Republican Convention Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm curious how this "rally the base" strategery will play in a Republican party at a low ebb in party identification. I don't think the same strategy will work in 2008 as it did in 2000 or 04.

Also a little confused on her super ninja abilities- is both catnip for the base and a secret weapon to get independent voters?

My independent, conservative leaning mother strongly disliked her speech. My conservative father thought she was a good speaker but that the speech was forgettable and average.

The term BRILLIANTLY SIMPLE comes to mind. The "attacks" on Obama were not vicious at all. She spoke quite eloquently and at quite length about McCain and, much less than I was thinking, about herself. The line that won the night was obvious...THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A PITBULL AND A HOCKEY MOM? LIPSTICK!!!

I'm afraid it was quite a good speech and one that will win the hearts of many independents, mom's and small town American's.

well said.

actually obama is only half the man she is.

<>

When did she? :scratch:

Why have Bristol, holding the baby, sit next to Cindy McCain? Why not the youngest daughter? Why not the girl's fiance? Why not SP's parents?

Why mention--in the biggest speech of her political career--that her family has the same ups and downs as the rest of us...clearly referencing the pregnancy?

Why use her son as an appeal to parents of kids with special needs?

The line that won the night was obvious...THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A PITBULL AND A HOCKEY MOM? LIPSTICK!!!

This is the line that almost made me retch. There's something there bothering me big time that I just can't put my finger on yet.

So let me get this straight:
hockey mom = qualified to run stuff
community organizer = irresponsible boob

I wonder if all those independents who volunteer in their communities will like having community organizers mocked for having NO RESPONSIBILITIES. I guess all that talk of "service for your country" yesterday went out the window today. Way to reach out.

My name has appeared in the local newspaper more than once, followed by community activist.

I know many community activist and organizers.

Not me or any of them ever thought we were preparing to be POTUS.

We obviously didn't watch the same speech.

I'm talking about the whole night, not just one speech. Palin's speech spent too much time on her family and not enough time on her, and yes, there was too much mockery.

But the most disgusting mockery was easily Guiliani's speech. He is dispicable. As is Romney.

I'd never vote for Huckabee, but at least the man made an attempt at respecting the other side and having a little class.

My independent, conservative leaning mother strongly disliked her speech. My conservative father thought she was a good speaker but that the speech was forgettable and average.

If your Mother is "conservative leaning" then why on earth did she not like this speech??????? Hey, it wasn't "I Have a Dream" but there was absolutely nothing in it that should have anyone claiming to be "conservative leaning" disliking it.

This is the line that almost made me retch. There's something there bothering me big time that I just can't put my finger on yet.

So let me get this straight:
hockey mom = qualified to run stuff
community organizer = irresponsible boob

I thought hockey mom = chauffer (sp?), you boob!
:wink:

Why have Bristol, holding the baby, sit next to Cindy McCain? Why not the youngest daughter? Why not the girl's fiance? Why not SP's parents?

Wow. You should get some fresh air. You are reading waaay to much into this...

Why mention--in the biggest speech of her political career--that her family has the same ups and downs as the rest of us...clearly referencing the pregnancy?

No... maybe she was just referencing ups and downs that all families face...

I missed the first few minutes of the speech, so I must have missed when this happened. Nonetheless, I'm sure people who want to make something of it will make something of it.

i was waiting for a post like this, no comment other than its nice it sometimes its nice to see a family before a village to raise a child.

<>

If your Mother is "conservative leaning" then why on earth did she not like this speech??????? Hey, it wasn't "I Have a Dream" but there was absolutely nothing in it that should have anyone claiming to be "conservative leaning" disliking it.

Shockingly, your opinion is not the end all be all of viewpoints. You may not be the expert on American politics you hold yourself to be. It probably doesn't help that you don't live here and don't deal with the same day-to-day issues that we Americans do. The kinds of issues that would give you context as to why an independent and, yes, conservative leaning person like my mother might disagree with a speech even if it's directed at conservatives and made by a conservative.

So let me get this straight. You guys think nothing in this convention will be appealing to independents, but the total bashing of President Bush and the endless hyping of Obama and the shameless partisanship of the Democratic convention IS appealing to independents? :scratch:

I expect nothing less from FYM.

So let me get this straight. You guys think nothing in this convention will be appealing to independents, but the total bashing of President Bush and the endless hyping of Obama and the shameless partisanship of the Democratic convention IS appealing to independents? :scratch:

President Bush = 30% approval rating. Yes, Bush-bashing appeals to independents.

So let me get this straight. You guys think nothing in this convention will be appealing to independents, but the total bashing of President Bush ....IS appealing to independents? :scratch:

YES.

Are you missing the part where the entire country minus the far right 20% hates the man?

But the most disgusting mockery was easily Guiliani's speech. He is dispicable. As is Romney.

I'd never vote for Huckabee, but at least the man made an attempt at respecting the other side and having a little class.

Agreed 100%. The mockery was ridiculous and cheap!

I don't know what you were looking at but watching the convention tonight I saw the total bashing of Obama and the endless hyping of McCain and Palin and the shameless partisanship of the Republican convention. It goes both ways, they're conventions.

Do you know what a convention is? You're criticizing hyping of Obama at the Democratic convention? Really? There wasn't hyping of McCain at the Republican convention? Is that right?

And there was partisanship on both sides, but only the Republican's was what I would call "shameless."

And, frankly, I think some bashing of Bush is warranted after eight years, and I think plenty of independents are fed up with Bush.

There's a lot of non-FYM regulars posting in here tonight.

But really, it's all nothing less than what 2816 would expect of FYM.

YES.

Are you missing the part where the entire country minus the far right 20% hates the man?

Well, by that factor alone, this convention IS appealing to independents. There have been many jabs at the pathetic Congress, which has a worse rating than the President... :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom