Pure, uneducated ignorance. Go religion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I mean it. Sure, their families might be a bit upset, but the world as a whole would be better for it

I worded it in a way to show it would be of their own doing. They're sealing themselves in the barrels. It's not murder, at least

How is it fish in a barrel? It would be if it were hypothetical, but it's a real fucking problem. The only reason you think they're being unreasonable us because you're less religious than they are.
It couldn't be any more of a religious issue. And the worst part is this sort of thing happens all the time. It's not the work of a couple crackpots

It's somewhere in the middle. There are plenty of religious people who would agree that this is crazy and ridiculous, definitely.

But at the same time, JT is right, people DO actually try and pass laws supporting creationist dogma being taught in schools. It is something of an issue in certain parts of the country and we need to do something about it. This story is...insane. Absolutely insane.

Does this mean a student can write a biological essay about how humans walked with tyrannosaurus rex and not be marked down, even though it's irrefutable fact? Because that is as ridiculous as it is scary.

Moonlit_Angel said:
It's somewhere in the middle. There are plenty of religious people who would agree that this is crazy and ridiculous, definitely.

There are, I would agree. We've got a lot of those kinds of rational people on the site. But again, I would argue that they're less religious than the fundamental ones

It's not the degree, it's the type. Now I'm not especially religious myself, but there is zero reason why this sort of ascientific nonsense should go hand-in-hand with belief per se.

What it is, is of a piece with the Tea Party and the other culture-war currents in contemporary American life. The term Christian Taliban is not inapt.

Jive Turkey said:
There are, I would agree. We've got a lot of those kinds of rational people on the site. But again, I would argue that they're less religious than the fundamental ones

Even though I define beliefs as more spiritual than religious, I don't think it's fair to say a non-fundie has less faith than a fundamentalist. Then again, I'd say both sides have different types of faith - one is narrow minded and follows the crowd, the other is more about finding their own way and defining God for themselves.

There are some issues that are broad and complicated enough to merit debate and careful consideration of all sides of the argument.

This is not one of them.

digitize said:
There are some issues that are broad and complicated enough to merit debate and careful consideration of all sides of the argument.

This is not one of them.

It's important enough to warrant a mention

Please don't question my level of religiousness because I don't behave a certain way.

Fucking ridiculous thread and comment.

bono_212 said:
Please don't question my level of religiousness because I don't behave a certain way.

Fucking ridiculous thread and comment.

You get upset every time someone makes a comment about religion, though it's rarely directed at you. You'd be better served not taking everything so personally. I stand by my comment that those following the bible more literally (ie, refusing to take into account modern science in regard to evolution, age of the earth, etc) are less secular than the ones not adhering so closely with what is actually written.

How is the thread ridiculous? Should we pretend this horseshit doesn't happen?

LemonMelon said:
I follow the teachings of Christ. What the fuck does that have to do with dinosaurs?

But you pick and chose what passages to read as metaphor, no? I don't mean 'pick and choose' in a negative way either. Your rationality is a virtue

You get upset every time someone makes a comment about religion, though it's rarely directed at you. You'd be better served not taking everything so personally. I stand by my comment that those following the bible more literally (ie, refusing to take into account modern science in regard to evolution, age of the earth, etc) are less secular than the ones not adhering so closely with what is actually written.

How is the thread ridiculous? Should we pretend this horseshit doesn't happen?

Every time? Really?

I get upset when YOU go overboard, which you almost always do.

Why don't you go start a thread where you spend the entire time talking about how stupid and idiotic you find fundies (aka almost all of my close family) and how you wish they'd seal themselves in an oil drum and roll off a cliff and I promise to put it on ignore, rather than on a regular basis, and not just in FYM threads, throwing around YOUR OPINION as though it were fact.

And the comment was directed at me, whether you'd like to admit it or not, as I don't consider myself a fundie and therefore, according to your logic, am somehow less religious.

I take that comment very personally.

bono_212 said:
Every time? Really?

I get upset when YOU go overboard, which you almost always do.

Why don't you go start a thread where you spend the entire time talking about how stupid and idiotic you find fundies (aka almost all of my close family) and how you wish they'd seal themselves in an oil drum and roll off a cliff and I promise to put it on ignore, rather than on a regular basis, and not just in FYM threads, throwing around YOUR OPINION as though it were fact.

You never add anything to the conversations but vitriol. You're pretty much telling me that I can't express my opinion because it makes you mad. Too bad

But you pick and chose what passages to read as metaphor, no? I don't mean 'pick and choose' in a negative way either. Your rationality is a virtue

I have a schema and I funnel the scriptures through that. I would imagine that anyone reading it is looking for something when they do. In any case, the Bible deserves more than a literal reading.

This law attempting to be passed is patently ridiculous, but you don't need me to tell you that specific contingents of a religion shouldn't be allowed to sway law for everyone.

bono_212 said:
And the comment was directed at me, whether you'd like to admit it or not, as I don't consider myself a fundie and therefore, according to your logic, am somehow less religious.

I take that comment very personally.

Not a very productive stance for meaningful dialog. If you couldn't sense my deliberate tongue in cheek hyperbole in the original post or the follow up with deimen, I don't know what to tell you. It was an intentionally ridiculous premise

You never add anything to the conversations but vitriol. You're pretty much telling me that I can't express my opinion because it makes you mad. Too bad

Because I usually do stay out of the conversation until I get pissed off, I have admitted this before, because these conversations are almost always one sided and basically fair conversation.

The way you opened this thread completely opened you to criticism. You can't blame me for being a bit miffed when you didn't state an opinion, but rather spat an angry and stupidly offensive desire for fundies to go die.

bono_212 said:
Because I usually do stay out of the conversation until I get pissed off, I have admitted this before, because these conversations are almost always one sided and basically fair conversation.

The way you opened this thread completely opened you to criticism. You can't blame me for being a bit miffed when you didn't state an opinion, but rather spat an angry and stupidly offensive desire for fundies to go die.

Read the post just above this one. Do you really think putting people in oil drums was my evil plot? If I had said eject them into space, would you also be offended? I though it was sufficiently absurd not to be taken at face value

And now I get to sit here and wait for Deimen to say "told ya so". THAAAANKS!

Jive, you usually make rational comments and add good pointers in debates. But the way this thread opened was way over board and out of line.

I don't think you truly want fundies to die, but you've got to step back, calm down and not overreact to such news.

Coming from me, that's saying a lot :)

LemonMelon said:
I have a schema and I funnel the scriptures through that. I would imagine that anyone reading it is looking for something when they do. In any case, the Bible deserves more than a literal reading.

This law attempting to be passed is patently ridiculous, but you don't need me to tell you that specific contingents of a religion shouldn't be allowed to sway law for everyone.

This is undoubtedly at one extreme, but you can't tell me that there isnt religious meddling at various levels of ridiculousness

I don't take it at face value, Jive, but do you think it's a safe, smart way to talk towards other people?

Honestly, I'm not angry, I'm just irritated, ok? It's just this same cycle all the time. You (collective, not just you) see an article about that CRAZY fundie, you start a hyperbolic thread about how crazy they are, and then are somehow shocked when not everyone agrees or finds humor in everything said.

It happens all the time all over the Internet. Whatever, I just don't like threats of violence aimed at religion regardless of how hyperbolic they may be. But you really only raised my ire because of the comment about non-fundies which I did take offense to, regardless of whether you feel you aimed it at me or not(obviously you did not specifically, I'm aware of this fact).

I'd like to think that we always calm towards reasonable conversation after a few angry posts, so I am a little hurt by the comment about my posts being only vitriol, but if that's the impression I give off, I apologize, I really do try to stay out of these conversations.

Pearl said:
Jive, you usually make rational comments and add good pointers in debates. But the way this thread opened was way over board and out of line.

I don't think you truly want fundies to die, but you've got to step back, calm down and not overreact to such news.

Coming from me, that's saying a lot :)

Baaaaah. Fine. I'm sorry for opening that way. Like I said, I thought it was hyperbolic enough that no one would actually get upset.

Back
Top Bottom