Racism: glorified hyperbole in America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Meanwhile, though, Oregoropa meanders on out of her without addressing the actual question. It's just infuriating.

Meanwhile, though, Oregoropa meanders on out of her without addressing the actual question. It's just infuriating.

Sorry, had to drive for 2 hours. I read the article. Radicalization of whites. Is it OK to read an essay and find it a bit hyperbolic? I don't see a great uprising of white supremacy. Just because hundreds of counties flipped to Trump in the heartland doesn't mean the Fourth Reich is rising in the Rust Belt. Irvine, are you trying to warn us, or just looking for another reason to justify Trump's win?

Is this the narrative that is driving the Democratic party? So much so that a candidate running for the chair of the party says it is her job to "shut white people up"

Sure white privilege exists. I get her general gist. The matter of importance to the Democratic party is up to them. As a matter of political strategy to have a chairwoman 'shut white people up' is disastrous for the party.

The thread was dormant until 2 postings before mine today. I'm not going back to the November conversation.

With the article posted the general topic of the nexus of race-politics seemed to be an interesting place to plant a counter-flag.

You could call it deflection. I'm just curious on the thought process of both sides.

Better than me being snarky and just reply "Scary"

Sorry, had to drive for 2 hours. I read the article. Radicalization of whites. Is it OK to read an essay and find it a bit hyperbolic? I don't see a great uprising of white supremacy. Just because hundreds of counties flipped to Trump in the heartland doesn't mean the Fourth Reich is rising in the Rust Belt. Irvine, are you trying to warn us, or just looking for another reason to justify Trump's win?

Is this the narrative that is driving the Democratic party? So much so that a candidate running for the chair of the party says it is her job to "shut white people up"

Sure white privilege exists. I get her general gist. The matter of importance to the Democratic party is up to them. As a matter of political strategy to have a chairwoman 'shut white people up' is disastrous for the party.

A rise? Maybe not, an emboldening? Yes, which leads to a rise.

But it's much more important to focus on her use of "shut white people up", even if we agree about the context. You just don't talk about white folk like that.

But it's much more important to focus on her use of "shut white people up", even if we agree about the context. You just don't talk about white folk like that.

. . . and expect to prevent a supermajority of the GOP in the Senate.

I'm sure this a situation many in here would like to avoid. The Democratic needs to figure out how to advance social justice while at the same time maintain the governance to achieve those goals. IE 2018 Midterms.

From a political standpoint it may not be an easy thing to do.

Oregoropa, I apologize, I made a mistake. I thought Irvine had posted about this:

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/31...-supremacist-infiltration-of-law-enforcement/

I guess I read the article around the time Irvine posted and just made an assumption. I could've sworn I clicked the link to be sure, but I was mistaken. I am very sorry, while you may have been a bit flippant (though as you say, you were driving) your post was clearly in line with Irvine's. I made a mistake.

But this does raise a valid counterpoint to your argument that there is not a white supremacy uprising upon us.

. . . and expect to prevent a supermajority of the GOP in the Senate.

I'm sure this a situation many in here would like to avoid. The Democratic needs to figure out how to advance social justice while at the same time maintain the governance to achieve those goals. IE 2018 Midterms.

From a political standpoint it may not be an easy thing to do.

Avoid and deflect. Avoid and deflect. Avoid and... yeah we know you got this one down.

You still think you have a movement, don't you?

There's no Hillary to run against this time. The Con had 74 million vote against him to his 62 million. And of those 62 a large portion were just anti-Hillary votes and reluctant party votes. This will all be about Trump's performance now. Everything has changed. You can't push the agenda he is AND grow the economy. If he had stuck with jobs, outdated and short term as they are, I'd say you're probably right, but that's not the path he seems to be going. When you have protest every turn you take, companies take notice.

Last edited:
Oregoropa, I apologize, I made a mistake. I thought Irvine had posted about this:

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/31...-supremacist-infiltration-of-law-enforcement/

I guess I read the article around the time Irvine posted and just made an assumption. I could've sworn I clicked the link to be sure, but I was mistaken. I am very sorry, while you may have been a bit flippant (though as you say, you were driving) your post was clearly in line with Irvine's. I made a mistake.

But this does raise a valid counterpoint to your argument that there is not a white supremacy uprising upon us.

No problemo. I'll check it out. Thanks for your candor.

LuckyNumber7 said:
I'm glad I'm not going crazy when I said I have no idea what's going on.

Well. I could always be crazy, still.

Let's all just take a deep breath . . . and just kinda have a light hearted moment. It gets a bit exhausting being so amped through the keyboards

Well said !

Let's all just take a deep breath . . . and just kinda have a light hearted moment. It gets a bit exhausting being so amped through the keyboards

Oh no worries here. I'm currently a part of two message boards. On the other one, I'm part of a three person committee of anti-Trump folk in a sea of pro-Trump. At the very least, I can relate with how exhausting it is to have so much to answer. And I play your role, being the only one of the minority who actually has the willingness to discuss (this was my point when I asked what was worse, deflection v drive by posting -- I was implying that what you may or may not do isn't as bad). Trust me, I get being overwhelmed with opposition.

But I will say this... appreciate that people are much more civil here. You get criticized, but this forum is rated PG-13. The other one I'm on is unmoderated, and the people on both sides are rather aggressive and vile.

I definitely juggle being on here and Reddit while also being at work, so it was less angry keyboard warrior'ing and more, I shouldn't do so much at the same time.

What's the other board, LN7?

Bono_212 as much as I spend time in friendly territory on Reddit, I do end up coming back here for the mix and eventually to talk about SOE.

Gosh Reddit can be addictive. Sometimes I try to get questions to take off on r/AskReddit for a couple hours at work. I'm at the point where I just ask ridiculous shit like.

Assuming Bigfoot is real, what do you think his pick is for the definitive album of the 90s?

She does come off as very apologetic. It's not "anti-white." But she is being is tad ridiculous. Her 'job to shut other white people down' is obnoxious.

Biden's backing Sec Perez. Sen Sanders backing Rep Ellison.

Ms. Brown from the video = SOL

The whites have spoken.

Oh but she's black, right? Sorry dude, but the majority of people in this country are white. We should push towards having equal representation of our demographics, but at some point you have to imagine it's not useful to be making everything about race and gender. Bernie Sanders is a notable member of congress. Yeah, he's a white old man. Who gives a flying fuck? Barack Obama is a notable black ex-president. Who does he endorse? Does he speak for black people? Are white people not allowed to endorse someone, because that would be "the whites speaking?"

Jeez dude. It undermines the value of race relations entirely if there's a massive paintbrush that colors everything either black or white. Joe Biden can be a white man and mean well for black people. And that doesn't start with him saying "I'm here to shut white people up." You want good race relations? Stop treating people like they're different. That was one of my favorite things about Obama. It didn't matter what his skin color was while he was a leader. He just did a damn good job at what he was doing.

Jeez dude. It undermines the value of race relations entirely if there's a massive paintbrush that colors everything either black or white. Joe Biden can be a white man and mean well for black people. And that doesn't start with him saying "I'm here to shut white people up." You want good race relations? Stop treating people like they're different.

:up:

Stop sorting people into identity buckets as the first order of business.

It's not about being "anti-white." It's not about some dumb sense of racial pride of being white. Those are white supremacists.

It's about simply being white and as an individual not feeling like you have to apologize just for existing. Not every white person is racist, and they don't have to apologize for the ones that are. And gross generalizations of grouping all white people together are just as bad as gross generalizations of grouping any race together.

People -- everyone, black, white, magenta, whatever -- have a responsibility to accept one another as other people. Appreciate their differences but treat them as in all other ways exactly the same.

Oh but she's black, right? Sorry dude, but the majority of people in this country are white. We should push towards having equal representation of our demographics, but at some point you have to imagine it's not useful to be making everything about race and gender. Bernie Sanders is a notable member of congress. Yeah, he's a white old man. Who gives a flying fuck? Barack Obama is a notable black ex-president. Who does he endorse? Does he speak for black people? Are white people not allowed to endorse someone, because that would be "the whites speaking?"

Jeez dude. It undermines the value of race relations entirely if there's a massive paintbrush that colors everything either black or white. Joe Biden can be a white man and mean well for black people. And that doesn't start with him saying "I'm here to shut white people up." You want good race relations? Stop treating people like they're different. That was one of my favorite things about Obama. It didn't matter what his skin color was while he was a leader. He just did a damn good job at what he was doing.

I think you missed his point by a mile.

Back
Top Bottom