Random FYM Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Van Jones has a new show on CNN tonight at 7. I love Van Jones, and I think he's so attractive so that's a plus.

Then it's Celtics vs Golden State. Those are my Sat night plans.

I'm sure no one else watched it but I loved the Van Jones interview with Jay Z. He's a smart guy, obviously. Didn't get where he is by being anything other than that. But I also just like him so much. I also enjoyed Van's ride through Charlottesville with the Trump supporters too, illuminating I suppose.

Couldn't even stay awake for the entire b ball game, that's my life these days.

I'm sure no one else watched it but I loved the Van Jones interview with Jay Z. He's a smart guy, obviously. Didn't get where he is by being anything other than that. But I also just like him so much. I also enjoyed Van's ride through Charlottesville with the Trump supporters too, illuminating I suppose.

Couldn't even stay awake for the entire b ball game, that's my life these days.

Apparently Trump watched it too ;)

Apparently Trump watched it too ;)

Well you caught me. We watched it together, in our pyjamas. One thing led to another, and...

I thought he never watched CNN because it's low rated fake news. I just picture him chowing down on McDonalds and obsessively watching CNN. Rage tweeting in between bites.

Official portraits of President Obama and Michelle, for the National Portrait Gallery. Painted by African American artists.

I can only imagine the field day some people will have with these. To me hers does not capture her beauty at all, the face doesn't even look like hers.

5a81b9da2100003800600f5b.jpg

5a81b8fc1e00002c007ab6fc.jpeg

The artistry in both those portraits in extraordinary, and both are compelling in their own way.

I do think that the criticism of Michelle's is valid...it doesn't look much like her, and it doesn't do justice to the dynamic personality, strength, and grace of this woman, a First Lady whom I regard to be one of the finest. Though in terms of style, the portrait represents incredible skill, and is compelling it its own way.

The portrait of President Obama is striking, and also masterful. But frankly speaking it also reflects his Titanic size ego. It has a "look show special and extraordinary I am" pretension about it that I find a little off putting. This is clearly a person who believes his own hype (to use a phrase the President previously used to describe himself). I understand the inclination to not do just another boring portrait set in the Oval Office, but I think in this case they went a little over the top.

Both of these are eye catching, unique portraits for their kind and will certainly stand out among the portraits of their predecessors. Which, of course, is the whole idea.

Last edited:
The portrait of President Obama is striking, and also masterful. But frankly speaking it also reflects his Titanic size ego. It has a "look show special and extraordinary I am" pretension about it that I find a little off putting. This is clearly a person who believes his own hype.

:rolleyes: it's literally just a picture of him sitting in a chair, but okay.

Hannity, I mean Nick I think may have looked at the wrong painting.

That's not even good rubbish!

People I don't care for, or disagree with, I can still engage with. People I don't respect? Not so much. I've grown weary of your idiocy.

Are you sure you want to add BVS to your ignore list?

You're the first. There's a feather in your cap! No need to reply. ;)

Last edited:
That's not even good rubbish!

People I don't care for, or disagree with, I can still engage with. People I don't respect? Not so much. I've grown weary of your idiocy.

You're the first. There's a feather in your cap! No need to reply. ;)

I know it’s only Feb, but this might be the overreaction of the year.

You can dish a lot smug shit and name calling, but this for a tongue-in-cheek post? I think kids these days would call that some snowflake shit. I’m not sure if I’m going to be able take this.

:wave:

Wow I started all of this by that post. Who woulda thunk it?

All it takes is some Googling to see some of the very stylized portraits of other Presidents. For the National Portrait Gallery, not the White House.

All Presidents have large egos, to one extent or another. Your "rant" about Obama's ego Nick came out of left field as far as the portrait is concerned. It does sound Hannityesque too, sorry.

The background is related to colors and fauna of Hawaii, I believe. If that is what supposedly is indicative of his Titanic ego. I can't wait to get my Pete Souza photo book and fawn all over his massive ego display.

Trump should be painted as a centaur, like ARod. Trump probably already has one hanging over a gold toilet somewhere.

All Presidents have large egos, to one extent or another. Your "rant" about Obama's ego Nick came out of left field as far as the portrait is concerned. It does sound Hannityesque too, sorry.

Wait...what? So I was complimentary of the artists, complimentary of the technique, complimentary of the style, very complimentary of Michelle Obama, and because I said President Obama's ego was reflected in his painting I'm "Hannityesque"?

I'm not sure how my comment about the President Obama's "Titanic sized ego" could be "Hannityesque" given that those words came directly from former DNC chair Donna Brazille (who herself is simply restating what many people who know the President have written). So if anything, my comment was "Brazilesque."

Anyway, what happened to de gustibus non eat disputandum? Maybe we can disagree about art interpretation without bringing freaking Sean Hannity into it?

Last edited:
I just don't get how that portrait reflects in any way his Titanic sized ego. Frankly it looks like he's sitting on a toilet, albeit one with a beautiful backdrop.

Just like Hannity would do, perhaps you're interpreting it with preconceived ideas. Just as I would interpret any portrait of cadet bone spurs.

I just don't get how that portrait reflects in any way his Titanic sized ego. Frankly it looks like he's sitting on a toilet, albeit one with a beautiful backdrop.

Just like Hannity would do, perhaps you're interpreting it with preconceived ideas. Just as I would interpret any portrait of cadet bone spurs.

From an art perspective it speaks the opposite. People are talking about the background as much as they are the subject, hell he’s even becoming part of the background in areas. If you want ego you show yourself in a stance of strength, you mute the background or put yourself in front of a mantle or Corinthian columns. This just came off as how dare he do something different than all the other white presidents, he really does believe the hype doesn’t he?

It’s the khaki suit all over again.

For Trump ill accept a portrait of him behind bars or in bed with a cheeseburger

For Trump ill accept a portrait of him behind bars or in bed with a cheeseburger

Lol. I did these in my spare time...not really of course but I love the sentiments behind them. I think Trump used some of the money from his "foundation" to buy some massive portrait of himself. That and a Tim Tebow football or shirt. Btw the flowers and leaves behind President Obama represent Chicago, Hawaii, and Africa.

6113dc99ea2c05b8dc6ca7f91d366ad3.jpg

7d66c6c1bf735eb02beddb632f417e05.jpg

I suspect Nick is referring to the "I'm so different and so much more humble than the rest" nature of Obama's portrait. While I know zilch about art, that was my first reaction to it.

And frankly I reckon the leaves are just weird. I just don't associate his presidency with leaves... Can someone arty tell me the symbolic meaning of it?

Back
Top Bottom