Racism: glorified hyperbole in America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's not get carried away. The police are not "terrorist groups" in black neighborhoods. And a dictionary definition is being overly technical about what terrorism means.

Hell, in black communities, the police could be considered a terrorist group, albeit one that's supported by the state. The definition of terrorism according to the Encyclopedia Britannica is "the systematic use of violence to create a general climate of fear in a population and thereby to bring about a particular political objective." I'd argue that in black communities, this applies to the police. They enforce their power through violence and brutality and often kill people through extra judicial means. Many black people fear the police as a result. Police also enforce the mass incarceration policies that are designed to incarcerate black Americans. The War on Drugs is the new Jim Crow and was designed to create a racial caste system. So you have systemic violence that creates fear that's designed to achieve a political objective.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Wish you'd pump the brakes a little bit on your law enforcement take.

Wish you'd pump the brakes a little bit on your law enforcement take.

I understand that my take is extremely hot. It's obviously not meant to be taken too seriously. It's more of a Devil's advocate, sorry everyone if you're sick of that phrase. I just believe that the amount of violence that is perpetrated by black Americans along with mass incarceration policies represent a troubling form of authoritarianism that white Americans support because it isn't directed against them.

The definition of terrorism according to the Encyclopedia Britannica is "the systematic use of violence to create a general climate of fear in a population and thereby to bring about a particular political objective."

So, what is the political objective of black-on-black violence which certainly "terrorizes" the black community hundreds of times more than some cops occasionally going off the handle.

I got their intention, certainly, I just think BLM proponents often focus almost entirely on the horrendous murders by police and don't even want to bat an eye at the bigger problem of crime in their own communities, with murder rates that dwarf those caused by police and is the reason why so many police are in the areas to begin with (and fearful).

This black cop's facebook post that went viral says what I'm getting at:

https://www.facebook.com/jay.stalien/posts/911372818974402

Last edited:
I got their intention, certainly, I just think BLM proponents often focus almost entirely on the horrendous murders by police and don't even want to bat an eye at the bigger problem of crime in their own communities, with murder rates that dwarf those caused by police and is the reason why so many police are in the areas to begin with (and fearful).

:yawn: because they are entirely two different issues, both terrible and need to be addressed, but quit bringing up one to sweep the other under the rug. Your Hannity/Breitbart talking points are getting tiresome; no intelligent thinking person should fall for that shit.

One is an issue of violence amongst neighbors in cyclically poverty striken and poorly educated areas.

Another is an issue of violence from state paid authority figures there to protect and uphold the law. These issues are not interchangeable, you're showing your true colors by trying to play this shell game.

It baffles me how anyone could think that black people are unconcerned with black-on-black violence (I realize how much I dislike that phrase as I type it).

There is no parent who suffers through their child being hit by a stray bullet from a gang shoot-out and then just shrugs their shoulders about it, like "oh well, that's just life in south-side Chicago."

So by definition, the Trump campaign would fall under the same qualification, right? It's created an environment of hatred and distrust and few individuals acted in violence on their own accord.

You are absolutely cracked in the head. Have Trump supporters had anyone killed? Are they out chanting "kill Hispanics" or "kill blacks"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It baffles me how anyone could think that black people are unconcerned with black-on-black violence (I realize how much I dislike that phrase as I type it).

There is no parent who suffers through their child being hit by a stray bullet from a gang shoot-out and then just shrugs their shoulders about it, like "oh well, that's just life in south-side Chicago."

absolutely. gun control has much higher support among black americans than white americans.

of course, gun rights have become an essential component of white identity since the 1980s. so pretty unsurprising.

You are absolutely cracked in the head. Have Trump supporters had anyone killed? Are they out chanting "kill Hispanics" or "kill blacks"?

That's pretty much my point. BLM is not an organized group; there are no fees, national newsletter or elected leaders, it's a movement. And so far there has not been any real connection with the shooters and any previous BLM activities, they acted out on their own hate riding the coattails of the event.

Just like individuals who beat a Hispanic US citizen nearly to death in the name of Trump or the Neo Nazis that attacking people outside his rallies.

Pay attention to the facts, not the agenda.

First of all, that kind of behavior is run of the mill, every day stuff for these BLM thugs. Find me a source where Trump supporters are out looting people, burning down businesses and committing wide spread assault? Find me a source where Trump supporters have hijacked and permanently destroyed cities by committing senseless violence against innocent people? Find me a source where someone was actually killed in the name of Trump? And again my original question, find me some video or source of Trump supporters chanting "death to Hispanics" or "death to blacks".
Moreover, Trump shot down the violence immediately. Unlike BLM, which after weeks of dead cops on the streets gives some half-ass apology.

First of all, that kind of behavior is run of the mill, every day stuff for these BLM thugs. Find me a source where Trump supporters are out looting people, burning down businesses and committing wide spread assault? Find me a source where Trump supporters have hijacked and permanently destroyed cities by committing senseless violence against innocent people? Find me a source where someone was actually killed in the name of Trump? And again my original question, find me some video or source of Trump supporters chanting "death to Hispanics" or "death to blacks".
Moreover, Trump shot down the violence immediately. Unlike BLM, which after weeks of dead cops on the streets gives some half-ass apology.

i'm an optimist. i really am. i still think the world only spins forward.

but it's stuff like this that makes me so very, very worried about everything. :(

That's pretty much my point. BLM is not an organized group; there are no fees, national newsletter or elected leaders, it's a movement. And so far there has not been any real connection with the shooters and any previous BLM activities, they acted out on their own hate riding the coattails of the event.

Just like individuals who beat a Hispanic US citizen nearly to death in the name of Trump or the Neo Nazis that attacking people outside his rallies.

Pay attention to the facts, not the agenda.

The amount of "violence" caused by Trump supporters is so minuscule compared to that of BLM. It's not even remotely close. Have trump supporters tried to kill anyone?
An "environment of hatred"? Give me a break. Pay attention to the facts, not your personal agenda. Your agenda makes it about Hispanics, we make it about lawbreaking illegals.

Have trump supporters tried to kill anyone?
Once again; is this BLM or individuals acting on their own?

An "environment of hatred"? Give me a break. Pay attention to the facts, not your personal agenda. Your agenda makes it about Hispanics, we make it about lawbreaking illegals.
False. Don't kid yourself. Trump's first rant talked about Mexico sending rapist, and he's sure there are a few good ones. Never did he mention illegal. He then made a comment about Jeb is light on immigration because his wife is Hispanic. Then the judge who was born in the US should recuse himself because he's Hispanic. He's painted them all with the same brush, it doesn't matter if they are legal or not, he's made the attack about Hispanics, open your eyes.

Some cops kill black people, therefore every single cop hates black people. See how easy it is to stereotype?

And wrong, people who are widely considered to be leaders of BLM (even though it isn't an organization, but rather a movement which has no leaders), immediately condemned the killings in Dallas.

i'm an optimist. i really am. i still think the world only spins forward.

but it's stuff like this that makes me so very, very worried about everything. :(

I always remind myself how these people will be looked at in 60 years.

ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1468873793.993866.jpg

And wrong, people who are widely considered to be leaders of BLM (even though it isn't an organization, but rather a movement which has no leaders), immediately condemned the killings in Dallas.

Yep. They've stated that openly in TV interviews. And when they've explained the concept of their movement in said interviews, absolutely nowhere in their explanations have they once advocated violence towards police or civilians.

Terrorists, on the other hand, tend to take credit for the violence that happens, whether they were actively involved or not. And they don't take the time to explain their message on your average late night talk show or town hall meeting. Kinda goes against the whole "terrorist" mindset/behavior, after all.

Just a reminder of the difference for you, bob, if you read this.

Last edited:
:yawn: because they are entirely two different issues, both terrible and need to be addressed, but quit bringing up one to sweep the other under the rug.

I'm not sweeping it under the rug, just pointing out that the amount of, say, Twitter text devoted to police murders far overwhelms that devoted to black-on-black violence even though the latter accounts for far, far more violence. You're not going to address fearful police until you try to fix the problem of crime in the community. To outsiders, BLM just looks like some anti-police group, waiting for the next incident that they can point fingers at. Every murdered suspect then becomes some innocent martyr whose egregious sins are overlooked and every cop becomes the devil incarnate, no matter the circumstances.

If Black Lives Matter, focus on all black deaths lost to violence, not just from what are usually murky situations with cops.

I'm not sweeping it under the rug, just pointing out that the amount of, say, Twitter text devoted to police murders far overwhelms that devoted to black-on-black violence even though the latter accounts for far, far more violence. You're not going to address fearful police until you try to fix the problem of crime in the community. To outsiders, BLM just looks like some anti-police group, waiting for the next incident that they can point fingers at. Every murdered suspect then becomes some innocent martyr whose egregious sins are overlooked and every cop becomes the devil incarnate, no matter the circumstances.

If Black Lives Matter, focus on all black deaths lost to violence, not just from what are usually murky situations with cops.

Black lives matter isn't only about violence. Like I said, they are separate issues. Black lives matter is about the fact that police will show much more hesitation and restraint if the skin color is light. Look at the statistics of unarmed white arrests vs black being shot. It shows people that some lives are more valuable than others, that's what this is about.

Every murdered suspect then becomes some innocent martyr whose egregious sins are overlooked and every cop becomes the devil incarnate, no matter the circumstances.

I don't think anyone is claiming that all the people struck down by police violence are model citizens. But how is it conscionable that someone like Eric Garner should die over selling loose cigarettes?

Can you really not distinguish between killings carried out by ordinary citizens and killings carried out by agents of the state and why the difference between those two matters?

Back
Top Bottom