Racism: glorified hyperbole in America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, obvious math that would work for any major American city with a black male population that is 50% or more.

Or did you just ignore the fact that 96% of Baton Rouge murders in 2012 were by black perpetrators?

Read your sentence:

Baton Rouge's black male population alone would make up half of black men in that city and therefore at least half the crime.

The black male population would make up half the black male population.

Baton Rouge Advocate newspaper did an article about city murders in 2012. There was a PDF with the police information that others have written about although the PDF itself now seems to be gone. 87 percent of murder victims were black males. 96 percent of the perpetrators of murder, were, drumroll...black.

So yes, my 90% isn't bullshit.

Nice source :lol: it's interesting that you use rightwing sources more than the right in here.

'Crime' does not equal 'murder', the claim earlier was 'crime', let's not make this anymore fuzzy than you have.

Typo. Obviously meant half of "men" in the city rather than "black men".

I don't even know why people go ape shit over any of this. I agree with all of you on the fact that this shit just needs to change, just don't think the narrative is always correct given all the circumstances. Higher crime rates mean a greater police presence means a greater chance of police caused homicides.

Last edited:
Your stats are in most cases accurate, and I don't think anyone argues that the crime rates in the black community are higher than other demographics.

But to look at it strictly in terms of demographics would be a huge mistake, something that the self proclaimed progressive champion of the world would know.

It's a poverty issue, not a black issue. Skin color has no bearing over your propensity to commit crime whatsoever. Centuries of socioeconomic policies aimed at keeping you down because of your skin color, on the other hand...

Poverty has a higher correlation with crime than race. That's certainly true.

Is there a cultural aspect among members of the black community that make them more likely to commit crimes? Probably given that when you adjust for factor such as poverty you still end up with more black crime. But that's not news and key members of the black community have talked about it for years.

Ending systemic poverty is the solution to a great deal of our problems. Most of it, honestly.

Poverty has a higher correlation with crime than race. That's certainly true.

Is there a cultural aspect among members of the black community that make them more likely to commit crimes? Probably given that when you adjust for factor such as poverty you still end up with more black crime. But that's not news and key members of the black community have talked about it for years.

Ending systemic poverty is the solution to a great deal of our problems. Most of it, honestly.

I agree with the general point that a focus on poverty is real important. The real tragedy is that Black people in the United States are massively disproportionately stuck in a cycle of economic misery that was, yes, started by centuries of abuse from privileged White people.

I haven't heard of studies controlling for economic well-being that show more crime from Blacks in the US. Could you share? It would certainly surprise me if that were true but I'd like to see what you have.

Poverty & Crime - Fundamental Finance

This is a good example. The paper itself mostly makes the contention that poverty has a very high correlation related to crime, but as you can see from some of the data there's still a high relationship between being black and committing crimes.

The amount of poor white Americans, for example, completely overwhelms the amount of poor black ones in sheer numbers yet the group of poor black Americans likely is involved with far more crimes if we're just taking a look at the amount currently in prison.

Now, we could go further into the overall effects of systemic racism, blah blah blah. No doubt that those have an immeasurable impact. There's been similar studies beyond crime such as education that show black students performing worse even when you take into account economic disparity, etc. There's always going to be cultural and societal racism forces at play. Otherwise, are we just going to say that Asians are inherently smarter than everyone else because they perform way better in school?

Crazy how once social media kicked off, we got a bunch of frequent visual evidence of the systemic racism in policing that black people had been talking about for decades.

Crazier still how black people are definitely making it all up and ignoring their culture of crime!

but as you can see from some of the data there's still a high relationship between being black and committing crimes.

Committing? Or getting arrested and convicted?

White teenagers have a much smaller conviction rate than black teenagers when it comes to marijuana possession. It's not even close, yet the numbers are almost even when it comes to both admitting use.

Committing? Or getting arrested and convicted?

White teenagers have a much smaller conviction rate than black teenagers when it comes to marijuana possession. It's not even close, yet the numbers are almost even when it comes to both admitting use.

I agree with you on drug crimes, but could you really make this argument on violent crimes?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Depends on how you define "violent." How many sexual assaults go unreported or uninvestigated?

Depends on how you define "violent." How many sexual assaults go unreported or uninvestigated?

This is a really good point, and somewhere where our horrific lack of data makes it hard to reach good conclusions, sadly.

I agree with you on drug crimes, but could you really make this argument on violent crimes?

Yes, white men get away with domestic abuse, rape, and assault more than someone of color.

Don't you think you should just kill yourself or at least give everything you have to people of color, as one small step towards all the reparations owed?

Crazy how once social media kicked off, we got a bunch of frequent visual evidence of the systemic racism in policing that black people had been talking about for decades.

Crazier still how black people are definitely making it all up and ignoring their culture of crime!

I've seen some of the videos. It's murder. Almost nobody here is denying that.

As far as violent crimes are concerned, if anyone's "getting away" with them, then we have a problem. But I doubt there's whites getting away with major crimes like murder or extreme assault because they're white. And if they are, blame it on a stupid jury.

Personally, I think as a society that wants to move forward, we should have even harsher penalties when it comes to violent crimes. There's no excuse for it. If you make it a sentence that's twice as long for assaulting someone out on the street, people will pay attention. There's no excuse in 2016 for any human being to physically harm any other human being.

Don't you think you should just kill yourself or at least give everything you have to people of color, as one small step towards all the reparations owed?

Yeah, that 3/4 of my grand and great-grandparents that I know came here deep into the 20th century as immigrants are so responsible for slavery. :up:

I've seen some of the videos. It's murder. Almost nobody here is denying that.

As far as violent crimes are concerned, if anyone's "getting away" with them, then we have a problem. But I doubt there's whites getting away with major crimes like murder or extreme assault because they're white. And if they are, blame it on a stupid jury.

Rape and domestic abuse aren't "major" crimes?

Not even 24 hours after a black man was murdered by a cop another black man has been shot reaching for his wallet in front of his girlfriend and four-year-old daughter.

Not even 24 hours after a black man was murdered by a cop another black man has been shot reaching for his wallet in front of his girlfriend and four-year-old daughter.

They fucking gunned him down in front of his child. He did everything right. He had a permit to carry and informed the fucking cop. They told him to reach for his ID and they fucking shot him. I just can't comprehend that. The video is heartbreaking to watch, I just can't believe they murdered him like that

The NRA did not intend for conceal carry to be extended to the black folk, because even the true progressive knows if you're black you commit more crimes.

UMMM I just found out that YOUR FUCKING POLICE are not a Government body?!?!! But controlled by local councils?!!?!? What the ABSOLUTE FUCK?!!!!

UMMM I just found out that YOUR FUCKING POLICE are not a Government body?!?!! But controlled by local councils?!!?!? What the ABSOLUTE FUCK?!!!!

We have state police and local police, both are part of those government bodies. I'm not sure I understand your outrage.

from a friend (who happens to live in MN):

"it depends on the city and their mayoral system, for the most part. either the mayor or the city council has *some* control over what the cops do. city council approves their budgets, etc.

in minneapolis proper, we have a weak mayoral system, so more of the power goes to city council, but it's still mostly budgetary power. the cops can make their own policies and procedures. that's why the body cam thing is so weird in our state...cities implemented usage of them and created policies, but now the state legislature has been trying to create a law that would create some rules on how long the videos are kept. and if that ever passes, cops will be subject to following that.

uh, so basically it's a big mess as to who runs the cops?"

And then he realises what he's done and starts yelling. There is something deeply, deeply wrong about America.
Well, yea... but there's something deeply wrong with society in general. So it's hardly our issue alone (except the gun issue, of course. That shit's all ours... USA!)

The officer is clearly in a panic after the incident. You can hear it in his voice as he's screaming about telling him not to reach for anything. The woman contradicts him and says that he did tell him for his license and registration. Whos telling the truth is unclear. Probably somewhere in between.

The emotion from this video is overwhelming, but there is a jump to conclusions already by most. I suppose that's unavoidable, and the conclusions aren't exactly hard to jump to.

We don't know if the driver reached for his gun or not. We don't know if the officer told him not to reach for anything and he disobeyed the order, even if the disobeying of the order was innocent in nature (as in he was truly just going for his wallet). We don't know if the officer is lying to try and cover for what he clearly now sees as a huge mistake, and/or is panicking because of the cell phone video and trying to cover for his actions.

It's another reason why somebody on the national level needs to step in and mandate body cameras for all police forces. They aren't fool proof, and the video can still miss important details - but at the very least we'd know exactly how the interaction prior to the start of the video we have went down. Clearly some time passed between the shooting and the video being taken as the daughter had already been removed from the back seat of the car. In a time when middle schoolers are walking around with cameras that can go live to the world at a push of a button the fact that body cameras aren't mandatory nation wide for all police officers, for our protection and there's, is utterly baffling.

If you could see the driver making a quick movement after he was told not to reach for anything, this is a completely different story. If you saw that the officer didn't say anything about keeping his hands in sight then the DA's office can be much more confident in their case against the officer.

If in the end everything happened exactly as this woman described, then I'm sure the NRA will be there for the family of the victim to provide legal and financial support as he was a licensed gun owner.

Oh wait...

Back
Top Bottom