Racism: glorified hyperbole in America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol. Yeah just saw you tweet that. Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

^ wow.

I shared that on Twitter and was sent this in reply :huh:

BvSXrzHCcAARRjK.jpg

Looks like one of those white supremacists.

Looks like one of those white supremacists.

The caption above the pictures is correct. The story was buried.

This goes back to my original post. The "race baiters" will select only
events they can use to continue their narrative that everything is about race.

It is a false and destructive narrative.

As false and as destructive as the KKKs.

I wasn't talking about the incident, I was talking about the Twitter user and his ridiculous comments.

The caption above the pictures is correct. The story was buried.

This goes back to my original post. The "race baiters" will select only

events they can use to continue their narrative that everything is about race.

It is a false and destructive narrative.

As false and as destructive as the KKKs.

All violent crimes are deplorable. Do you not see the difference when it's by police(if unjustifiable) or motivated by race?

http://www.stonekettle.com/2014/08/pressure-cooker.html?m=1

When the police refer to the black population as “animals,” on record, to a reporter, it’s about race.

When the population is predominately black and the police force is predominately white, it’s about race.

When the dialog focuses on the dead teenager’s appearance, his clothing, his friends, his school record, his family, his habits and haunts and hangouts, when the media publically debates whether he was a “good son” or a “thug,” it’s about race.

When the media openly speculates about the victim’s possible drug use or criminal history, it’s about race.

When your perception of the dead teen’s guilt or innocence is determined by which political party you belong to or which political pundit you listen to, it’s about race.

When you attempt to justify the death of a black teenager because other black people smashed windows and lit shit on fire in protest, it’s about race.

When you attempt to dismiss another dead black teenager at the hands of the police by quoting statistics about “black on black” crime, it’s about race.

When you’re more outraged about the unconstitutional arrest and intimidation of white reporters than you are about the unconstitutional shooting of a black teenager, it’s about race.

When you’re more concerned about the militarization of white police than you are about the fact that those same police gunned down a black teenager for no apparent reason other than he happened to be walking down a public street while black, just like any of a hundred other black teenagers gunned down by those in authority, it’s about race.

When you suggest with a knowingly raised eyebrow that a black teenager ought to be smart enough to immediately submit to police authority without any trace of resentment or risk summary execution, but you think a bunch of white ranchers are patriots for defying the government and pointing assault rifles at federal agents, it’s about race.

When those things, all of those things, are what determines in the court of public opinion whether or not the dead kid deserved what he got or whether he was a victim, well, folks, then it’s about race.

When a white cop shoots dead an unarmed black teenager, it’s about race.

In America, it’s always about race.

That feels like a shop, just because of how poor the grammar is in the second pictures, not any other reason beyond that.

We still don't know all the facts of this shooting
yet the "race baiters" and the mainstream US media
continue to make accusations/threats and run hours
of almost round the clock coverage.

USA Today ran a report a day or two ago that gave statistics
police involved shootings a year. The most recent report: 97
of the 400 killed were black.

This from MSNBC is an example, I think, of this dangerous hyperbole
and lies.

Michelle Bernard - There’s a U.S. " War on Black Boys " Could Turn " Genocide " if We Don’t Stop It - YouTube

"We live in a political world
Love don’t have any place
We’re living in times where men commit crimes
And crime don’t have a face"

~Bob Dylan

14.1% of the United States is black

97/400 = 24.25%

If it was even, there should "only" be 58 (57.64) black shootings.

We still don't know all the facts of this shooting

yet the "race baiters" and the mainstream US media

continue to make accusations/threats and run hours

of almost round the clock coverage.
All outlets are running "round the clock coverage", but who is making threats?

USA Today ran a report a day or two ago that gave statistics

police involved shootings a year. The most recent report: 97

of the 400 killed were black.

Um, that's disproportionally a lot. And I would venture a guess to say that number is even higher in unarmed shootings.

I think this is pretty much spot on. I've stayed out of this convo for a while as I don't know the details, it's hardly on the news here (though did get some coverage in the newspaper), so I can't really say much.
But it strikes me as odd that in the US, there seems to be such a focus on the race part, it's just odd. Now I won't say there's no racism in the Netherlands at all, but I don't think we've had riots like that here, nor the portrayal on the news that seems to put black people in a more negative light. I reckon most don't really care where people come from, if they break the law, they break the law. Then again, we hardly ever shoot people so I guess that prevents that debate here.
It just seems so different in the US, when you see the news shows (we have CNN here), read the papers.. it's almost like there is an obsession with race. Whether it's white people being racist, or black people claiming they can't be racist because they're black, there's always something. For instance, I've never understood why a black person is supposed to be called an African American. What if he's not from Africa, but born in the US or anywhere else in the world? It makes no sense!
Where does this difference in perception of the US versus say, Europe come from? Historically, there were slaves all over the world, also in the Netherlands and other parts of Europe.. so we share that. Where did it differ?

I think this is pretty much spot on. I've stayed out of this convo for a while as I don't know the details, it's hardly on the news here (though did get some coverage in the newspaper), so I can't really say much.
But it strikes me as odd that in the US, there seems to be such a focus on the race part, it's just odd. Now I won't say there's no racism in the Netherlands at all, but I don't think we've had riots like that here, nor the portrayal on the news that seems to put black people in a more negative light. I reckon most don't really care where people come from, if they break the law, they break the law. Then again, we hardly ever shoot people so I guess that prevents that debate here.
It just seems so different in the US, when you see the news shows (we have CNN here), read the papers.. it's almost like there is an obsession with race. Whether it's white people being racist, or black people claiming they can't be racist because they're black, there's always something. For instance, I've never understood why a black person is supposed to be called an African American. What if he's not from Africa, but born in the US or anywhere else in the world? It makes no sense!
Where does this difference in perception of the US versus say, Europe come from? Historically, there were slaves all over the world, also in the Netherlands and other parts of Europe.. so we share that. Where did it differ?

I've always thought Europeans seemed to handle the issue of race relations much better than the U.S.

Your post confirms this to me.

More to comment your post but...
I'm short on time so I will say this and
back later.

I taught 7th grade language arts in a public school.

Every year we would read the novel Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt.
It's a story set during the American Civil War.

During my introduction of the book to the class I would ask
them to raise their hands if they might have ancestors who were
slaves.

All the black students would immediately raise their hands.

I would wait about a minute and then raise my hand.

Instantly I would get a puzzled response from students?

That's not true. You are white.

This would lead into an interesting discussion on the worldwide
history of slavery (in all races of people) and it's continued practice in some parts of
the world today.

During my introduction of the book to the class I would ask

them to raise their hands if they might have ancestors who were

slaves.

All the black students would immediately raise their hands.

I would wait about a minute and then raise my hand.

I know I've asked you this before but maybe you missed it, but to what government and how many generations back have you traced your family's slavery?

I know I've asked you this before but maybe you missed it, but to what government and how many generations back have you traced your family's slavery?

Did you even read my post?

The question to the students was.... "might have ancestors who were slaves."

My point was to discuss how slavery has been practice by virtually all cultures and societies at one time or another throughout history.

So, yes. I think all of us could raise our hands.

Did your students understand the point you were trying to make?

Actually,
what is the point that you're trying to make?

My point was to discuss how slavery has been practice by virtually all cultures and societies at one time or another throughout history.

You don't think it diminishes the impact slavery has on this country. If you even had slavery in your ancestry, it's so far removed that you are not affected. A black person in the US only needs to go back a few generations and know that it was still under this constitution, this country, there are still people in the south that try and defend the south's view, and that segregation was only a few decades ago. That all still has affect. It's fine to talk about the fact that the US is not the only country to have slavery, but what you're doing is completely irresponsible and historically inaccurate.

Geert Wilders, though? :wink:

This remains one of the stupidest points I have ever heard made. It is beyond being disingenuous. Race was never an issue in slavery say with the Romans, it did not target a specific group of people and it was also of a much different form. There is no equivalence to the mass industrial capture and enslavement in the Atlantic Slave Trade, that has lasting repercussions til this day.

It boggles the mind how people can think that treating Black people as little more than animals for 400 years can be resolved in 50.

I wouldn't crow about race relations in Europe either, the problems aren't just necessarily close to the surface. You only need to look into some quite recent troubles in France with African populations to see it isn't all cosy, or the comments made by Italian government ministers about Black people that you would never here a US politician make and actually survive on in their jobs.

I wouldn't crow about race relations in Europe either, the problems aren't just necessarily close to the surface. You only need to look into some quite recent troubles in France with African populations to see it isn't all cosy, or the comments made by Italian government ministers about Black people that you would never here a US politician make and actually survive on in their jobs.

Not to mention what looks to be a growing Neo-Nazi movement in Germany and parts of north Europe.

It boggles the mind how people can think that treating Black people as little more than animals for 400 years can be resolved in 50.

Are you referring to the end of American slavery? It's been about 150 years since the end of the Civil War.

speaking of the Civil War - I'm so proud of my great-great grandfather who fought for the Union in a Kentucky (border state) Infantry Regiment.

EDIT: I'm not suggesting 150 years is enough time to undo the injustice of slavery. I just wanted to clarify that American slavery ended about 150 years ago.

IH, do you think that your family history of slavery affects your life today in the same way that an African American's family history of slavery affects theirs?

Back
Top Bottom