Racism: glorified hyperbole in America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is where the pessimist in me comes out.

It really looks like something staged for the photo op. She made her point.

But, the good news: She was using her right to protest peacefully, and the police were very cool with her. She was released later that night.

That's good news :). Glad to hear about one of these kinds of encounters ending well for a change.

And even if your assumption is true about it being a photo op, it shows a peaceful side to the protests that sadly gets drowned out by the violence, so I'd be okay with it being staged if it gets that message out there in the process.

People were asking about our experiences as POC, so here are mine.

I'm not a black man, but I have been pulled over because of the color of my skin and it was humiliating. I was in West Virginia for a wedding, and driving to Pittsburgh to catch my flight back to LA. The State Trooper who pulled us over, asked why we were there because we obviously weren't locals. He then questioned us as to why there was loose plastic, when I went to show him he became agitated. And yet I still have it better than African Americans in this country.

Back in California, my apartment was swatted. This is when someone calls in a fake 911 call. At 1am I was woken up to LAPD banging on my apartment door. I was half asleep when I opened it to find 2 swat officers pointing their assault rifles at me. It was terrifying. They then searched my apartment because they were told there were gunshots fired from my building. To this day, I wonder what would have happened if I weren't a small Latina.

Shit like that is why we'll never be able to have a legit conversation about race in this country.

Oh, maybe not as hopeless as it seems at this moment.

Was listening to local WNYC AM Radio (public radio) this late morning so local host (not NPR) had on Film Director Stanley Nelson (who was a teen in The 60's) who just recently completed and had shown at ASundance Festival his new film on the Black Panthers, and was also very recently shown on PBS channels.

Before the hot button might go off on the mention of TBP....

Mr Nelson was saying he actually did feel some hope particularly seeing many white young people (+ Latinos, Asians) joining many of BLM marches.I'd have to podcast it re catch some more of his coments... I got waylaid by that photo I mentioned.

Last edited:
This is where the pessimist in me comes out.

It really looks like something staged for the photo op. She made her point.

But, the good news: She was using her right to protest peacefully, and the police were very cool with her. She was released later that night.

The photographer thought he heard her Ms Evans say to people by her that she was going to stay there and be arrested.

So I don't know if that fits your definition of "staged", but...

Social media has been calling it a reminder of Tianiman Sq tank guy.

Last edited:
Here is the name and author of the book I started to mention yesterday
on why he thinks the police system here in The USA is broken, and what can be done tinfix it.

He was a beat cop in San Diego and later Chief Of Police in Seattle

Protect and Serve: How to Fix America's Police. By Norm Stamper

I heard him on same radio station / program mentioned earlier Excellent interview.

Last edited:
People were asking about our experiences as POC, so here are mine.

I'm not a black man, but I have been pulled over because of the color of my skin and it was humiliating. I was in West Virginia for a wedding, and driving to Pittsburgh to catch my flight back to LA. The State Trooper who pulled us over, asked why we were there because we obviously weren't locals. He then questioned us as to why there was loose plastic, when I went to show him he became agitated. And yet I still have it better than African Americans in this country.

Back in California, my apartment was swatted. This is when someone calls in a fake 911 call. At 1am I was woken up to LAPD banging on my apartment door. I was half asleep when I opened it to find 2 swat officers pointing their assault rifles at me. It was terrifying. They then searched my apartment because they were told there were gunshots fired from my building. To this day, I wonder what would have happened if I weren't a small Latina.

tj9 :hug: how fucking terrifying!!!! Yeah, your gender, and small build probably saved you from some possible physical injury. I've heard about this (false SWAT s) off a& on.

Uh oh driving while POC , out of your locale particularly.... potential for difficulties. :sigh:

Thank you for telling us your experiences.

Last edited:
Devastating: This Guy Knows Exactly How Black People Should Act Around Police Officers, But He Has No Black Friends To Tell About It

The deaths of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile, two black men killed by police officers last week, have sent a wave of mourning across America. What makes these deaths even more painful is that they could have been prevented by Stuart Farren, a 43-year-old Indianapolis resident who after diligent consideration has figured out exactly how black Americans should act when confronted by police officers. Sadly, although Farren possesses the secrets for how black people can survive police encounters, he tragically has no black friends with whom he can share his wisdom.

Absolutely heartbreaking.

Police brutality is a pressing issue, and Farren knows that he cannot stay silent on how he believes black Americans should behave during encounters with law enforcement. He often composes impassioned Facebook posts declaring that black people “just need to do what the police say and stop dressing like and they won’t have any reason to worry.” But in a cruel twist of fate, there are no black people in Farren’s social network to benefit from his crucial advice.

Farren’s extensive knowledge of how the black community should navigate encounters with the police came from hours spent thinking about hypothetical situations in which pretend black people encountered pretend police officers. From these rigorous thought experiments, he was able to develop a series of techniques, such as “being civil” and “following the rules,” that could help African Americans prevent the police from harming them.

It’s devastating to realize that this is information that Farren could have shared with the black people in his community if he knew any of them.

Farren’s thoughts on how black people should behave do not stop at interactions with the police. He also recently told a group of white people that the most pressing threat to the black community is “black-on-black crime.” If only he had ever befriended any black people in his life, he could have imparted this crucial insight and possibly saved some lives.

Tragically, because he rarely interacts with members of any minority group unless he absolutely has to, it’s unlikely that the black community will be able to benefit from Farren’s profound understanding of racially fraught police encounters any time soon. This time at least, his comprehensive, detailed prescriptions for black Americans just weren’t quite enough.

We can only hope that they can somehow find a way to understand racism on their own.

Absolutely heartbreaking.

Although compliance certainly would have helped in a lot of situations...

Obama's speech at the memorial service in Dallas, for anyone who's interested. It's a good one.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/read-president-obama-speech-dallas-203011684.html

When anyone, no matter how good their intentions may be, paints all police as biased, or bigoted, we undermine those officers that we depend on for our safety. And as for those who use rhetoric suggesting harm to police, even if they don’t act on it themselves, well, they not only make the jobs of police officers even more dangerous, but they do a disservice to the very cause of justice that they claim to promote.

We also know that centuries of racial discrimination, of slavery, and subjugation, and Jim Crow; they didn’t simply vanish with the law against segregation. They didn’t necessarily stop when a Dr. King speech, or when the civil rights act or voting rights act were signed. Race relations have improved dramatically in my lifetime. Those who deny it are dishonoring the struggles that helped us achieve that progress. But we know…

But America, we know that bias remains. We know it, whether you are black, or white, or Hispanic, or Asian, or native American, or of Middle Eastern descent, we have all seen this bigotry in our own lives at some point. We’ve heard it at times in our own homes. If we’re honest, perhaps we’ve heard prejudice in our own heads and felt it in our own hearts. We know that. And while some suffer far more under racism’s burden, some feel to a far greater extent discrimination’s stain. Although most of us do our best to guard against it and teach our children better, none of us is entirely innocent. No institution is entirely immune, and that includes our police departments. We know this.

And so when African-Americans from all walks of life, from different communities across the country, voice a growing despair over what they perceive to be unequal treatment, when study after study shows that whites and people of color experience the criminal justice system differently. So that if you’re black, you’re more likely to be pulled over or searched or arrested; more likely to get longer sentences; more likely to get the death penalty for the same crime. When mothers and fathers raised their kids right, and have the talk about how to respond if stopped by a police officer — yes, sir; no, sir — but still fear that something terrible may happen when their child walks out the door; still fear that kids being stupid and not quite doing things right might end in tragedy.

When all this takes place, more than 50 years after the passage of the Civil Rights Act, we cannot simply turn away and dismiss those in peaceful protest as troublemakers or paranoid.

We can’t simply dismiss it as a symptom of political correctness or reverse racism. To have your experience denied like that, dismissed by those in authority, dismissed perhaps even by your white friends and coworkers and fellow church members, again and again and again, it hurts. Surely we can see that, all of us.

We also know what Chief Brown has said is true, that so much of the tensions between police departments and minority communities that they serve is because we ask the police to do too much and we ask too little of ourselves.

As a society, we choose to under-invest in decent schools. We allow poverty to fester so that entire neighborhoods offer no prospect for gainful employment. We refuse to fund drug treatment and mental health programs.

We flood communities with so many guns that it is easier for a teenager to buy a Glock than get his hands on a computer or even a book.

And then we tell the police, “You’re a social worker; you’re the parent; you’re the teacher; you’re the drug counselor.” We tell them to keep those neighborhoods in check at all costs and do so without causing any political blowback or inconvenience; don’t make a mistake that might disturb our own peace of mind. And then we feign surprise when periodically the tensions boil over.

I'm going to miss this guy when he leaves office.

Sheriff Clarke castrates Don Lemon on live TV.
https://youtu.be/dAu44wVgb58

Props to Sheriff Clarke for calling BLM what it is: a terrorist group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So by definition, the Trump campaign would fall under the same qualification, right? It's created an environment of hatred and distrust and few individuals acted in violence on their own accord.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Hell, in black communities, the police could be considered a terrorist group, albeit one that's supported by the state. The definition of terrorism according to the Encyclopedia Britannica is "the systematic use of violence to create a general climate of fear in a population and thereby to bring about a particular political objective." I'd argue that in black communities, this applies to the police. They enforce their power through violence and brutality and often kill people through extra judicial means. Many black people fear the police as a result. Police also enforce the mass incarceration policies that are designed to incarcerate black Americans. The War on Drugs is the new Jim Crow and was designed to create a racial caste system. So you have systemic violence that creates fear that's designed to achieve a political objective.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom