Random FYM Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you watched films from the 30s and 40s and noticed how well dressed people were when they were out and about?

i'm sure rich white male filmmakers living in the hollywood hills in the 1930s and 1940s did a fantastic job of capturing the daily realities of life for the average american during the great depression and world war 2.

I guess when you're voting a reality tv star as president then you actually believe tv to be real?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Have you watched films from the 30s and 40s and noticed how well dressed people were when they were out and about?

That came to mind during my last visit to Walmart.

Doug Robinson: Have Americans gone too casual? | Deseret News
yes, the 30s were such a fantastic time for everyone. everyone dressed so nice. ohhh, you meant rich white people...

that article is a laugh. walking around like that is hardly an american anomaly. americans take it to an extreme, what with the sweats in public and such, but this article acts as if no other country wears shorts outdoors. one of those photos even shows a man in a tank top. this so-called casual look is not new, despite what hollywood would like you to believe.

ftr that fourth pic is in los angeles, so these aren't all derelict photos of nebraska and iowa or anything :)

Without going to the opposite extreme, of ridiculing everything just because it's Iron Horse or whatever, it's worth noting that a few generations ago, for regular people, photos - even non-studio photos - were more of a special deal. And so they can give a skewed idea of what people wore as a matter of course.

really, it does seem there are allowable and preferred posting patterns

circulating the wagons around Hillary :up:

mocking other candidates :up:

oh yeah, fuck Ted Cruz

Well don't get too carried away, I'm not a fan of his faux-folksy wisdom to put it mildly. As for you, I assume you are a performance artist of sorts. Nor am I a fan of 98% of what gets posted in this subforum. Basically I'm not on any of your sides. But yeah, there's too much easy piling on at times.

I don't believe in sides, not much of a joiner myself

I do prefer reasoned arguments more than lazy ones

when that is not preferred in here , I may throw a little shit at the fan (if i am artist i am a poor man's pollack)

Basically I'm not on any of your sides. But yeah, there's too much easy piling on at times.
that's good :up:

Without going to the opposite extreme, of ridiculing everything just because it's Iron Horse or whatever, it's worth noting that a few generations ago, for regular people, photos - even non-studio photos - were more of a special deal. And so they can give a skewed idea of what people wore as a matter of course.
you're definitely right that people used to dress up more, even when not taking professional photos. i just found it a bit odd to pick the 30s and 40s. the 40s, yeah i can see. but to say the 30s i just found laughable and seemed a bit revisionist.

Well yeah, it's revisionist, and I don't really buy into it. I'd say that people, even people who weren't rich or white, might occasionally have been caught in the 1930s wearing a suit coat and hat, or a 'good' dress (I have a photo of my grandparents outside a church one Sunday circa 1937 dressed exactly that way, and trust me, they were as poor as dirt), but outside of the professional world it was never an everyday thing.

In fact, at least from the 1940s onward, I'm struck (again, photos can only tell a partial story) by how much some casual or everyday sort of wear resembles more modern times. Some combination of a shirt and slacks, some combination of pants or jeans and a tshirt, you can see all of this in some form from the 1950s on, and certainly from the 1960s on, in many people's photo albums.

As a rough rule of thumb, modern high level political and corporate figures dress like early 20th century professionals. Early twentieth century political elites often dressed in the kind of aristocratic wear that is now consigned to Ascot race day and the most ultra formal of occasions.

Last edited:
Bundys Shocked to Find Out Jail Is an Awful Place - Vegas Seven

Whether from personal experience or basic logic, most of us know that jail isn’t vacation and you can’t make up your own rules in a courtroom. Yet those realizations still elude Ammon and Ryan Bundy.

The brothers are members of Nevada’s notorious Bundy family and led the occupation of the Malheur Wildlife Ranch in Oregon earlier this year. Awaiting their September 7 trial, the pair has been incarcerated for several months at Multnomah County Detention Center, which they seem to believe is a Motel 6 that isn’t quite earning its 2 1/2 stars.

It began in May, when the Bundys complained about not having internet access in their cells, citing a need to post on Facebook and send emails. They also demanded a printer, scanner, video editing software and comfortable chairs, as well as permission to socialize with each other and their co-defendants whenever they wished. Ammon Bundy declared that he was going to sue the jail for violating his civil rights, especially his Second Amendment rights. Because people in jail should be allowed to keep their guns. After all, the place is full of criminals.

That’s not the only ridiculous legal action the Bundys have thrown at the judges like monkeys fling poo:

• Ammon Bundy filed to dismiss all charges on the basis that the federal government has no authority over the refuge and, thus, no standing to prosecute him. Incredibly, the court did not agree.

• In July, Ryan Bundy filed “legal” paperwork declaring that “I, ryan c, man, am an idiot of the ‘Legal Society’; and; am an idiot (layman, outsider) of the ‘Bar Association’; and; i am incompetent.” No, our copy editor didn’t just have a stroke: It’s part of sovereign-citizen theory that randomly scattered semicolons can bring the entire legal system to a grinding halt.

• In the same filing, Ryan Bundy demanded $100 million to play the “role” of “defendant” during the trail. Shit, for that kind of money, they could hire Johnny Depp to play him, Leonardo DiCaprio as Ammon and have enough to bring them both back for the sequel.

Incarceration does seem to be getting to at least one of the brothers. When guards searched Ryan Bundy’s cell in July, they found hidden food, clothing and a rope made out of sheets and towels. Bundy claims that he was just a “rancher trying to practice braiding rope.” (The rope was only about 12 feet, and the tower from which he was trying to escape from is more than 200 feet tall: Maybe they should have let him go for it.) Three weeks later, he began struggling with U.S. marshals during transport and had to be restrained.

Ryan Bundy has now been moved into more restrictive accommodations. It should only be another week or two before he starts whining about how “disciplinary housing” doesn’t have enough towels and no one will give him the Wi-Fi password.

I don't know why it would be such a mystery that people would dress up for planned photos during a time when they would have to have them taken, developed, and printed by a professional photographer. They also had to dial an operator to place a call. Now the vast majority of the world has the technology to do both those things, with a small computer that fits in their pocket.

:shrug:

Hell, surely most of us have experiences of dressing well for a family portrait when we were kids, or our parents making us look good for the annual class photo at school. How much did that reflect daily reality? Imperfectly.

If you just take my school photos and the couple of photo shoots my family did when I was a kid, and even if you add in the photos my grandfather would take at big events like Christmas/Boxing Day, you'd think we usually dressed very well. You'd need the rolls of film from everyday shots around the house or day trips to the beach or holidays to get a proper impression. With only 24 photos or whatever per roll and developing them not being that cheap, we didn't go crazy with it. This was the 1990s and early 2000s.

So no wonder photos from eighty years ago look formal.

I don't know why it would be such a mystery that people would dress up for planned photos during a time when they would have to have them taken, developed, and printed by a professional photographer. They also had to dial an operator to place a call. Now the vast majority of the world has the technology to do both those things, with a small computer that fits in their pocket.

:shrug:

Is this in response to something I said? Cause I wasn't claiming that anything was a mystery.

Sometimes I fantasise about how it would be if someone had managed to develop a working photographic process in the time of Cromwell, say. I believe a lot of the principles were there, in principle, but working, not so much.

As it is, between the high-water mark of Roman portrait sculpture (we have a really good idea of what Pompey the Great, Julius Caesar and Sulla looked like, in part because that republic's veneration of seniority and experience really let all the jowls, wrinkles and baldness show), and the perfection of European painting techniques in the sixteenth to eighteenth centuries, what a lot of people looked like is a little bit fuzzy. I'm just taking the European tradition as an example, since, well, it's where I come from ultimately.

Looks like some sort of explosive device was dropped in a dumpster on 23rd Street. 2 dozen or so minor injuries is the report currently. Lots of windows blown out, but doesn't seem to be more than that.

Was also two pipe bombs that went off on the Jersey Shore this morning. Wonder if it's connected. UN week is coming.

There's also a oil leak in Alabama, and that has cut off oil supplies in the south. I have a sister in NC who says the local stations are running out of gas.

She thinks the leak is related to the explosions in NY and NJ. I think she's out of her mind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom