Racist Police Response to Ferguson Protests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A majority of people in Texas don't support it. Majority should rule; as it always has. Not everyone is going to be happy about every decision. That's why, like I said, California can legalize it. The majority of their population will support it.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Maybe here is where I should say "screw you, you bring nothing to the conversation"?

Nah, that's how someone who can't debate would counter this.

Majority rule doesn't trump equality for all citizens. What if one state wanted to legalize segregation? Or one state wanted to discriminate against Jewish people? Would you still say that "not everyone is going to be happy about every decision?"

Fair counterpoint, but totally different. Gay people have rights. They can vote, use the same utilities, etc. They have the same rights just as everyone else. They can also get married in nearly every state now. Let me say this though, I absolutely am disgusted when people compare gay marriage to slavery (I know you're only referring to segregation). Black people were tortured and oppressed, had no rights, and only 3 out of every 5 of them even were counted as a human being. Thank God for men like MLK and Frederick Douglas for the contributions they made towards a real inequality issue imo. Gay people are treated better in this country than almost anywhere else in the world, so I don't get all the fuss.
I know these are very sensitive issues and I'm trying not to totally insult everyone, as that is not my intention. However, I'm really tired of the fact that if anyone opposes gay marriage, they're the scum of the earth. From a personal perspective, I do not support gay marriage from a religious point of view. However, religion should not dictate our government, as it was never designed to do so. There are many legal and conflicting ramifications throughout our country and because they have just as many rights as anyone, except for marriage in a few states, that it should be a state issue.

Anyone that argues that states should decide for themselves is making the state's rights argument. That worked for segregation, Jim Crow laws, and slavery, until it didn't.

10th Amendment

Maybe here is where I should say "screw you, you bring nothing to the conversation"?

Nah, that's how someone who can't debate would counter this.

Well. Since you don't bring anything to any debate you've ever been in, your opinion is absolutely worthless.

Fair counterpoint, but totally different. Gay people have rights. They can vote, use the same utilities, etc. They have the same rights just as everyone else.

No, they don't have the same rights as everyone else, that's the whole point.

No, they don't have the same rights as everyone else, that's the whole point.

What exactly besides getting married can they not do? Do we throw them in jail?...Stone them?... Like they do in the Middle East and Russia....

What exactly besides getting married can they not do? Do we throw them in jail?...Stone them?... Like they do in the Middle East and Russia....

There are financial, governmental, and healthcare benefits that come with marriage, it's not just a ceremony.

Your Middle East comment is just as bad as the slavery comparison that you JUST commented on, way to go.

Your Middle East comment is just as bad as the slavery comparison that you JUST commented on, way to go.

How so? Same group of people. Comparing how much better they are treated here than in other places around the world.

How so? Same group of people. Comparing how much better they are treated here than in other places around the world.

Really? Would you justify denying Jews certain rights by saying, "well we treat you better than Hitler so deal with it"?

It's such an interesting experience when people talk about you like you're not in the room.

Sent from

You're just a group of people, but come on we don't jail you here, be grateful.

I have some neighbors in classic Orange County So-Cal Suburbia...they are self described "partners"...they had a wonderful Christmas party and most of the neighbors attended. Yes, they invited some of their more "flamboyant" friends and yes, the one partner asked me several times if I was scared...I guess I give off a corn-cob-in-butt-vibe...but I said to him, "you know- my Grandma told me long ago that our goal in life is to create positive memories-and you're doing that. Thank you, I'm having fun!"

The point is this - the more time I spend around gay people, the less I even think about out. EVERY person has a story, an interesting one...if you take a moment to listen.

I have some neighbors in classic Orange County So-Cal Suburbia...they are self described "partners"...they had a wonderful Christmas party and most of the neighbors attended. Yes, they invited some of their more "flamboyant" friends and yes, the one partner asked me several times if I was scared...I guess I give off a corn-cob-in-butt-vibe...but I said to him, "you know- my Grandma told me long ago that our goal in life is to create positive memories-and you're doing that. Thank you, I'm having fun!"

The point is this - the more time I spend around gay people, the less I even think about out. EVERY person has a story, an interesting one...if you take a moment to listen.

It's good to see growth :up: Happy New Year.

:up:

Yes, they invited some of their more "flamboyant" friends and yes, the one partner asked me several times if I was scared...I guess I give off a corn-cob-in-butt-vibe...QUOTE]

There are so many jokes that can be made with this line that I'm at a loss to choose only one.

So make your own, folks.

:wink:

Their logic seems to be, "Sorry that all of you entitled white collar people might have been a little late to work!" as though those are the only people who could possibly need to use the highway :slant:

And how they think this will make the general public more sympathetic to their cause is mind boggling. It will have the opposite effect. Nobody will take this group seriously here now, everyone thinks they are just out to create anarchy for anarchy's sake.

Their logic seems to be, "Sorry that all of you entitled white collar people might have been a little late to work!" as though those are the only people who could possibly need to use the highway :slant:

Yeah, they don't care because most of them don't even have jobs.

I don't blame them, really. Protesting isn't really meant to be convenient, is it?

It really is appalling that people are more concerned with protestors blocking traffic rather than the issues that the protesters are protesting against.

It really is appalling that people are more concerned with protestors blocking traffic rather than the issues that the protesters are protesting against.

I think you're missing what the problem is. That's certainly not where I'm coming from, at any rate.

There was a car crash victim that had to be rerouted because the highway was blocked up. How does that help anything?

That's definitely a very unfortunate occurrence, without a doubt. It's unlikely I'm going to see eye to eye with you on this, but I wanted to know if you feel the same way when you hear about/see images of protest movements around the world where they occupy heavily used roads etc?

Agreed, in general.

Back
Top Bottom