspaper reported.

According to The Associated Press, School Committee member Janice Ruggieri said the school system can begin hosting "family dances" to accommodate all kinds of parenting situations.

"Superintendent Judith Lundsten told the newspaper the decision was in response to a complaint from the American Civil Liberties Union on behalf of a single mother who said her daughter was not able to attend a father-daughter dance."

This is the reason?

Yeah, I feel bad for the kid who is left out, of course, but at the same time, it's not really fair to the other kids who want to participate in this. Maybe the girl and her mother could find some mother-daughter event to attend instead?

Course, PhilsFan makes a good point-I too wasn't aware people still did these.

Seems to me it should be banned simply on the grounds of being a creepy idea.

Seems to me it should be banned simply on the grounds of being a creepy idea.

Exactly!

I think there are some parent/child activities that can be good, but father/daughter dances (mother/son dances too) creep me out. :no:

The whole parent-child dance does seem a bit outdated. I'm also surprised that it is still going on.

I'd never heard of a father-daughter dance outside of weddings and those creepy-ass "purity balls" or whatever they're called. Why on earth would a school have something where daughters and fathers dance together? That's bizarre.

and those creepy-ass "purity balls" or whatever they're called.

Now those are disturbing :yikes:

Yeah, I would think teenagers want to distance themselves from their parents as much as possible, rather than go to a dance with them.

Is this the incest thread that was suggested we start?

:lmao:

I'd never heard of a father-daughter dance outside of weddings and those creepy-ass "purity balls" or whatever they're called. Why on earth would a school have something where daughters and fathers dance together? That's bizarre.

Oh man, purity balls, now there's a fucked-up idea.

I'm honestly surprised to see some comments along the lines of "I'm surprised this old-fashioned event still exists", since it's not something I've ever heard of, either as a dead tradition or a contemporary event. Either way, how utterly creepy. I wouldn't go to a dance with my mother, and if I were a father, no way in hell would I go to a dance with my daughter. I'd hope she's off dancing with a nice guy her own bloody age.

I'm surprised by all the horror over the idea.

Are any of you parents?

have you seen this movie?

blame-it-on-rio.jpg

key_art_blame_it_on_rio.jpg

I've seen it more than once, and each time the father's behavior is despicable

Last edited:

MV5BMzg1NTYzODMzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDYwMTUyMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR4,0,214,317_.jpg

The image isn't showing up so I don't know what movie you're talking about.

I'm surprised by all the horror over the idea.

Are any of you parents?

I'm not, so maybe my mind will change when I get to be one.

My relationship with my dad has always been dysfunctional, so maybe that is what influences my viewpoint on this subject. :shrug:

I'm not, so maybe my mind will change when I get to be one.

My relationship with my dad has always been dysfunctional, so maybe that is what influences my viewpoint on this subject. :shrug:

Mine too.

I might have felt the same, but now that I am parent if I had a daughter (I have a son and another on the way) I think I would enjoy that.

I didn't grow up in a culture of dancing though and can't dance at all myself, so maybe it's just something that I don't understand? :shrug: Does dancing always have a sexual connotation that would then make it creepy for parents and children to do together?

blame-it-on-rio.jpg

key_art_blame_it_on_rio.jpg

I have not, but I just read about it on Wikipedia. What does this have to do with the Father-daughter dance? Oh wait, maybe you're just explaining your comment about the fathers checking out the daughters. . .

I just find the concept of a school-related dance where parents are not only invited but encouraged to dance with their kids in front of their peers baffling. Or that there are kids (assuming teenagers) who would agree to this. I didn't put any sexual connotations with it.

The purity balls, however, are a whole 'nother ball of wax. And even then, it's not the dancing that's creepy about it.

I have not, but I just read about it on Wikipedia. What does this have to do with the Father-daughter dance? Oh wait, maybe you're just explaining your comment about the fathers checking out the daughters. . .

Not being a parent, I am not heavily invested in this.
I do see more down sides than up sides. And yes if these are high school girls, some of the other dads could be distracted by. 17 year old girls, especially when some teens have no qualms about texting nude pictures of themselves.

There are plenty of things for parents to do in their opt in groups, such as churches, or other community, or club groups.

And then in these times of inclusiveness, a girl could have two mothers.

I am sure step-dads would not be excluded. A 17 year old could have a younger step-dad. He could be 25. :shrug:

When I was in the 9th grade. A classmate was married to a 40 year old man. Her step-daughter was in two years older and on the cheer-leading squad with my sister.

I got on just fine with my dad, but I don't recall us ever doing anything like this. I don't think the concept is creepy, though, personally-I can see where some would think that, but if it's simply a fun party situation for parents and children to bond in, then whatever, that's fine. I just can't imagine too many teenagers today jumping at the chance to do such an event. But I suppose there's some who like it, who knows.

But I definitely agree on the purity balls being creepy.

Does dancing always have a sexual connotation that would then make it creepy for parents and children to do together?

No, but simple dancing between parents and children may seem awkward to some. Also, parents may act silly, or silly according to teenagers who usually are embarrassed by their parents in public.

The purity balls, however, are a whole 'nother ball of wax. And even then, it's not the dancing that's creepy about it.

I swear, when I hear term "purity balls" I either seethe with anger or want to take a quick shower immediately. It sounds so icky, and misogynistic as well.

Back
Top Bottom