Rahm Emanuel's father in racist outburst

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
Rahm Emanuel apologizes for father's disparaging remarks about Arabs

By Reuters

U.S. President-elect Barack Obama's chief of staff Rahm Emanuel apologized to an Arab-American group on Thursday for comments disparaging Arabs made by his father.

The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee sent a letter to Emanuel calling on him to distance himself from remarks made by the elder Emanuel in an interview with an Israeli newspaper following his son's appointment last week.

In the interview, Benjamin Emanuel was reported as saying: "Obviously, he will influence the president to be pro-Israel. Why wouldn't he? What is he, an Arab? He's not going to clean the floors of the White House."

While some political analysts have said Rahm Emanuel, a veteran Democratic congressman, should not be held responsible for the actions of his father, there was also a sense that an apology was unavoidable.

Rahm Emanuel apologizes for father's disparaging remarks about Arabs - Haaretz - Israel News

Hmmm. Let's see if this will get as much attention on FYM as if a prominent Republican's father had made a similar statement. My guess is, no.

I don't know that he has to apologize for his father.

But his father sounds like a racist pig, for what it's worth.

"And the eyes of the world are watching now, watching now.." - Biko, Peter Gabriel

I would also like to say that aside from sounding like a racist pig, his father also seems to be very stupidly furthering the notion of the "Jews control America from within" line of thinking.

yes, it makes them entirely okay.

his son is a Democrat, that means he can say whatever he wants and i'm going to fall over in justifications.

is there anything else you'd like this evening?

The comments were made by the father of the Chief of Staff of the President elect of the United States of America, whereas Mel Gibson is some actor with no political position.

It is by no means unreasonable to suspect that the father has influenced the son with regard to political outlook or, as in this case, racist attitudes - as you yourself have alleged with regard to Papa Gibson, now that I think of it!

The comments were made by the father of the Chief of Staff of the President elect of the United States of America, whereas Mel Gibson is some actor with no political position.

It is by no means unreasonable to suspect that the father has influenced the son with regard to political outlook or, as in this case, racist attitudes - as you yourself have alleged with regard to Papa Gibson, now that I think of it!

OMG! the double standards! you've exposed the left-liberal hypocrisy in startling terms! wow!

I would also like to say that aside from sounding like a racist pig, his father also seems to be very stupidly furthering the notion of the "Jews control America from within" line of thinking.
Yep. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon for Israelis of Benjamin Emanuel's generation (b. Jerusalem 1927, to Russian-Jewish refugees; emigrated 1953) to hold these kinds of particularly crude prejudices towards Arabs.
no Mel Gibson-like defense yet...
Right; Mel Gibson repeatedly refused (when asked point-blank) to repudiate or criticize his father, and went on to have a racist outburst of his own.
"And the eyes of the world are watching now, watching now.." - Biko, Peter Gabriel
Yes, doubtless Rahm Emanuel has a history of abducting, chaining up and clubbing political opponents to death, and that's why Obama picked him.

Last edited:
"Today, Rep. Emanuel called Mary Rose Oakar, president of the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee, apologized on behalf of his family and offered to meet with representatives of the Arab-American community at an appropriate time in the future," a statement from his office said.

The committee, in a statement on its website, said Emanuel told Oakar it was unacceptable to make such remarks against any ethnic or religious group.

"From the fullness of my heart, I personally apologize on behalf of my family and me. These are not the values upon which I was raised or those of my family," the group quoted him as saying.

Oakar welcomed the apology, saying: "We cannot allow Arabs and Muslims to be portrayed in these unacceptable terms."

He apologized and repudiated his father's remarks. What more would you like him to do?

Yes, doubtless Rahm Emanuel has a history of abducting, chaining up and clubbing political opponents to death, and that's why Obama picked him.

That gave me the loudest laugh Inteference has given me in weeks.

And I thank you for that.

Haha, we liberals and our media. This will never be a big story! Ever! We are in control!

:hi5:

I think he needs to stop attending his father and find a new, less radical one.

he sat in his father's house for at least 18 years and never once said anything.

his father will probably be there when his children get married.

heck, his father was probably there when he got married.

We don't choose our parents, we do choose our preachers, please continue this analogue and illustrate where the lack of judgement sits.

Never! We must continue to browbeat conservatives and oppress the white male.

NO ROOM FOR HUMOR IN OUR CRUSADE.

It's the nature of our species, but that wasn't the point of the post.

It isn't a conspiracy against conservatives that leads to stories like this getting ignored on FYM, it simply doesn't matter.

Of course its funny watching the crypto-Muslim Obama appoint a Jew as his chief of staff and see some stoppers heads explode.

The stretches this poster makes to try and shine some light on the "left" are astonishing...

Is your real name Ken Starr by any chance?

His father is a racist zionist asshole, his older brother is a prominent ethicist on the wrong side of the debate he's dedicated his life to, and his younger brother is a cutthroat hollywood asshole. He is a cutthroat DC asshole, and the little adopted sister had 2 kids who she left their mother to raise. It's a really great family. But I do think he'll be a good chief of staff, and also that he might get fired sooner or later when Bush's shit keeps hitting Obama's fan midway through the term.

Back
Top Bottom